Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How did the atmosphere come across? Really hard to gauge when you’re in the south stand
God knows I'm not criticising but on the telly it sounded a shade weak after their goal and for periods in the second half too. Ajax came over strong but not sure about us.

Like I say, I'm a thousand miles away, certainly not having a go, that's just how it sounded half the time.

Have to say, it sounded amazing at the start

Well at least we can agree on this.

Oh, and our bizarre transfer policy over recent transfer windows.

It's only bizarre in your opinion. I don't for a second think that we intended not to buy anyone.

Do you think we should just by anyone? I guarantee if we bought someone poor you'd be among the group giving him and the club stick.

It happened with Sissoko...

Was a bit dissapointed by this game. Thought ajax was at 60% and spurs at 40% of their strength

Hope Jan is Ok

Quite bizarre how the spurs medic dealt with this. Should be reprimanded/ investigated imo..

It’s very hard to win this type of game without your main goalscorers, second half I think we gave everything we had but it wasn’t enough. Thankfully it’s only 0-1 so this tie is alive still. Son can hurt them in the second game.

We must forget about the CL now, we need to beat Bournemouth to secure CL next season and then we can put all our energy into the second leg.

Positives - my first visit to Chick King since we have been back home. £2.50. Marvelous.

1882 1882 has now sampled their delights and is a convert.

Meeting up with Legacy Lilywhite Legacy Lilywhite Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman Chucklevision82 Chucklevision82 1882 1882 57 varieties 57 varieties along with 5 other mates always makes for a good crack.

There was also a guest appearance from the forum pantomime villian.

Oh, and as for the game? Shit.

Good atmosphere though.
Now my Chick King Cherry has been popped, I'm never going back to kebab!

My highlight of the evening was the moment I nabbed a ticket in the Coach and Horses pub Garden, in the company of Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor and Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman ...shame the feeling didn't last till the end of the game... but I wouldn't have changed it for the World... sometimes, just sometimes, the occasion is bigger than the result.

Losing hurts like hell... but I don't know when we'll next get to see Spurs in a Champions League Semi-final at WHL... so was determined to TRY and enjoy tonight... they didn't half make it hard though! ...and a goal woulda been nice!

Still... I left my voice inside the ground, and that's as much as I could do....

Onto the 2nd leg... still all to play for believe it or not!

God knows I'm not criticising but on the telly it sounded a shade weak after their goal and for periods in the second half too. Ajax came over strong but not sure about us.

Like I say, I'm a thousand miles away, certainly not having a go, that's just how it sounded half the time.

Have to say, it sounded amazing at the start
Fair enough, like I said it’s hard to tell, I only really heard Ajax loudly about 3-4 times and that was all in the second half (and when they scored) The atmosphere was defo flat in the south in the 2nd half but still loud enough when you’re amongst it to mask all other noise

It took the Jan injury for us to ditch the 3 at the back and we were the better team for it...or was it merely the introduction of Sissoko? Either way we started to play with more cohesion and a ‘little’ bit more freedom. They did threaten to blow us out of the water in the first 30 mins and win the tie there and then.
Take a bow Danny Rose and Moussa Sissoko - both were immense tonight. The former left the pitch exhausted and the latter sent panic through Ajax.
Perhaps now isn’t the time for recrimination and blame but Trippier for fucks sake! Dele and Eriksson though were poor and we expect a lot more from both . Big Dave redeemed himself in a flat back 4 . And all the people moaning about Wanyama - his legs have gone and he is 43 yrs old....what do you expect?
Btw It’s only half time. I’ve seen enough tonight to suggest we can get at this team, esp with Sonny back .

Ajax reminded me of how we used to play when porch was first here. Those quick hard passes straight through the other teams lines were what dier and eriksen used to do.

What I won't now do is say that result would have been different if we had strengthened. It is just as likely that we'd have the same availability.

No one can ever know.

However we can have a good guess, that on the balance of probability, and the stars lining up, our bench for a CL semi would have looked a little different to:
Dier
Walker-Peters
Sissoko
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Davies
Skipp

Two full backs, a CB who was played as a fullback, a keeper, Dier, a crocked Sissoko (who was magnificent when he came on) and a teenager that the manager seems to have no confidence in.

As I've said many times, you build a squad that can sustain you through, injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

We're suffering from all three at the moment!

I thought this was good result for what we had. I mean, what other options did Poch have with Moura and Llorente? He obviously went defensive and I bet they practiced set pieces like hell. Which is where we had the most chances from. No speed for counter either. Ajax wasn't afraid of anything. Considering, 0-1 was not a bad result. Better than going offensive with what we had and concede 3 goals. We have hope at least.

Second leg, Son would at least put Ajax on the back foot. They can't afford to leave huge space in the back like they did today. At least give everyone more space to play with.

Gullit and Dessaily on Bein say they have never seen an average, technically inferior midfield incapable of stringing few passes together at this level than Tottenhams.

Gullit giggles and continue to mention how can a PL club with so much resources ends up fielding a player of Wanyama's calibre at this stage of this competition?

Both believe this game is done and dusted.
Does anyone really disagree with him though? Its unbelievable we've let it get to this.

Now my Chick King Cherry has been popped, I'm never going back to kebab!

My highlight of the evening was the moment I nabbed a ticket in the Coach and Horses pub Garden, in the company of Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor and Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman ...shame the feeling didn't last till the end of the game... but I wouldn't have changed it for the World... sometimes, just sometimes, the occasion is bigger than the result.

Losing hurts like hell... but I don't know when we'll next get to see Spurs in a Champions League Semi-final at WHL... so was determined to TRY and enjoy tonight... they didn't half make it hard though! ...and a goal woulda been nice!

Still... I left my voice inside the ground, and that's as much as I could do....

Onto the 2nd leg... still all to play for believe it or not!

That was funny when the confirmation of your ticket came up on your phone and we all started cheering and jumping about with everyone in the beer garden wondering what the fuck was going on.

P.S are you stalking me.....

Back
Top Bottom