Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He flip flops more than a toad
Not really....we sold Dembele and Kane and Son were out in January so I wanted them positions addressed.

Simple as that.

4 months on an Eriksen is still garbage and Dele has been crap, so I’d happily cash in on them.

Let’s see what the general consensus has flip flopped on in the last two years:

We need ONE marquee signing

We need a tricky winger

We need two full backs

We need a DM

We need two CMs

We need a RB (Rose is brilliant all of a sudden)

We need a keeper

We need back up to Dele and Eriksen (so they can rest but they should never be rotated)

We shouldn’t have signed anyone in January (because we didn’t in the summer)

We don’t need a striker (Kane should never be rotated)

Should have replaced Jannsen and Llorente (because Kane needs a rest)

Sessengon is next level

Martial is better than Son

Look at Fulham and their spending

I maybe fucking mental, but I think we'll do em over there. Confident of scoring a couple. Have faith all my fellow beautiful yids.
The minute we reverted back to 4 at the back the game changed. We were in charge of that game from that point onwards and without such utterly shit deliveries and with a better strikeforce we should have had that game. I agree. Next week, with Son there, and a better execution we should get at least 1.

I maybe fucking mental, but I think we'll do em over there. Confident of scoring a couple. Have faith all my fellow beautiful yids.

We have to chase the game and they'll be seen as favourites. Fear of loss for our boys missing out on the most glorious nights of their passion and them knowing we would have had them if it wasn't for main strikers 1 & 2 not playing tonight could do some serious things to us and them.

0-1 isn't a great result but we can go there and we can turn up. Sissoko scared them, as will Son. We aren't out of this one yet so keep fighting and keep believing yiddos

The first half killed it ( mostly ) really good to start but it was so obvious really quickly that our team were not at the races and frankly you cannot kid that many people. it was always like this at the lane and it’s no different now.

I just got home. I will feel worse tomorrow than I do now. Now I feel anger. Tomorrow I will feel sadness. And we will all face the same tired jokes about bottling and the same old shit excuses.

For the Manager and Eriksen to both come out quick and say they are to blame is both brave and very upsetting. Under Poch strides have been taken, but again the load was blown and all we have left is excuses.

Genuinely I love Spurs, I don’t remember a time in my life when it did not matter to me. It always will, but tonight was possibly the biggest game of my life and it’s ended with a half arsed performance, a £65 ticket, a white flag ( ironic ) and being treated to a walk the wrong way around through Tottenham. It’s just miserable.

I have a glaring sense of dread watching Spurs at the moment and that I feel and fear I am watching a dying team.

There is simply nothing there at the moment. It’s astonishing how many problems we seem to be facing. I said this afternoon that Bournemouth was a massive game - how can that be ? - it should be a routine, it’s not nothing is now. It’s utterly turd
It's genuinely made me sad watching Poch on the line many times this season. He just looks so frustrated all the time. He is a man with beliefs and ideals on football and how it should be played etc. and to me he really look like he knows how good we could be, but he simply doesn't have the tools to make it happen anymore. Putting it simply, if we had our 16/17 level team today we blow this Ajax team away. I genuinely believe that.
Sheer rotten luck with injuries and a refusal from the powers that be to really push the boat out in regard to playing personnel has seen us regress remarkably from the quality we had not so long ago.
I hope it's not too late but I honestly think we've left far too much work for ourselves this Summer. It's a mammoth job that needs to be done to this squad.

Funny to read all the comments and see all those huge similarities with the Ajax forum .
Anyway, I think both forums agree the game was quite disappointing. Most Ajax fans are not really pleased with the result, and more importantly: not pleased with the team's performance after the first 30 minutes..
So you Spurs fans are right: these semi's are far from over. I think the chances are still close to 50-50, with Song back and Ajax having played the Cup Final three days before.
But my guess is we will be playing a lot better next week than we performed this evening.
May the best team go to the final!

Last edited:
Our crossing was playground level. Floaty balls are a goalkeeper and defenders bread and butter. Every single cross was thrown in like a fairy was tossing it up in the air. Zip, fierce behaviour non existent. Even if your teammate can't win the ball, frighten a defender into a poor clearance or corner given away. We lacked some serious brains tonight and a couple of players played with no venom (Dele).

I'm Dele's biggest fan but I worry he's turning into a big time Charlie and he thinks he's made it. I hope it's fatigue but if it isn't he's seriously running the risk of throwing away his unique talent because he's lost his edge. It reminds me of Rocky just before he gets trounced by Clubber Lang. All posters and autographs, no grit.

Spot on mate, the whole post.

It's more that I do not see this great Ajax side and that they have to play on Sunday.

We just need to be im the right frame of mind and for me that means focusing on Saturday.

Win the Bournemouth game and we can 100% go for it in the seond leg.

But no way are Ajax so much better and more fool Pochettino for buying imto the hype.

The minute we reverted back to 4 at the back the game changed. We were in charge of that game from that point onwards and without such utterly shit deliveries and with a better strikeforce we should have had that game. I agree. Next week, with Son there, and a better execution we should get at least 1.

3 at the back when they don't play withna striker and have a midfielder in De Jong is tactical suicide in hindsight. I wasn't that impressed with them in the slightest, it's given me huge encouragement, especially with them having a cup final to play on Sunday and us an extra 24 hours rest. Still all to play for but our big players need to be ruthless men. Eriksen choosing to pass to Rose instead of shooting epitomised the lack of nuts in tonight's game. Take the shot on, take some responsibility instead of pass it to your left back to score!

More bravery, less nerves and less feeling sorry for ourselves. Fight and fight to kill!

Funny to read all the comments and see all thode huge similarities with the Ajax forum :)
Anyway, I think both forums agree the game was quite disappointing. Most Ajax fans are not really pleased with the result, and more importantly: not pleased with the team's performance after the first 30 minutes..
So you Spurs fans are right: these semi's are far from over. I think the chances are still close to 50-50, with Song back and Ajax having played the Cup Final three days before.
But my guess is we will be playing a lot better next week than we performed this evening.
As I've said, you guys are extremely good offensively, but you can be got at defensively, just like us. I think it's 65-35 Ajax at this point, but we're definetely not out of it. May the best team go to the Final and win it!

Our crossing was playground level. Floaty balls are a goalkeeper and defenders bread and butter. Every single cross was thrown in like a fairy was tossing it up in the air. Zip, fierce behaviour non existent. Even if your teammate can't win the ball, frighten a defender into a poor clearance or corner given away. We lacked some serious brains tonight and a couple of players played with no venom (Dele).

I'm Dele's biggest fan but I worry he's turning into a big time Charlie and he thinks he's made it. I hope it's fatigue but if it isn't he's seriously running the risk of throwing away his unique talent because he's lost his edge. It reminds me of Rocky just before he gets trounced by Clubber Lang. All posters and autographs, no grit.
A massive MYTH was built up around Frodo's crossing, he fucking shit at crossing. When Foth came on I think he crossed more accurate balls than Trips has all season combined.

I don't think Dele had a great game, but he's playing with a broken hand/wrist. Watch him run and it's clear it's an issue (probably a mental thing, brain telling him to instinctively protect it), we simply do not have any alternatives.

Look at the contrast between him and De Ligt tonight-night and day man. He has the tools but fuck me he has gone backwards after a good start sadly:-/
He was just the wrong signing at the wrong time. I've no doubt we signed him with the idea that he would be Tobys replacement the following Summer, but whoever saw him and thought "theres the perfect long term Toby replacement' needs to get their eyes tested. Literally a totally different centre half.

Part of me genuinely thinks we just said 'he's a young highly rated centre back playing for Ajax, he must be good' (even though he's not even proper Ajax ffs)

Funny to read all the comments and see all thode huge similarities with the Ajax forum :)

I was massively impressed by you for the first 30 minutes and I started to believe the hype that surrounds you, but then after the substitution of Jan for Sissoko, and we figured you out, I honestly feel that you may have lost your chance to finish us off.

Maybe i'm being over optimistic, but I saw signs tonight that we can get at you with a bit more quality and someone like Son who can actually finish.

Second leg we will have Son which will make a huge difference. He is arguably our best player, and any team in the world would miss him. Also an outside chance of Kane making the bench. And Sissoko starting the game and he is essential to controlling midfield. Surely Eriksen and Dele can't play like that again.

Poch will approach the game differently next week and Ajax failed to kill us with their early superiority tonight, I honestly don't think their one goal will be enough so next week they're going to need to outscore us to win the tie.

Back
Top Bottom