Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was just the wrong signing at the wrong time. I've no doubt we signed him with the idea that he would be Tobys replacement the following Summer, but whoever saw him and thought "theres the perfect long term Toby replacement' needs to get their eyes tested. Literally a totally different centre half.

Part of me genuinely thinks we just said 'he's a young highly rated centre back playing for Ajax, he must be good' (even though he's not even proper Ajax ffs)
Sánchez was superb when he joined.
But Poch dropped him and he’s suffered from it.

How about you cheer the team on your own way and leave everyone else to fucking enjoy doing it the way they want to?

Who the fuck do you think you are, telling people they are cunts because they want to discuss the tactical side of the game or criticise the fucking millionaire players and the multi millionaire manager when they get stuff wrong, because they care.
I didn't say that's what you are.

You are, and it's to your credit that you recognise it.

So why bring up accidents and injuries and compare it to people moaning about a game
Because constant negativity has a detrimental effect on the suffering.
People who post negative shit about spurs on a site for supporters of THFC are normally abused as non supporters, gooners etc, but somehow you think it's acceptable if you do it.

Don't bother explaining it to me, explain it to yourself

Sánchez was superb when he joined.
But Poch dropped him and he’s suffered from it.
Nah, he wasn’t. He was a liability in the Europa final against Utd. We really aren’t very good when it comes to big signings. He might get better, but he’s got no class. He’s probably the easiest CB to play against in the league. You can blame Poch for signing him, but not for dropping him.

That was really disappointing. The players held back on Saturday for last nights game but for what?
This was the game all the players claim they want to be in and what footballs all about, yet they didn’t look like it was anything other than another game.
We were set up wrong to start with but that doesn’t explain why so many passes were going straight to their players or into empty space. Some players were shocking last night, I don’t like going in on players but Trippier was absolutely diabolical, surely Foyth is the best option we have for the few games that remain and certainly the next leg.
We only gave them a game once Sissoko came on, what a game he had.

Disappointed but we can still turn this over, let’s not forget we needed to get goals away to Man City and we got 3. We can do it but we need to turn up for the away leg.

Ajax were a class act apart from their keeper who was Holland’s answer to Ben Foster.. How the ref never booked him, I’ll never know.

Nah, he wasn’t. He was a liability in the Europa final against Utd. We really aren’t very good when it comes to big signings. He might get better, but he’s got no class. He’s probably the easiest CB to play against in the league. You can blame Poch for signing him, but not for dropping him.
He was excellent when Toby was on the naughty step. So was Davies when Rose sat there.

Both were instantly dropped when Poch decided to wipe the slate clean and Davies is expected to come in once every 9 weeks and perform, while Sánchez only gets game time in our shittest formation.

We get the first goal, we are favourites in my opinion.

Love your optimism but where’s that goal coming from? We’re a poor team that has no right being in the last 4 in the CL. I can’t think of one of our players who seriously believes they belong at this level - and that’s ok. They’re right. We haven’t played good football for a season now - we don’t scare anyone these days. We’re easy to beat and we don’t take the chances we do create.

Poch has been great for us, but he’s so obviously hanging on to what he’s got - he’s turned into a defensive manager, trying to play attritional football with players who haven’t got the stomach for it.

Love your optimism but where’s that goal coming from? We’re a poor team that has no right being in the last 4 in the CL. I can’t think of one of our players who seriously believes they belong at this level - and that’s ok. They’re right. We haven’t played good football for a season now - we don’t scare anyone these days. We’re easy to beat and we don’t take the chances we do create.

Poch has been great for us, but he’s so obviously hanging on to what he’s got - he’s turned into a defensive manager, trying to play attritional football with players who haven’t got the stomach for it.

Joe.....
This man brother

:sonpoint:

Agree our form has been off mate. We all can see that, but given the injuries we have had, we have held up ok. Are we lacking depth ? Yes. We all know that. Creativity has gone out the window. Great talents like Christian / Dele etc, just not on their game. Today, Sissoko looks like a game breaker when he came on. I am not being disrespectful to the big man, but you get my point.

But in a CL semi, it takes one or 2 moments of brilliance to change a tie. Be it Sonny or Harry ( if he's back and I doubt it ), .. we were very poor for 30 minutes today. They ( in those 30 ) were superb, yet we are still a shot IMO.

He was excellent when Toby was on the naughty step.
Wimmer was excellent when Vertonghen was injured. Now everyone laughs that we sold him for £18m.

Davies isn’t good enough. Alderweireld isn’t good enough. Trippier is a liability, Sanchez is awful. That’s why we’ve lost so many games this season. Also, to give you your due, Eriksen has been awful, so has Deli.

Maybe these were relatively average players that Poch managed to get a tune out of? Let’s face it, none of them were world beaters before they came to Spurs - in fact which one of our players was? Not one. Poch has created a rod for his own back.

Joe.....
This man brother

:sonpoint:

Agree our form has been off mate. We all can see that, but given the injuries we have had, we have held up ok. Are we lacking depth ? Yes. We all know that. Creativity has gone out the window. Great talents like Christian / Dele etc, just not on their game. Today, Sissoko looks like a game breaker when he came on. I am not being disrespectful to the big man, but you get my point.

But in a CL semi, it takes one or 2 moments of brilliance to change a tie. Be it Sonny or Harry ( if he's back and I doubt it ), .. we were very poor for 30 minutes today. They ( in those 30 ) were superb, yet we are still a shot IMO.
Every team has to cope with injuries - and hang on mate where have I said we’re going out? I’ve only commented on our safety first football. Clearly other people have their own opinions, but this isn’t the Tottenham I’ve grown to love.

Blimey Joe you took that bad, we're missing half the first eleven, take five starters out of any side and they will struggle .... hard not to play defensive football when you only have are two fit strikers

I am not stupid or confident enough to say we will win this tie or going to worry too much about the reasons for such a tepid first 30 mins but....

There is no doubt the tie is finely balanced but I think Saturday (must prevail) will be key to the return and think there are 2 critical seiections that Pochettino must make ahead of next Wednesday.

One is Foyth over a completely out of form Trippier and the other is whether we play Son (if fit) on his own up top, play 2 DMs snd have Alli, Eriksen and Moura either side or go with a slightly more aggressive approach.

I probably favour a conservative starting 11.

CCC.

Contain, Control, Conquer.

Blimey Joe you took that bad, we're missing half the first eleven, take five starters out of any side and they will struggle .... hard not to play defensive football when you only have are two fit strikers
I know - I do try to keep up. But our football wasn’t so scintillating before we had the the injuries. If my observations are unfair I’ll happily rescind my comments.

Brilliant post.. could not agree more. I honestly believe that this will be as food as it ever gets with these clowns in charge. Levy will just release some bullshit statement after the season about how brilliant it's been in our European adventure then give poch barely enough to but 1 decent player which he will have to use to buy 2 or 3 bang average ones..

Gullit and Dessaily on Bein say they have never seen an average, technically inferior midfield incapable of stringing few passes together at this level than Tottenhams.

Gullit giggles and continue to mention how can a PL club with so much resources ends up fielding a player of Wanyama's calibre at this stage of this competition?

Both believe this game is done and dusted.
They clearly didn't see the Chelsea side that won it by packing the back line and lumping it to drogba

Remind me who they both played for again?

It’s amazing that when someone who is normally as positive as fuck about Tottenham posts the slightest little concern, everyone piles in. I don’t see these posters slaughtering the hood and mindblown and all the little cunts who habitually run down Spurs, but I’m fair game? Well fuck you.

Back
Top Bottom