Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A little of topic here but just to put the cost of players into perspective here.
28 years ago to the day Alan Sugar bought control of the club for just over 7m quid....

It's also worth noting that based on inflation with money compared to that seen in football that at the time of signing him, it cost Watford the same inflated value as it cost Napoli to sign Diego Maradona 😮

Napoli paid 1.3 billion pesetas (£6m) for Maradona in 1984. In today's prices Maradona would be worth £18m, if you consider inflation has tripled prices in the UK since 1984. That's the same £18m price Watford paid Burnley for Andre Gray. This was posted in 2017 and since then we've seen inflation in football finances balloon even further.

If other markets grew as quickly as football inflation has a loaf of bread would cost £26 and a pint of milk a bullseye according to this report! Leicester City were valued at £12.5m in 1998 (£21m for 2017 prices) which is less than they paid for Iheanacho who cost £25m and had only 12 career starts to his name.

Maradona, Andre Grey or even Dominic Solanke anyone? Inflation in football has gone insane compared to other markets inflation prices. Gravy train times for the select few that run their teams well indeed. Others soon to be crying into their caviar.

Last edited:
I've followed this account for roughly 6 months or so. He seems to be a relatively decent one for lower league info, hence me posting this:

...Clarke thing SHOULD happen...

tenor0e6d45de60e32e45.gif

Moura is a playa, is still pre-peak and will get better with more game time.

Gimme a front 3 of Son / Kane / Lucas!!!!

We NEED a Moura song in time for the new season... (Not a chant... A proper song that references Ajax if poss.)

Last edited:

Juventos currently have Ronaldo on their books who will cost a fortune in wages - and are linked to Rabiot ( on a free but big wages), have signed Ramsey ( on a free but big wages) are linked with De ligt ( will not be cheap) and still have about 6 midfield players from last sesson......

And Juve may be biggest club in Italy but are no longer bigger than most other European clubs

I wonder if this information is coming from Aulas - he seems to have tried and failed to get PSG involved and tried to whip up interest in a number of other top European sides. Maybe desperation to try to force a higher bid from DL ?

If he needs to file accounts at 30 June to get Lyon past FFP , next week could be decision time....even if announced in early July...

Anyone think we can get away with this next season?

Son / Kane / Lucas
- - - - - Dele - - - - - -
NDombele / Winks
LB / CB / CB / RB
- - - - - Hugo - - - - -

Son / Kane / Lucas
NDombele / Winks
LB / CB / CB / RB
- - - - - Hugo - - - - -

We could do but I feel without a genuine string puller that we'll struggle to break teams down. I'm pretty sure that Ndombele and Winks would be the CM we'll be seeing and when I look at a potential layout of our first XI, I think it's even more obvious to me that Lo Celso only comes in if Eriksen fucks off.

Genuine width in full back areas would be lovely to see as well. With Clarke and Sessegnon more attacking than defensive could we also utilise them in the less favoured and desirable 3-5-2 I wonder? :gallashmm:

Not really... In a money dominated game, we need to be able to generate more if we're gonna be able to sustain a squad of this current quality (or even better) and make the regular title challenges everyone wants.
It's winning the race for the most ridiculous post of the summer so far.

Son / Kane / Lucas
NDombele / Winks
LB / CB / CB / RB
- - - - - Hugo - - - - -
Perhaps against certain opposition. I would have major concerns about an Ndombele - Winks midfield though. They should both be competing for the same starting midfield position, not playing together IMO.

We could do but I feel without a genuine string puller that we'll struggle to break teams down. I'm pretty sure that Ndombele and Winks would be the CM we'll be seeing and when I look at a potential layout of our first XI, I think it's even more obvious to me that Lo Celso only comes in if Eriksen fucks off.

Genuine width in full back areas would be lovely to see as well. With Clarke and Sessegnon more attacking than defensive could we also utilise them in the less favoured and desirable 3-5-2 I wonder? :gallashmm:

Imo Spurs transfer strategy this season could be :
1 Replace any key players leaving or have left ( eg Ndombele replacing Dembele)
2. If practicable bring in one or two additional genuine first team squad players (that could be Lo Celso to provide extra player both at AM and CM including genuine Eriksen back up for first time - if Eriksen stays)
3. Bring in one or two too youngsters for the future (Sessegnon Clarke )
4. Upgrades to certain players

In previous TWs no 4 would be in no 2 position and no 2 (additional players) would not be a consideration - this season the stadium benefits start to kick in for the first time.

GLC - Yeh, I can't see us blowing another £60m+ for the lad to get splinters.... Even with no significant outs, just signing ND and an alt. AM for the bench we're still looking at £100m (net).

(Nnnnnghhh... Every time I think TRFs i'm all but instantly left thinking "sort ya shit out Eriksen!!!!". Frustrating ain't the word.... )

Perhaps against certain opposition. I would have major concerns about an Ndombele - Winks midfield though. They should both be competing for the same starting midfield position, not playing together IMO.

I get where ya coming from in terms of 'robustness', but for me it would depend how ND acclimatised to the EPL.... Winks was typically our deepest CM (when fit) last season.... Not really clear if Poch ditched the classic DM role by choice or necessity.

Lennon was bought as being a bright young prospect with a fantastic turn of pace.

Routledge was bought as being a player to slot straight into the first team, best player at Crystal Palace at the time. But after the first couple of games and injury not sure he played for Spurs again. Made a decent career for himself playing for Swansea in PL for example but never lived up to his expected promise.

Lennon as you say took to PL like a duck to water, his fantastic speed catching out a lot of teams.

Clarke is physically pretty mature, hope he lives up to expectation, be delighted if he did get double digit goals/assists in his first season but to me that's a pretty heavy expectation for Clarke. Not sure Poch wil be scheduling more games for Clarke than Skipp last season but let's see !

He didn't play that much for Leeds last season. 814 minutes all season. Has stamina issues apparently

Back
Top Bottom