Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I get where ya coming from in terms of 'robustness', but for me it would depend how ND acclimatised to the EPL.... Winks was typically our deepest CM (when fit) last season.... Not really clear if Poch ditched the classic DM role by choice or necessity.

Good point. Winks became a less progressive type midfielder due to the teams limited resources in DM. Has that been merely a temporary fix and one that perhaps led to more wins yet more losses or has this somewhat cpforced change seen a shift in how Pochettino sees his midfield long term?

We all assume Winks is his preferred choice now and I do think he's is but he didn't exactly have the likes of Wanyama or Dier breathing down his neck and the boy Winksy is prone to an injury and spell on the sidelines.

If Sissoko or Winks get injured we genuinely have no like for like shoehorned replacement for either. That makes the likes of Lo Celso and Ndombele even more appealing a move for us as it wouldn't cause a different shape to our play with both able to do similar things but onna better scale than our CM last campaign.

Son / Kane / Lucas
- - - - - Winks- - - - - -
NDombele / Sissoko
LB / CB / CB / RB
- - - - - Hugo - - - - -

Prefer this

My motive is that I want 4 goal scorers on the pitch.... I'm not going as far as saying BUILD around Dele, but I'd like to think we can unlock the player from 2 years ago.... Getting him in behind Kane again has gotta be worth a punt.

With Kane's creativity/hold up (with HMS, LM & DA running beyond him) and both ND & HW both deemed capable of picking a pass... I'd hope we can share the creative burden, rather than be reliant upon 1 man (be that Eriksen or a new guy).... Dips in form are inevitable; we looked blunt too often last season; too easy to defend against....

Last edited:
I get where ya coming from in terms of 'robustness', but for me it would depend how ND acclimatised to the EPL.... Winks was typically our deepest CM (when fit) last season.... Not really clear if Poch ditched the classic DM role by choice or necessity.
I would say necessity for sure. Vic is crocked and Dier was perpetually injured/sick. I think that whilst he did an admirable job there, Winks isn't defensively strong enough to play the deep lying destroyer in Poch's system.
Ndombélé COULD play it for sure, he has the attributes, but from what I've seen of him it would be a tremendous waste of talent putting him there. He's too good higher up the pitch to be shouldered with too much defensive responsibility.

Imo Spurs transfer strategy this season could be :
1 Replace any key players leaving or have left ( eg Ndombele replacing Dembele)
2. If practicable bring in one or two additional genuine first team squad players (that could be Lo Celso to provide extra player both at AM and CM including genuine Eriksen back up for first time - if Eriksen stays)
3. Bring in one or two too youngsters for the future (Sessegnon Clarke )
4. Upgrades to certain players

In previous TWs no 4 would be in no 2 position and no 2 (additional players) would not be a consideration - this season the stadium benefits start to kick in for the first time.

344ao7.jpg

TS currently doing a bit of an autopsy on United... Already talking about replacements for OGS before a ball has been kicked...

LOL

Last edited:
I would say necessity for sure. Vic is crocked and Dier was perpetually injured/sick. I think that whilst he did an admirable job there, Winks isn't defensively strong enough to play the deep lying destroyer in Poch's system.
Ndombélé COULD play it for sure, he has the attributes, but from what I've seen of him it would be a tremendous waste of talent putting him there. He's too good higher up the pitch to be shouldered with too much defensive responsibility.

Poch may feel the burden can be shared between 2 CMs rather than a fixed CM/DM dynamic. Just speculating, mind....

As for ND, I'm kinda expecting a more ballin' version of Sissoko or by a similar token a more physically imposing Winks....

Would people prefer Sessegnon or Tierney who it looks like Woolwich might get?
Just no comparison - Teirney plays in a mickey mouse league (sorry but it's true) and always seemed under pressure in Celtic's UEL games ... Sessegnon looked pretty decent playing in an EPL side that was all over the place most weeks, and he's three years younger ....

Woolwich can have Tierney he's a big gamble .... Sessegnon worst case we could sell him on at a decent profit in a couple of years time ... but I reckon he could end up being the Real deal (pun intended)

Rehash the concept for the Rafa song but use the tune from Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode

VDV was a spin on 'Baby, give it up'...

Lu-cas M-OOUR-A... Luuuu-cas M-OOUR-A-A...

...Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

D.Mode was the old Holtby soong.....

Which would fit better.

Feels a shame to me... Players like Berti getting wicked songs, yet these days players are lucky to get a mere chant.... I'm not that guy, but bring back the lyrics!!!

VDV was a spin on 'Baby, give it up'...

Lu-cas M-OOUR-A... Luuuu-cas M-OOUR-A-A...

...Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

D.Mode was the old Holtby soong.....

Which would fit better.

Feels a shame to me... Players like Berti getting wicked songs, yet these days players are lucky to get a mere chant.... I'm not that guy, but bring back the lyrics!!!
That's what I said.

Do the Rafa thing but use the melody from depeche mode.

The Holtby song has been bleached from my memory.

Moura is a playa, is still pre-peak and will get better with more game time.

Gimme a front 3 of Son / Kane / Lucas!!!!

We NEED a Moura song in time for the new season... (Not a chant... A proper song that references Ajax if poss.)

I don’t rate Moura as highly as you, but if we couldn’t add someone like Pepe or Fekir (or Sessegnon eventually) this would be my first choice front three in a 433, but what scares me most is that Poch seems to see Moura as a CF and seems he’ll bent on playing him in a front 2.

That Asensio is a good player. Seen him a few times. I would be happy if we got him. It would be part of the deal that takes Eriksen to Real. Not bothered about that anymore. He is going so lets get it over and done with.

Back
Top Bottom