Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very good post.

I think you’ve not articulated all our midfield issues, and there’s plenty in this post that could be expanded on, but this does hit one of the fundamental tactical nails squarely on the head.

Another would be that, along with being crap at transitioning onwards to forward areas with Sissoko in our midfield, we also struggle to play out, even more than we did with Dier, who also didn’t like the ball under pressure. And dropping Eriksen and Alli back into 8 type roles (as we did at times) isn't the best solution for this either, as neither of them are great at receiving the ball under pressure either.

And despite the illusion his unit like frame gave when trundling into his 1.2 tackles a game, Sissoko really isn’t good defensively, because he’s not an intelligent reader of the game and he’s not defensively dynamic like Wanyama (was) for example.

All in all, Ndombele will be a good addition, but still won't solve all our midfield problems. IMO we need a 6 and two proper 8's or 6/8 hybrids. Ndombele ticks one 6/8 hybrid box.

Think you are going to be disappointed this TW then.

I can see Ndombele and a 2nd CM/AM arrive but no more.

Assuming Wanyama is done, and exits, that leaves us with the 2 new guys, Winks, Sissoko, Dier plus youngsters Amos and Skipp.

That should be more than enough, and leave us well placed against most sides - I doubt if Winks or Dier will have the length of time out with injuries as last season, and with more fit bodies, rotation should not lead to fatigued players which of course is when players tend to injure themselves.

It would seem we are now at the stage where we are considering holding a board meeting to discuss the possibility of putting together a plan to potentially register our interest and 12 months down the line prepare a bid

Pretty sure we've been monitoring him, remember his name being mentioned in previous windows, because I'd actually seen him play live and was quite impressed with him.

Was more impressed with Oryazabal that night, who we've also been linked with before, but Ceballos looked a good player alright.

I remember the pre-internet days where it was the first day of the new season that i found out about new players. Good times.

Some of the hyper posters on this tread would have been shouting down the phone at a premium rated phone number dedicated to Spurs news 'No I don't want him - I want Messi and I want him now , DO YOU HEAR ME !' (stamped foot noise)

Yep. And we could have done with him last season when we didn't replace Dembele and at times struggled to put out a coherent midfield that:

a) didn't involve playing people out of position
b) bringing back players too soon from injury
c) playing those that had clearly lost form.

£30-35m would have been a steal in this market.
Barkley is another on the list of Schneiderlin, Berahino, Kovacic, etc who we were linked with but didn’t get. Players who failed to hit the heights at the club they ended up with. The argument being “they were shite for them, so they’d have been shite for us”.

Utter nonsense. So many variables have to be taken into account that there’s no way that argument works. Barkley may well have played a pivotal role for us last season. He may not have. But to argue that he didn’t play well for Chelsea so would’ve been the same for us is crap.

Yep. And we could have done with him last season when we didn't replace Dembele and at times struggled to put out a coherent midfield that:

a) didn't involve playing people out of position
b) bringing back players too soon from injury
c) playing those that had clearly lost form.

£30-35m would have been a steal in this market.
It wasn’t a steal 2 -3 years ago when people wanted him though and Dembele was at his peak

Quick question....do you wish we had signed him?

January 2018, 13 defeats.

Did I think our manager might have had targets to capture quickly after that long????

YES.

Players don't come out of a vending machine you know.... Selling clubs and players other commitments do play a part too....

:roll:

#YouKnowThis

It wasn’t a steal 2 -3 years ago when people wanted him though and Dembele was at his peak

Quick question....do you wish we had signed him?
I know you weren’t directing this at me, but I do wish we had signed Barkley. I think he’s got a huge amount of raw talent but needs to work harder and he would have got that ethic here. I believe he’d then have all it takes to be a major player.

I know you weren’t directing this at me, but I do wish we had signed Barkley. I think he’s got a huge amount of raw talent but needs to work harder and he would have got that ethic here. I believe he’d then have all it takes to be a major player.
His ship has sailed in my view.....never was and never will be

Barkley is another on the list of Schneiderlin, Berahino, Kovacic, etc who we were linked with but didn’t get. Players who failed to hit the heights at the club they ended up with. The argument being “they were shite for them, so they’d have been shite for us”.

Utter nonsense. So many variables have to be taken into account that there’s no way that argument works. Barkley may well have played a pivotal role for us last season. He may not have. But to argue that he didn’t play well for Chelsea so would’ve been the same for us is crap.

Good point about Schneiderlin, I forgot about that pursuit.

During Pochettino's time with us we have apparently been after players like Schneiderlin, Berahino, Kovacic, Keita Balde, Jay Rodriguez, Luke Shaw, Danny Ings, Yannick Bolasie, Grealish, Pape Cheikh. Add those those the likes of Aurier, Nkoudou, N'Jie, Janssen and it's borderline with Sanchez purely for the outlay and how flustered he gets around top opposition occasionally and there's around £350m-£400m worth of players that would and could have massively underwhelmed.

Levy is as tight as arseholes but when looking at that list people can hardly blame him for not wanting to spend over the odds on some of our apparent targets it has to be said.

People need to calm down about not having signed anyone yet, traditionally we don’t sign early (unfortunately) and I can’t honestly remember that last early signing we made.

I’m gonna “guess” our transfer policy has changed somewhat since we sealed top 4 and beat Ajax in the semis, those two things alone have made a substantial difference to our spending pot....

The top 4 gives Levy stability going forward (and let’s be honest that got too close for comfort) and the CL victory over Ajax alone gave us a 20+m shot in the arm, and that is CL prize money Levy certainly isn’t banking on to pay for the day to day running of the club (according to reports our CL run is estimated anywhere between 65m & 85m) and that’s money you don’t depend on to pay your mortgage as VAR could have taken most of that away in seconds (well 3 to 4 mins to be precise) and Levy certainly doesn’t run things on if’s & but’s.....

Add to that two of our best players, CE & TA are at a crossroads of uncertainty, and both will undoubtedly make a massive difference to who we sign and why.

Let’s be honest, we have the money but we have to get it right on the bullseye here, any lucrative signing that we make must be able to walk straight into the starting 11, but there is no point going all world class on one position if one or two of the above mentioned walks off and leaves a glaring gap elsewhere in the team, it’s all about the balance, we don’t want to spend north of 100m and not actually improve, talk about pressure on Pochettino then!!

I think Eriksen is the deal we need done first, one way or the other, he is the guy who will dictate what happens after that.
If he stays then we will strengthen the team behind him, and maybe Toby moves on, if he leaves then we build for life after him, and Toby might find himself on a lucrative new contract to keep some stability and avoid too many changes to key players at once, Toby has sort of hinted at this by stating several times he expects to be here next season, we know he wants that one last massive contract.

On a side note, Chelsea letting Hazard go so easily makes me think their is a twist still to happen there, they knew Real getting their man all but ended Eriksens chances and that adds extra complications for us, and they have to feel confident of turning this ban around some way or another.

His ship has sailed in my view.....never was and never will be
His trajectory very much depends on his next manager id suggest.

If they take in Lampard, I’d laugh my arse off as I don’t think he’s all that. But one thing he could do is improve Barkley. I suppose we just have to wait and see. I honestly didn’t see him getting near the England squad after his start at Chelsea and he got back in.

Back
Top Bottom