Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EBoZmAuXYAArpDS

Winks poor??? What????????
Yes - he was. ineffective. Had loads of opportunities to run at Villa, but seemed to be scared to, so passed sideways instead. I'd go so far as to say he was a waste of space, hence Poch replacing him with Eriksen, thank goodness. The game changed from that moment on.
Sissoko, on the other hand, tried to make an impact every time he got the ball.

Yes - he was. ineffective. Had loads of opportunities to run at Villa, but seemed to be scared to, so passed sideways instead. I'd go so far as to say he was a waste of space, hence Poch replacing him with Eriksen, thank goodness. The game changed from that moment on.
I also think he was taken off as a precaution after his goal- saving challenge on the half way line.

He was solid today. Hope he has no reaction to the game

All's well that ends well, hate to admit it but the game changed as soon as Eriksen came on. If the reception he got doesn't make him see that Tottenham is the place to be, then he needs his bumps feeling!

No you're wrong.

Winks was very good. Positionally excellent...drove forward...picked nice passes...defensively excellent. Very good performance.

Your pub was probably right until the subs. He was fine after the changes. I mean , can you even imagine Winks taking the ball from the air, running past two players and making an assist like Sissoko did? Unlikely.
I can imagine most players running into open ground and passing to a free man when the other team is desperately pushing forward.

Some...interesting tattoos here...

That stadium was LOUD today. In fact, I'd say it was joyous, ecstatic - and totally amazing. 2 hours later and I think my ears have just about recovered.
Those Villa fans had a treat! Not only did they have 60 happy minutes, but they also got to visit the best stadium in the land.

I hate that diamond too Totts, but it's hard to tell which out of the formation change, Eriksen's introduction and just the constant pressure told more.

I hate that diamond because Moura is not a CF for a start, he's got no composure and a pea brain, and just runs into legs the whole time, it makes us very narrow and easy to defend against, and one of the 8's has invariably Sissoko for the last year, who's fucking gash.

But if we switch to a 4231, it's going to mean Ndombele dropping back and having to do a lot more double pivot donkey work and less getting forward and doing purer 8 type stuff. Not the end of the world, he can do it, but I just do not understand why Poch will never entertain a 433.

Ndombele-------Winks--------Lo Celso

Moura/Son/Lamela--------Kane--------Son/Sess/Moura​
Ndombele-Winks-Lo Celso
Moura-Kane-Son

I think that’s our best front 6 post-Eriksen if everyone is healthy on firing on all cylinders. Lamela/Dele as rotation and options off the bench.

Winks 34 forward passes, 33 passes in their third, 2 chances created

Sissoko 14 forward passes, 22 attacking third, 1 chance created (90th minute)

Winks was on the pitch 30 minutes less than Sissoko and played entirely as the deepest midfielder when he was. Sissoko played about 20 minutes as a CM, 20 minutes as an Attacking right midfielder the rest as the L8, the last

You are talking utter bollocks.

Billy, I love how this has turned out. Fucken years ago, I broke the McGinn rumour. Everyone, I mean everycunt, served me up massive fuck off biscuits. Fast forward three or four years and McGinn is putting Rosey on his arse and tucking it away at the New White Hart Lane.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we fucken bummed them in the last twenty minutes. Thank fuck. But fuck me it was amusing to see you lot sit up and take notice of Meatball McGinn. Better than Zidane. He'd be a great player for us. He'd improve our first eleven
I'm o for the scots making a mark in englandshire but McGinn in nothing more than a average honest pro doing the best he can he was stand out at Hibs cos they're dog shit! He disappeared in games for them anaw what got him through was he kept going technique and skill is lacking but.......with the right management/coaching what skills he does have could be improved and used better at a better club.

KWP - outstanding game - amazing skills
NDombele - the goal was his saving grace - did not impress until then.
Sissoko - very good all round performance
Lamela - nothing like as influential as in pre-season games
Davinson Sanchez - excellent interceptions when needed
Toby - solid
Danny Rose - good performance
Winks - ineffective, poor game
Kane - was just Harry!
Lloris - didn't have much to do
Lucas - one of his more anonymous games
So Winks, who was our best player in the first hour along with KWP, was ineffective, while Sissoko, who was dogshit until he went into defensive midfield, had a "very good all round performance"?

Wow.

I'll wake up in a cold sweat in the days to come remembering that shot from six yards out that went for a throw in

Back
Top Bottom