Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Sanchez will start because otherwise Aubaymeyang and that Pepe will crucify Vertonghen and Toby with their pace. I wouldn't be surprised if we lined up with 3cbs at all. The only saving grace is that they're defence is abysmal, so I'd go with Son up top with Moura and Eriksen behind (or maybe Dele in place of Eriksen if fit). Don't need Winks AND Sissoko passing it sideways, so take a risk and have Lo Celso in that deep-lying playmaker role. If Dier starts we will lose.

Llloris
Sanchez Toby Vertonghen
Aurier Davies
Sissoko Lo Celso
Moura Eriksen
Son
THERE IS NO WAY KANE IS SITTING THIS OUT.

Ok Poch, I know you get on here for game advice. I'm going to the beach this weekend and if we don't win this game my whole trip will be ruined, so pay close attention, especially to the midfield.

Hugo
Toby-Sanchez-Jan
Dier-Winks-Dele-Ndombele-Rose
Kane-Son

Will be heading over, haven't missed a Gooner away game for quite a few years now.

Whoever is going, have a few drinks beforehand, and get the noise going.

Although, our away atmosphere at this game does leave a lot to be desired.

Please for the love of Christ if Ndombele is healthy there is no reason for Sissoko to start let's have people in the midfield that can move the ball.

Crazy when you think Winks made 74 forward passes against Newcastle.

Are we sure that this isn't just a result of them (wherever the stat came from) counting a pass as either forward or backward as opposed to sideways? Which I'm pretty sure that the majority of his passes would actually have been.

or backward as opposed to sideways? Which I'm pretty sure that the majority of his passes would actually have been.

He made 74 of his 134 passes forward, 21 backwards and 39 sideways with 94% pass completion. Sissoko made 34 forward, 26 sideways and 36 backwards for example yet he doesn't seem to get the whole "sideways passer, safe passer" bollocks thrown at him. Odd.

He made 74 of his 134 passes forward, 21 backwards and 39 sideways with 94% pass completion. Sissoko made 34 forward, 26 sideways and 36 backwards for example yet he doesn't seem to get the whole "sideways passer, safe passer" bollocks thrown at him. Odd.
I wonder what "they" consider forwards and sideways.

A pass that goes forward and a pass that goes sideways, I imagine.

Dunno if that's sarcastic or not. Assume it is. I'll be more specific. At what angle would they consider a ball to have been passed sideways? Only exactly 90°, 89-91°, 80-100°?

Dunno if that's sarcastic or not. Assume it is. I'll be more specific. At what angle would they consider a ball to have been passed sideways? Only exactly 90°, 89-91°, 80-100°?

I believe I read somewhere that it's a pass at about 40 degrees. But as long as the player is facing the opposition goal then that's classified as a forward pass.

bus-conductor bus-conductor would probably know more.

I believe I read somewhere that it's a pass at about 40 degrees. But as long as the player is facing the opposition goal then that's classified as a forward pass.

bus-conductor bus-conductor would probably know more.
As I thought then. I suspect the majority of fans would consider the majority of his passes as sideways or backwards. At odds with the way that stat was compiled.

This is the issue with stats though isn't it. He might have made 74 forward passes but if none of them were meaningful or literally a tiny bit forward then it's irrelevant. Watching us for the last few months has almost felt like the players are trying to play it safe so their stats looks better. I'd rather have a 10% pass completion rate out of 100 passes if it meant we got 10 goal-scoring chances.

Think we will see Sissoko at RB with the way they play Auba out wide. He will have the pace and strength to match.

So that means Poch will most likely play Dier in midfield, which is just sad when we could roll out a midfield three of Winks, Dele, Lol Celso.

Back
Top Bottom