Growth in MLS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was looking at he MLS highlights and got wondering...Its only a matter of time before the MLS is a better destination than Italy or France. The attendences are already very similar.

The only thing holding back the MLS at the moment is the salary cap. Apart from PSG, Lyon, Monaco and Marseille, the french league is not particularly strong. The same can be said for Italy outside the big 7.

If the US took away the salary cap and brought in better players, im sure sponsorship and TV revenue would grow.

Atlanta and Seattle are already bringing in crowds of 45-50k a game.

I wouldn't rule out France. They are getting a big TV deal by the start of next season and a lot of new money being funneled into it. And plenty of clubs have new owners that are prepping for a power up so to speak. Rattcliffe just purchased Nice as an example and he is one of if not the wealthiest man in the UK.

MLS is going to keep growing but I think that it will be at a rather slow pace still. The current crop of US talents out in Europe coming good can probably speed up the national interest in the sport a bit tho.

I wouldn't rule out France. They are getting a big TV deal by the start of next season and a lot of new money being funneled into it. And plenty of clubs have new owners that are prepping for a power up so to speak. Rattcliffe just purchased Nice as an example and he is one of if not the wealthiest man in the UK.

MLS is going to keep growing but I think that it will be at a rather slow pace still. The current crop of US talents out in Europe coming good can probably speed up the national interest in the sport a bit tho.

Good point. France is a rich country and PSG effect may increase the tv deal.

I read something about them getting the third largest TV deal in Europe behind the prem and I think La Liga.

The key factor will be how the money is distributed of course. If PSG gets the lion's share that will be a problem for the smaller teams but most of the bigger teams have got new investors or owners in that are ready for a push it seems.

its not the PSG effect (on its own) that's already had its impact with an above market rate TV deal its the other rich owners entering the league. Its probably a good place to invest - comparatively cheap and a lot of upside, undervalued presently.

"The French Professional Football League (LFP) awarded the Ligue 1 TV rights for the '20-24 period to Mediapro and beIN Sports, which will replace Canal+, according to Dimitri Ranchou of MEDIA SPORTIF. Starting in '20, Ligue 1 rights will be worth €1.15B ($1.33B) per season, compared to €726.5M ($837.7M) now. This is a 60% increase from the current contract,"

current distribution -

The US need to sort out the youth system first, its still pay to play attracting mainly middle class - they don't have a closed system so I cant see College "soccer" as an alternate. They need to tap into the poorer immigrant community to improve US talent and then the league.

I read something about them getting the third largest TV deal in Europe behind the prem and I think La Liga.

The key factor will be how the money is distributed of course. If PSG gets the lion's share that will be a problem for the smaller teams but most of the bigger teams have got new investors or owners in that are ready for a push it seems.

I just checked. Its a good deal. £1bn a year. The prem is £1.5bn a year. But the clincher is that its only domestic rights. I assume they dont get much for overseas rights.

The prem on other hand gets more for overseas than domestic. I think roughly £3bn in total. So England is still some way ahead. But not as much as it was.

I just checked. Its a good deal. £1bn a year. The prem is £1.5bn a year. But the clincher is that its only domestic rights. I assume they dont get much for overseas rights.

The prem on other hand gets more for overseas than domestic. I think roughly £3bn in total. So England is still some way ahead. But not as much as it was.
And the question is how much higher the rights for the English league can go?

€70M and then a profit share international (until 2024)

until football becomes a bigger sport and a bigger attraction than Baseball\'Egghand'\Basketball\Hockey (in some places) the MLS will never produce enough quality players.

European Leagues will also continue to enjoy the prestige of the continental trophies like the CL.

But I do see the PL and CL starting to hold some matches in the US within 5-10 years

Still a few generations to go for me but I think it will get there. Reality is that your average American still doesn't give a fuck about soccer. In Italy and France it's the national sport. And whilst MLS clubs won't ever get into the Champions League it isn't seriously going to attract or retain the best players.

until football becomes a bigger sport and a bigger attraction than Baseball\'Egghand'\Basketball\Hockey (in some places) the MLS will never produce enough quality players.

European Leagues will also continue to enjoy the prestige of the continental trophies like the CL.

But I do see the PL and CL starting to hold some matches in the US within 5-10 years
The issue has always been that youth development was always terrible. We always lost great athletes to different sports because the teams would typically fall apart after U10 or so. Now with the academy system in place talents are being found and then moved to MLS partner clubs. Its going to take several more years but its on the rise. Here's an example using my own kid:

Old System: He starts in a recreational league and is killing it. Scores a lot of goals and unfortunately is being coached by his idiot father who googles 'how to run a soccer practice'. The team is good, but there is no real skill development. By U12 most of the team is playing basketball and baseball and the team falls apart.

New System: See the first two sentences - then the idiot father says "Hmm he's good but how good? Then we tryout for our local youth club team who has coaches that played on some youth national teams and also collegiately. They develop skills I didn't know existed. Now he's better at 10 then would have ever been in the old system. If he continuers to get better he will be scouted by a regional club, which will get MLS academy eyeballs on him.

Last edited:
In a similar way to how the traditional European prestige clubs will always hold their attraction even if the clubs themselves are performing poorly in competitions, the traditional prestige leagues will forever be a bigger draw. The MLS can't hope to compete with that, but I don't think it is trying to anyway. It can still be successful, but becoming more popular than even Ligue Un (which is pretty shit to watch in the main) is just not happening. It's like how the Chinese league is having barely any impact globally despite its money.

In a similar way to how the traditional European prestige clubs will always hold their attraction even if the clubs themselves are performing poorly in competitions, the traditional prestige leagues will forever be a bigger draw. The MLS can't hope to compete with that, but I don't think it is trying to anyway. It can still be successful, but becoming more popular than even Ligue Un (which is pretty shit to watch in the main) is just not happening. It's like how the Chinese league is having barely any impact globally despite its money.
Yeah, but it can still carve out a good niche for itself and become a regional powerhouse in American footie. And the bigger prestige leagues are always going to need "talent factories" to buy promising talents from. That might be the MLS' ceiling but that's not a bad thing at all since that is the same for the Dutch, Portugese, Belgian and other smaller European leagues.

Back
Top Bottom