What was the first game you went to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Crystal Palace in the early 80's...we lost..in fact I have never seen us beat CP ever...fucking ever, I even went to the FA cup game at the lane 3 years ago and we sodding lost again..I now avoid CP like the plague..
Palace fixtures remind me of the end for Jimmy Greaves in 1970, dropped after cup defeat and then sold to West Ham.

19 April 1968: Spurs 1 v 0 West Ham (Greaves), attendance 50,970.

I was in the NW corner of the Paxton Upper with my dad and some of his (mostly Spammer) mates from work. I can still remember the goal and the bus journey there and back. I can't remember much else of anything that's happened in the last 50 years though.
Was 1969. No thought that a year later Jimmy Greaves would be playing for West Ham.

Remember the clocks had changed, switched on tv to check got time right before setting off, saw on ticker tape that Ramos out, Harry in, heard more about Spurs plans on the radio driving up than had heard in the whole of the Ramos era, very happy day.
The Ramos era still makes me shudder 😮

I live in Northern Ireland, so I only get to 2-3 games a season, but for a first ever game I got a corker, totally unforgettable night / weekend in London. Good times 👍

1979/80. FA CUP quarter final

Me and my younger cousin turned up aged just 12 and 13 years of age we were - never been to the lane before only watched on the tv .. a very kindly WPC asked us if we had tickets- we didn’t and she handed us two - clearly not all coppers are nasty some are nice.

Unfortunately we had tickets that stood us at the very front of the Park lane stand and to this day I’m still trying to spot our little mugs among those scousers when McDermott scores.

April 15th 1963 was when I lost my heart to this club (8 years old). Spurs vs Liverpool and guess the score....another 7-2 but in our favour this time :thumbup: . Jimmy Greaves scored four that day and became my idol. A few legends on the pitch then, Greaves,Mackay, White, Hunt and Yeats. Three Welshmen on the pitch too, Mel Hopkins and Cliff Jones for us and Allan Jones for the scousers.
A magical moment with the whole world (well so it seemed to me) a sea of Spurs supporters singing and cheering. Two of the greatest managers head to head, Nicholson and Shankly. Happy Days.....

I got locked out at that game. You bastard.

Been said before but mine was Boxing Day 1962. In the snow, lines cleared on the pitch and an orange ball.
Beat Ipswich 5-0 , I thought it would be like this every week, too late though, the needle was already in the vein.
Game after me, West Ham 4-4 on 22/12.
Big freeze followed, Spurs went out of the cup to Burnley 0-3 after winning it in 61 and 62, but ended up winning the ECWC 5-1 v. Atletico.

Been said before but mine was Boxing Day 1962. In the snow, lines cleared on the pitch and an orange ball.
Beat Ipswich 5-0 , I thought it would be like this every week, too late though, the needle was already in the vein.
Apparently they stopped having the orange balls during the winter when The Woolwich complained their team were trying to eat them at half time. (Interesting bit of trivia for you there :thumbup:).

1989/90 vs City at home. 1-1. Will never forget the walk up to WHL and the noise of the crowd, the sight of full, compact terraces. Instant intoxication with Spurs and my Dad took me to pretty much every home game afterwards.

Sorry but for all its epic construction, NWHL does not come close to the old girl.

First away match was QPR same season.

Spurs v wolves semi final replay

1981 at Highbury
3-0
My cousin took me and we got tickets off a tout outside for the wolves end.
Loved all the wolves fans crying at the end.

COYS
I went that game too. There were, I assume, Woolwich fans throwing stones into the ground. Saw a Spurs fan covered in blood.

I went to the first game at Hillsborough. It was so packed it was unbelievable. Really dangerous. They put Spurs fans in the Wolves end and sat them around the pitch - it was that crowded. Don't know why they carried on playing semis there. I was a kid and thought it was really dangerous. Why didn't the FA realise this ?

Did anyone else go this game and remember the overcrowding ? No one seems to remember it, but it definitely 100% happened.

Sorry to go a bit off thread.

Tottenham vs DC United friendly. We lost 1-0.

Competitive? Tottenham vs city... 3-0 up at halftime, we lost 4-3 and they had 10 men.

As spursy an introduction you could get.

Back
Top Bottom