Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he has ever grown up and really learnt from his past mistakes, and I don't know if he ever will. Brilliant footballer, one of the most naturally gifted English players ever, but quite an unsavoury character, especially when he is on the booze.

I don't think he has ever grown up and really learnt from his past mistakes, and I don't know if he ever will. Brilliant footballer, one of the most naturally gifted English players ever, but quite an unsavoury character, especially when he is on the booze.
Agree, one day something will happen and it will take more than that Gazza grin to get him out of hot water. It's because people turned a blind eye to his behaviour during his youth that sadly he has now evolved into this pathetic figure. The charismatic and talented footballer died years ago, now we just have this pitiful character staggering from one watering hole to another and behaving atrociously.

I'm well pleased at the verdict. Gazza obviously has mental problems but he's given me more pleasure than any other footballer.
He is a genuine Spurs legend. I will never forgive Hoddle for picking Lee instead of him.

I love Gazza for the memories. His incredible skill and his occasionally genuinely funny moments. I think if I had to be around him for any length of time he’d do my head in.

It’s difficult because he’s clearly troubled. I think his celebrity did a number on him, and retiring has robbed him of the high of playing and being the centre of attention. We can sympathise and occasionally empathise, but that doesn’t mean we have to condone his actions, even if some of those actions are beyond the control of a very ill man.

It’s an addiction, and addictions make people behave like pricks. It doesn’t excuse his behaviour; it simply provides further context.

I really hope he gets better, I still consider him a legend, I hate some of the things he’s done, and I suspect he’s a bit of a dick. None of that is contradictory.

The guy's got deep-seated mental health issues which were always in place, reflected in his long-standing odd behaviours, but it was being robbed of the structure and meaning that a life in football provided him that truly set him on the path to self-destruction, IMHO.

And, naturally, I don't sympathise with what he's done here. Beyond the pale.

I'm well pleased at the verdict. Gazza obviously has mental problems but he's given me more pleasure than any other footballer.
He is a genuine Spurs legend. I will never forgive Hoddle for picking Lee instead of him.

Does being a Spurs legend give him a free pass? Well, no, actually - you're either against sexual assault or you aren't.

Great player/character in a respectful way but the other nonsense he lets himself and many others down! He’s going to be remembered more for being a drunken fool rather than an exceptional footballer which is a shame! But he’s ill alcohol is a drug and if it gets hold it’s brutal and unfortunately it’s gotten hold of him.....but they do say if you want to change and have the will and determination there is away out but he seemingly doesn’t want too.

Of sexual assault. But even the things he admitted were a bit......ehhhh.

Let's just say you wouldn't be comfortable seeing someone do it to your loved ones.

At best he's a complete creep.

He's a lot of things - but he's also very famous (which is mostly a curse) and very vulnerable, this incident stinks of a honeytrap/set up situation to me.

He is innocent. Jury or judge said so.

Entirely missing the point and a perfect encapsulation of the mentality that stops vulnerable people - particularly women - from coming forward.

Not arguing the toss on innocence/guilt - more the point Gazza is a deeply flawed individual and, as one eloquently puts it above, a 'complete creep'.

Entirely missing the point and a perfect encapsulation of the mentality that stops vulnerable people - particularly women - from coming forward.
I didn't miss the point.

Back
Top Bottom