Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shocking.

His "agent" should be strangled though. Who lets a man like that drink anything at all let alone 2 pints when on that kind of medication?

I think his agent said 2 pints to try and make it seem not that bad. Gazza was saying "3 days on the Whiskey" when he was on stage so I think it's a lot more serious than 2 pints

When I hear of his relapses the people I blame the most are those around him who enable him.

He's tried so hard to beat the drink but I fear that it is ultimately going to kill him. It's clear that it's mest him up do bad that he has a significant case of post accute withdrawal syndrome that keeps leading him back to it. I don't think it's helped by the void that exists without football in his life and fans who, unwittingly, offer him a beer thinking they are doing a favour for their idol.

Gazza is easily the most naturally gifted footballer I've seen in my lifetime. I almost wish his time had come when I was a bit older, and could have appreciated it more. The guy was a genius with a football. I really hope he can get the right people and the right support around him to get back.

I feel so much for the bloke, know a couple who could never give up the drink. Such an evil drug for some people.
Aye. I've known some alcoholics too. Hell, if I were honest I probably drink too much myself (not that I have gotten to the "must have a drink" or "drink every day" stage). I can really understand how tempting it is, especially when life is ship. My drinking certainly upped itself when the ex-ball and chain and I went our seperate ways. It's an easy refuge when life is down. Trouble is that when you are depressed it just amplifies it when the initial buzz wears off. I suspect this is the rut that Gazza is in. He is unhappy with life as a single man and without football (hell, he's said as much), and this is made worse during his binges because the alcohol depresses him further. I wouldn't mind also betting he has, by now, done damage to his body, which makes him feel shit even when the depression isn't so bad.

Like I say, I fear that he has reached the point of no return and will turn up dead with the next decade or so. In some respects he's in a worse situation that the likes of George Best were. The fact that he fights so hard and then spirals down again, means that each time he tries to beat it the struggle is even harder. I am worried that one day he'lk just say "screw it" and decide to drink himself out of this world.

At this point, i feel is inevitable, its just incredibly heart wrenching to say.
Yep.

It's a shame he's a celebrity in a way. I'd love to be able to give him some real, proper 0emotional support. But obviously, because of who he is, he's surrounded by people taking advantage of him and is generally shut off from normality.

I was talking to someone on twitter about it earlier and he was saying that the drugs he's on merely control the symptoms of his problem. His way of thinking needs to be changed by someone in the mental health game otherwise the lust for a booze will always be there and the problem will never go away. Hate to say it but I can't see him lasting much longer.

I was talking to someone on twitter about it earlier and he was saying that the drugs he's on merely control the symptoms of his problem. His way of thinking needs to be changed by someone in the mental health game otherwise the lust for a booze will always be there and the problem will never go away. Hate to say it but I can't see him lasting much longer.
He already has had such treatment. Hell, he's been to The Priory which is just down the road from me.

It will be doubly sad when he dies because every headline and person on twitter will say "It's been coming..." but personally I'll be devastated. He's one of the biggest reasons I even ever found out Tottenham Hotspur exists. Some of my earliest memories of English football are the qualifiers and friendlies leading up to USA 1994. I followed Euro 1996 closely as well and Gazza was probably the only England player I found likable.

He's been through so much but it seems his mentality just cannot be changed. He cares so much about how people see him that he's ashamed to be the way he is. Being in the public eye just makes everything 10x worse and you can see in any interview he's pained by some of the things he's done. He'd do well to go live in a secluded villa in a dry country like Saudi Arabia or something. That he has to do these dinner talks for money just to pay medical bills doesn't help either. Incredibly sad.

Back
Top Bottom