Wolves v Tottenham Hotspur (15/12/19) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTD ripping into Dier and Sissoko for the negative passing and lack of options they gave us. Having watched the game again it really was an issue, need Ndombele back ASAP and a ball playing CDM pronto
For all of those who thought Dier had a great game JJ's analysis of his negative, backward play and instinctive 'play safe' approach really highlighted why our build up play was glacial in its speed, consequently our mids/forwards weren't receiving the ball quickly enough and were generally surrounded by 2-3 opposition players. Dier's lack of pace, passing ability, tackling (without giving away a free kick every time) and vision to spot an opportunity to play in a forward and initiate a swift attack is causing us problems every game that's disproportionate to just one squad member performing badly.

its how they justify their paycheck, did he say anything that wasn't true?
Jenas is usually dispassionate and unbaised

I thought he exaggerated the 'lack of trust' between the players. Instead of it being a trust issue, another pundit could have said that Tottenham were trying to slow the game down and keep possession.

Jenas chose not to speak honestly about other aspects of the game by not mentioning them at all!

There's no excuse for not talking about Moura's fantastic goal in particular and also some of the good build-up play that was evident in other attacks.

If this was Liverpool, I'm sure the pundits would have been raving about it, saying 'they didn't play well, but they dug in, held on and got a crucial last minute winner which is the hallmark of a good side'

Just watched MOTD2. Jenus is spot-on about Dier, or maybe even a little kind to him. Lack of fitness can only account temporarily for some of his weaknesses. As I see it, the main problem is his mental sluggishness and lack of vision.

Oh and the pointy arm.

Recommend MOTD2 to you, because it's followed immediately by Citeh's Christmas humiliation, demolition of our friends down the road. A Joy to Behold at This Festive Time of Year. 🎅🎅🎅

I've not seen it, I'll give it a look.

Echoes what I said earlier in the thread and just after the game finished.

No-one in midfield to put a foot on the ball. The midfield treated the ball like it was filled with TNT - just get rid of it. Basics like controlling it and passing to someone in a blue shirt went out the window. Their first response was to turn back towards their own goal and slide it back to Sanchez or Alderweireld. Very rarely was a pass forward contemplated.

Now partly this was due to the Wolves press (they were very good at it) but a Dier/Sissoko midfield axis, with the expectation of Sissoko covering Aurier when he goes forward, invites disaster. As does pitching Vertonghen against someone as fast as Traore but a much better footballer.

And of Dier? Well he's now had another game to get to 'match fitness'. I reckon this excuse will expire soon. Slow of thought and movement. Anyone who thinks he was 'great' yesterday was looking at a different game to me (and Jenas apparently).

Overall Dier could not be given anything other than another 'OK' game. I desperately want him to regain the heights of a couple of years ago., but not much in the last month (when he started to play regularly) has convinced me that he can.

Getting another DM in January will prove very difficult (or very costly) and the hope is that Winks or Skipp or Foyth (not my choice) may fill this position.

Dele and Son anonymous yesterday but 10/10 for Kane for his tireless work.

On to the Fascists and Christmas in the top 4?

its how they justify their paycheck, did he say anything that wasn't true?
Jenas is usually dispassionate and unbaised
Not that what he said wasn’t true, I don’t think he got our game plan. Jose isn’t doing possession for the sake of it.
Wolves fouled tactically all game I counted at least 5 times we started a break from deep only for Moura, Kane or Alli to get mown down. Jeans didn’t mention that.
Although Troare kept us honest, we nullified the others and defended superbly as a unit. Maybe when we have Ndombele Lo Celso and Lamela available with Winks as an option. We could then be more dominant in midfield.

Not that what he said wasn’t true, I don’t think he got our game plan. Jose isn’t doing possession for the sake of it.
Wolves fouled tactically all game I counted at least 5 times we started a break from deep only for Moura, Kane or Alli to get mown down. Jeans didn’t mention that.
Although Troare kept us honest, we nullified the others and defended superbly as a unit. Maybe when we have Ndombele Lo Celso and Lamela available with Winks as an option. We could then be more dominant in midfield.
My biggest concern was the space that we gave to moutinho and the fact that we seem to have to provide a carer for Aurier.
I did think it funny that Eriksen came on and took his first corner in 5 years that made it past the first defender and we scored from it. You could almost hear their defenders thinking "this'll be shite, no worries...........bugger!"

My biggest concern was the space that we gave to moutinho and the fact that we seem to have to provide a carer for Aurier.
I did think it funny that Eriksen came on and took his first corner in 5 years that made it past the first defender and we scored from it. You could almost hear their defenders thinking "this'll be shite, no worries...........bugger!"
I was hiding behind my very expensive sofa for most of the game, but after watching the match for a 3rd time, I get the pastoral care for Aurier he’s had it against both Bournemouth and Burnley but was more pronounced yesterday. Think we allowed them that other wing and rotated the help to Jan.
As for that last corner, maybe it’s something we worked on. Don’t think he went up just for bodies in the box the ball was put in a specific area (though not pin point precise) and Jan was expecting it.
That was only our 2nd corner of the game just maybe that was in the locker but didn’t get an opportunity to exploit it until then.

I was hiding behind my very expensive sofa for most of the game, but after watching the match for a 3rd time, I get the pastoral care for Aurier he’s had it against both Bournemouth and Burnley but was more pronounced yesterday. Think we allowed them that other wing and rotated the help to Jan.
As for that last corner, maybe it’s something we worked on. Don’t think he went up just for bodies in the box the ball was put in a specific area (though not pin point precise) and Jan was expecting it.
That was only our 2nd corner of the game just maybe that was in the locker but didn’t get an opportunity to exploit it until then.

Corner wasn't a masterplan..... Jan could be seen asking JM can he go up as it was so late in the game.

Traore left him wide open which was key to the goal.

Boom.... Last laugh Supa-Jan.

Corner wasn't a masterplan..... Jan could be seen asking JM can he go up as it was so late in the game.

Traore left him wide open which was key to the goal.

Boom.... Last laugh Supa-Jan.
But maybe it was something we did work on. Jose doesn’t do chance. As it was only our 2nd corner and so late in the game maybe plan A at that juncture was to have what we hold looks like we went with plan B

But maybe it was something we did work on. Jose doesn’t do chance. As it was only our 2nd corner and so late in the game maybe plan A at that juncture was to have what we hold looks like we went with plan B

They pushed everyone back.... There was no danger of them breaking against us

It was reactive. (See motd)

They pushed everyone back.... There was no danger of them breaking against us

It was reactive. (See motd)
Watch the whole game there was at least 5 tines 3 in the 2nd half where they pressed high and Moura, Kane or Alli had a run on their defence only to be up ended. The ref was slow to issue yellows to them. The plan there and in effect but unlike Burnley the tactical fouls were deployed

Watch the whole game there was at least 5 tines 3 in the 2nd half where they pressed high and Moura, Kane or Alli had a run on their defence only to be up ended. The ref was slow to issue yellows to them. The plan there and in effect but unlike Burnley the tactical fouls were deployed

Sorry, I don't see your point mate.

I didn't quite expect the MOTD team to be against our players so much.

They only pointed out the reason why we kept giving the ball away, and why we as a team leak so many goals. The average fan has been notching about the defence for months but their protection is non existent. I've thought for a year Winks is bad for passing back to the CB's far too often, but I guess his passes are at least quick and straight to them. Still unacceptable levels of safety first negative nonsense.

Hes only 23 as well. He's bound to improve too if played with better players.

Micah Richard's said when he trained with him at Villa as he was coming up, the defence used to just show him outside because he couldn't cross, after a few months they noticed his crossing massively improved. Shows he learns to adapt to the situation.

I've not seen it, I'll give it a look.

Echoes what I said earlier in the thread and just after the game finished.

No-one in midfield to put a foot on the ball. The midfield treated the ball like it was filled with TNT - just get rid of it. Basics like controlling it and passing to someone in a blue shirt went out the window. Their first response was to turn back towards their own goal and slide it back to Sanchez or Alderweireld. Very rarely was a pass forward contemplated.

Now partly this was due to the Wolves press (they were very good at it) but a Dier/Sissoko midfield axis, with the expectation of Sissoko covering Aurier when he goes forward, invites disaster. As does pitching Vertonghen against someone as fast as Traore but a much better footballer.

And of Dier? Well he's now had another game to get to 'match fitness'. I reckon this excuse will expire soon. Slow of thought and movement. Anyone who thinks he was 'great' yesterday was looking at a different game to me (and Jenas apparently).

Overall Dier could not be given anything other than another 'OK' game. I desperately want him to regain the heights of a couple of years ago., but not much in the last month (when he started to play regularly) has convinced me that he can.

Getting another DM in January will prove very difficult (or very costly) and the hope is that Winks or Skipp or Foyth (not my choice) may fill this position.

Dele and Son anonymous yesterday but 10/10 for Kane for his tireless work.

On to the Fascists and Christmas in the top 4?

Dele and Son were definitely not anonymous. Both worked as hard as Kane and contributed no less. Son forcing a save in the first few minutes and chasing every ball, Dele putting that sumptuous pass over the top and making himself available all match.
Lucas was a bit ineffective after his goal but he was tactically fouled as often as Traore.

And MOTD in my opinion were their usually selective self

My point is that they highlighted our 2nd goal and pointed out the factors I mentioned....

I don't see how our goal could have been pre-meditated as it relied on 2 separate things that were out of our control.

Sorry, I don't see your point mate.
Against Burnley we didn’t really employ a midfield we either went long or broke from deep. Wolves press negated that long ball because we were so tucked in which left breaking from our own half as the option. On a few occasions we did try to initiate that break but was invariably fouled as the move began unlike Burnley where we at least got past the first man.

Against Burnley we didn’t really employ a midfield we either went long or broke from deep. Wolves press negated that long ball because we were so tucked in which left breaking from our own half as the option. On a few occasions we did try to initiate that break but was invariably fouled as the move began unlike Burnley where we at least got past the first man.

Still struggling to tie that in with the corner.

I noted that Wolves had all 11 in their box meaning that there was no danger in them breaking on us.... Thus Jan got the green light to push up for what was likely our final attack.

Last edited:
This game was all about working on our defensive shape. They have clearly been working hard on it and Wolves created very few chances.

Wolves had great energy and were able to press the entire game.

Knowing that Sissoko would be helping out Aurier on the right; Wolves tagetted Jan the entire game. They knew that with Sissoko out wide; Dier couldn't be drawn out of the center and Jan would be all alone; with only Son to track back to help out.

It was encouraging to see us more organised in defence and able to defend set pieces.

Outstanding finish by Moura; and Dier was unlucky to not find the net. Excellent work by Kane all over the pitch; but would be nice to see us allow him to play as striker again!

The Eriksen critics must have a terrible hangover today.

I agree with virtually everything you said apart from the last sentence. Eriksen came on in the 89th minute and put a dangerous free kick in for once (that still didn’t result in anything) and took a corner that went past the first man. Why would Eriksen critics have a hangover- my son at age 10 could take a decent corner and every professional footballer should be able to. There isn’t reallymuch to be gained from analysing 5 mins of a game- personally I think he would have been roasted by Wolves if he had played the full 90 so let’s not get carried away

Back
Top Bottom