Wolves v Tottenham Hotspur (15/12/19) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watch the whole game there was at least 5 tines 3 in the 2nd half where they pressed high and Moura, Kane or Alli had a run on their defence only to be up ended. The ref was slow to issue yellows to them. The plan there and in effect but unlike Burnley the tactical fouls were deployed
We weren't blameless. Dier up-ended Traore and was booked. From memory, Sanchez was booked for something similar.

Lucas escaped a booking in the first half when he brought down one of their players.

Fixed it for you :) ha

Haha, Christmas is coming isn’t it?
tenor.gif

Still struggling to tie that in with the corner.

I noted that Wolves had all 11 in their box meaning there their was no danger in them breaking on us.... Thus Jan got the green light to push up for what was likeky our final attack.
Nothing to do with the corner, I was saying that was the general game plan maybe I compressed it all into one.
I believe we were working on variations of corners and that outswinger to the far post was one of them. Jan knew where he wanted to be and Eriksen knew where to put it. The way Jose and his team celebrated (beside the obvious) looked like a tactic coming to fruition

We weren't blameless. Dier up-ended Traore and was booked. From memory, Sanchez was booked for something similar.

Lucas escaped a booking in the first half when he brought down one of their players.
Didn’t say we were, but we certainly were not the only perpetrators and they definitely got away without being yellow carded more they should have

Nothing to do with the corner, I was saying that was the general game plan maybe I compressed it all into one.
I believe we were working on variations of corners and that outswinger to the far post was one of them. Jan knew where he wanted to be and Eriksen knew where to put it. The way Jose and his team celebrated (beside the obvious) looked like a tactic coming to fruition

Hard to tell really.... We only had 2 corners. :)

Didn't manage to watch the game live but just caught the highlights. Sounds like the ideal win. Good to see the shithousery on traore. We havent had that since dembele was with us.

You know what they say about wolves? The only good thing about playing there is the feeling that you can leave 2hrs later.

Love to see the saltiness. Glorious scenes. Bring on the chavs. I'm going for another 5 2. But this time Jose on the right side of it.

They only pointed out the reason why we kept giving the ball away, and why we as a team leak so many goals. The average fan has been notching about the defence for months but their protection is non existent. I've thought for a year Winks is bad for passing back to the CB's far too often, but I guess his passes are at least quick and straight to them. Still unacceptable levels of safety first negative nonsense.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be criticism but to avoid mentioning the positive aspects including what was a fantastic goal was just ridiculous.

I thought he exaggerated the 'lack of trust' between the players. Instead of it being a trust issue, another pundit could have said that Tottenham were trying to slow the game down and keep possession.

Jenas chose not to speak honestly about other aspects of the game by not mentioning them at all!

There's no excuse for not talking about Moura's fantastic goal in particular and also some of the good build-up play that was evident in other attacks.

If this was Liverpool, I'm sure the pundits would have been raving about it, saying 'they didn't play well, but they dug in, held on and got a crucial last minute winner which is the hallmark of a good side'

He hit the nail squarely on the head. We’ve been playing abysmally for months, results started to match, a manager who was one of the most highly regarded in football, who most thought was unsackable, was sacked.

Mourinho has come in and tinkered with a couple of things but the three decent teams we’ve played have still made us look pretty poor, and highlighted our inability to control games, and two of those - ManU and Wolves- aren’t exactly top drawer teams who normally dominate possession and Bayern aren’t the Bayern of old. And we still lost control and conceded goals to shit teams like West Ham, Bournemouth.

We were extremely fortunate to win that game yesterday and if we keep ignoring what our problems are - and the biggest one is a glaring lack of ability to play any football through our midfield - then we will continue to struggle, or at best stand still as a team.

This time last year we’d made our best ever start to a PL season and there was the same debate, half on here saying “results are great what’s the issue” and some saying “these results aren’t sustainable with the level of performances”.

Jenas was bang on the money, the only surprise is how it’s taken anyone in punditry land so long to actually highlight it properly.

Last edited:
He hit the nail squarely on the head. We’ve been playing abysmally for months, results started to match, a manager who was one of the most highly regarded in football, who most thought was unsackable, was sacked.

Mourinho has come in and tinkered with a couple of things but the three decent teams we’ve played have still made us look pretty poor, and highlighted our inability to control games, and two of those - ManU and Wolves- aren’t exactly top drawer teams who normally dominate possession and Bayern aren’t the Bayern of old.

We were extremely fortunate to win that game yesterday and if we keep ignoring what our problems are - and the biggest one is a glaring lack of ability to play any football through our midfield - then we will continue to struggle, or at best stand still as a team.

This time last year we’d made our best ever start to a PL season and there was the same debate, half on here saying “results are great what’s the issue” and some saying “these results aren’t sustainable with the level of performances”.

Jenas was bang on the money, the only surprise is how it’s taken anyone in punditry land so long to actually highlight it properly.

As I said before, I'm not saying there shouldn't be criticism but to avoid mentioning the positive aspects including what was a fantastic goal was just ridiculous.

As I said before, I'm not saying there shouldn't be criticism but to avoid mentioning the positive aspects including what was a fantastic goal was just ridiculous.
I guess it just boils down to the fact that a balanced appraisal doesn't offer the hyperbole required to keep people annoyed or entertained depending on what team you follow. Shame that it seems to have come to that in the battle for eye balls/ears. Even on the impartial BBC.

In Mourinho's defence, I don't even think we're trying to play football through the middle anymore. He's always been very vocal about the fact that possession does not, in and of itself, mean anything. There were points yesterday where I'm sure we were relinquishing the ball on purpose, to avoid getting out of our defensive block. Not pretty, but, well, occasionally effective.

At home and certainly when Ndombele is back, we might see more go through the middle, but even then he might try and funnel the majority down the flanks, with Aurier pushing forward.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that a balanced appraisal doesn't offer the hyperbole required to keep people annoyed or entertained depending on what team you follow. Shame that it seems to have come to that in the battle for eye balls/ears. Even on the impartial BBC.

Spot on mate!

The mere truth is no longer considered newsworthy enough anymore. Journalism is all but dead.

In Mourinho's defence, I don't even think we're trying to play football through the middle anymore. He's always been very vocal about the fact that possession does not, in and of itself, mean anything. There were points yesterday where I'm sure we were relinquishing the ball on purpose, to avoid getting out of our defensive block. Not pretty, but, well, occasionally effective.

At home and certainly when Ndombele is back, we might see more go through the middle, but even then he might try and funnel the majority down the flanks, with Aurier pushing forward.

Don't buy that at all. Even a good deep block, counter attacking attacking philosophy needs to transition the ball through midfield.

And lets not ignore that yesterday is not the only time we've lost control of games under Mourinho. And even against shit teams, you need to be able to play some football through midfield.

I have no problem with being pragmatic or with tactical management or periodisation of games, but if we are going to become Burnley or Palace and play midfield-less football and actively look to give the ball away then Mourinho can fuck off quick smart for me.

Back
Top Bottom