January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to just laugh

Our squad underperforming and down to its bare bones, but our main priority this month is selling more players
Because we cannot bring any more in until we sell. It is simple math.

You are allowed 25 players in a PL squad. We are currently at 24 and at our max limit of foreign talent. So we could realistically bring in 1 homegrown player without needing to sell.

I'm not a fan of the situation either but we are literally at the point where we need to sell to buy.

Why would he move to London to be second fidle for wages that aren’t going to be higher than his current deal?
fonejacker_isp_man.jpg

I mean, it is bloated. We have 24 of 25 allowed slots filled if I did the math right. If we want to bring in international talent we need to sell some of the ones on stock already.
I see 26 players shown in the squad according to our wiki page, that doesn't include Skipp, Tanganga or Parrott. It does include, KWP, CCV, Vorm, Wanyama all of whom we could easily rid ourselves of. It also includes Vertonghen and Eriksen who should be treated as "for the off" alongside Danny Rose. So we could get rid of 7 without too much fuss.

You are allowed 25 players in a PL squad. We are currently at 24 and at our max limit of foreign talent. So we could realistically bring in 1 homegrown player without needing to sell.

I'm not a fan of the situation either but we are literally at the point where we need to sell to buy.
Exactly why someone like Max Aarons at right back should be a priority, as should signing a holding mid, give him Wanyamas spot in the 25 and flog him on deadline day.

I see 26 players shown in the squad according to our wiki page, that doesn't include Skipp, Tanganga or Parrott. It does include, KWP, CCV, Vorm, Wanyama all of whom we could easily rid ourselves of. It also includes Vertonghen and Eriksen who should be treated as "for the off" alongside Danny Rose. So we could get rid of 7 without too much fuss.
But we are not allowed to register any new ones until they are actually gone. I am unsure on if KWP is still classed as youth or not, which would mean that he is a youth player rather than full on first team (which also applies to Clarke). And I'd assume that the club are not to keen on just unlisting players and being forced to pay wages for people to just hang out at the training center.

It's a numbers game and a bad situation all in all. We need to shift out guys like Wanyama and Eriksen (Clarke is almost definitely going back out on loan, CCV as well if not sold outright but he is homegrown so not a foreign slot).

Vorm is one that we probably could just unregister if Hugo is close to a comeback.

Is this true? Could we not just take their squad number off them or something, like we did with Fat Vinny Janssen?
Practically we could. But doing so is not exactly the norm. We'd still have to pay them their weekly guarantees (so around 75 grand a week to Eriksen for doing nothing for example). That would surely be the last resort for the club. Considering how bad the Poch-Janssen relationship seemed for a bit him losing his numbers could also have been a bit of punishment for all we know.

We probably have targets identified but want to/need to shift out Eriksen, Big Vic and such first.

But we are not allowed to register any new ones until they are actually gone. I am unsure on if KWP is still classed as youth or not, which would mean that he is a youth player rather than full on first team (which also applies to Clarke). And I'd assume that the club are not to keen on just unlisting players and being forced to pay wages for people to just hang out at the training center.

It's a numbers game and a bad situation all in all. We need to shift out guys like Wanyama and Eriksen (Clarke is almost definitely going back out on loan, CCV as well if not sold outright but he is homegrown so not a foreign slot).

Vorm is one that we probably could just unregister if Hugo is close to a comeback.
You're basing all of this on some wrong info though, we can register new players before selling, in fact during Jan the 25 man limit is suspended, then at the end of the month you register your 25 man squad again, if we hadn't sold the deadwood by then we can just not register them in the 25.

Sure it's not fiscally ideal but there is absolutely nothing in the rules preventing us from signing anyone.

but the bigger thing is we need a stable of MFers BC. Not 1 player or 2 players. We need 4 more MFers so it's not just about 1 of these guys. Everyone that is currently in the MF and hasn't been brought in this season is not good enough or will not be with us going forward. So we need 4 more MFers and shouldn't just be focused on 1 big buy.

I read this in a Samuel L Jackson voice and said motherfucker every time MFers showed up. Quite funny.

I understand that you are trying to explain and don't mean it as arguing for arguing itself.
But there are some half-tones inbetween.

We ARE currently paying for Wanyama, Vorm and KWP to "pay wages for people to just hang out at the training center" . We could just fire first 2 and pay the rest of the wages. Does not matter absolutely anything performance related. They don't play anyways and are even on the bench on very rare occasions.

So we could register new faces when we take them off our squads in respective competitions.
So radical, I agree, but there are ways and options if needed.

Your post neglects to consider the notion of an interested buyer.

Declaring someone as for sale is the only "easy" part of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom