Saints vs Mighty Spurs | FA 4th round Sat 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got excited by the sub at 55 then we don't attempt to make another sub until 80 and finally get Dier on at 87 after the goal.

Use your bench Mou.
I think, in his mind, he did. "If you can't win, don't lose". He knew the players were tired and that Soton were up for it. Bringing on an attack-minded player wouldn't have guaranteed a goal (realistically, the only choice was Ndombele or Sess), but Dier gave us a bit of steel. It's actually the smart move. As someone once said: "Goals win games, but defence wins titles"

Bit of musing in the spoiler...
I still think that quote is true (despite coming under a lot of scrutiny). It's clearly easier to stop goals than to score them (shot to goal ratio proves this). With 10 minutes to go, opponents in the ascendancy (as they say) and no striking options, you can play for a point/replay by playing defensive or trust blind luck and throw on a wildcard.

It's not sexy, but it's pragmatic and proven.

Last edited:
I think, in his mind, he did. "If you can't win, don't lose". He knew the players were tired and that Soton were up for it. Bringing on an attack-minded player wouldn't have guaranteed a goal (realistically, the only choice was Ndombele or Sess), but Dier gave us a bit of steel. It's actually the smart move. As someone once said: "Goals win games, but defence wins titles"
I'm not disagreeing with the sub he should have just made it at the 70 minute mark.

Then hold the attackers to the same standard.

Sitting here going ''we lost because of Aurier'' is bollocks.
Didn't say we did... but had Son made ANOTHER mistake and somehow missed the goal he scored, we'd have lost 0-1...
Had Aurier potentially made another mistake, we lose 0-2... that's the difference... and the point I'm making.

Son has a chance to make up for missed chances by scoring (which he eventually did) Aurier doesn't have the same luxury... and we paid for it!

To be fair, had the Tanganga 'handball' been given as a Pen, some would also be lambasting him right now!

I suppose the difference is, Son scores the goal... Aurier conspires to help concede one.

The lament of the Defender/GK... ONE mistake can lead to a goal...
You don't like it, don't be a defender!
One mistake by Son caused us to not score and win the game , one mistake by Lucas also caused us to not win. They shouldnt play in attack?

Didn't say we did... but had Son made ANOTHER mistake and somehow missed the goal he scored, we'd have lost 0-1...
Had Aurier potentially made another mistake, we lose 0-2... that's the difference... and the point I'm making.

Son has a chance to make up for missed chances by scoring (which he eventually did) Aurier doesn't have the same luxury... and we paid for it!

To be fair, had the Tanganga 'handball' been given as a Pen, some would also be lambasting him right now!
Which is my point. There is a double standard about what level of not doing your job is acceptable.

Point being don’t take silly risks when there’s no time to rectify it.
Basic schoolboy error that late in the game, just whack the ball up the pitch. Do you really need telling this?
Yeah, I know your point Sammy and totally agree. But it was a chance to give Sammy the business so that always has to be taken. :sonpoint:

Looked like Dier was waiting over 5 minutes to come on before they scored, Jose anticipated the goal but the ball didn’t go out to allow him to make a change, positives to take from today are we are looking a lot better in defence, hopefully we sign a proper DM and a striker and we will be good for Top 4, son is having a shit patch but he will pull through it, hopefully just in time for city!

Back
Top Bottom