Saints vs Mighty Spurs | FA 4th round Sat 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier was waiting nearly 4 mins to come on but the ball didn’t go out of play, Jose saw what was coming

Aurier didn’t lose the ball in a particularly dangerous position but lose it he did, why try dribbling through a double team when you’re tussling for control of the game.
It took SO long for him to come on, that by the time he actually came on (on my delayed Stream) THEY'D equalised in real life!

I think, in his mind, he did. "If you can't win, don't lose". He knew the players were tired and that Soton were up for it. Bringing on an attack-minded player wouldn't have guaranteed a goal (realistically, the only choice was Ndombele or Sess), but Dier gave us a bit of steel. It's actually the smart move. As someone once said: "Goals win games, but defence wins titles"
Actually defence can win 38 points a season which is 2 points less than the 40 points that all relegation contenders try to beat. You need goals to get the other 76 points.

All issues and nitpicking aside, our biggest problem is that we aren't clinical enough. The past few games, we should of had 2-3 goals on average but have only come away with 1, or none. If Sonny, Moura, Dele, etc. were more clinical, no one would be batting an eye and most of our "issues" would be swept under the table. I don't know if bringing in a striker is going to be life changing either. Remember, we weren't particularly great when Kane was on the field. To think we'd be better with a temporary Kane replacement is laughable.

i might be wrong here, I’d have to rewatch it, but wasn’t part of the problem that Aurier didn’t have many/any passing options open to him and therefore had to try and dribble?
He had a period where he could have off-loaded a left footed pass to Dele(?) in the center of MF but was engaged. He looked up and I thought he would pass but got a nudge and had to 'find the ball'. I think a pass was on though and whomever was in the center should have been screaming bloody murder for the ball and they weren't.

Dier was waiting nearly 4 mins to come on but the ball didn’t go out of play, Jose saw what was coming

Aurier didn’t lose the ball in a particularly dangerous position but lose it he did, why try dribbling through a double team when you’re tussling for control of the game.

Then something is wrong when one of our players can't kick the ball out deep in Southampton half to allow the sub to happen.

Harsh to criticise Aurier, tv commentator says the word Aurier, 5 seconds later saints score Aurier is to blame...
As a team we are poor, these players aren’t the players they were 2,3,4 years ago, it’s called a rebuild for a reason....
We just have to lower our expectations for a period of time and just keep plugging away in the meantime..

Actually defence can win 38 points a season which is 2 points less than the 40 points that all relegation contenders try to beat. You need goals to get the other 76 points.

Aphorisms are general truths. You have to use your imagination for the rest.

Also: 38 points is usually enough to stay up.

Last edited:
All issues and nitpicking aside, our biggest problem is that we aren't clinical enough. The past few games, we should of had 2-3 goals on average but have only come away with 1, or none. If Sonny, Moura, Dele, etc. were more clinical, no one would be batting an eye and most of our "issues" would be swept under the table. I don't know if bringing in a striker is going to be life changing either. Remember, we weren't particularly great when Kane was on the field. To think we'd be better with a temporary Kane replacement is laughable.
Kane is more clinical with his shots than anyone else on the team. Why wouldn't they score more goals with him back? He was scoring regularly before, and creating chances too.

Or are you just talking about a generic Kane replacement?

Back
Top Bottom