Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okay, I'm going to be a bit of an ass and micro-analyze why it's just not sitting well with me. He did what was needed and the absolute bare minimum at that.

"I don't know where to start!"

Bullshit. That's something that someone says when they're talking and were surprised by the levity of the situation or have so many competing thoughts that they are unsure of where to start. In an instagram post, that's just meaningless filler to create some ridiculous sense of him needing to pause for reflection.

"I didnt have time to say goodbye to everyone, even though i felt like i played a lot of games where everyone said and thought i would be gone the next day."

Feels oddly like a back-handed comment. He doesn't need to say the last bit. He could have left it at the point where he said he didn't have time to say goodbye to everyone. There's no reason to say the remainder of that line. This is really bothering me for some reason and I'm not sure why.

Maybe it makes it seem like he was forced to wait until the move? Or could it be that he is implying that everyone was clambering for him to leave but he was the good one and kept giving it all for the team?

"I have so many unbeliveable memories..."

Fine, it's just boilerplate filler.

"I enjoyed being at the training ground every day and playing games in the stadium so much,"

Great, glad to hear it, but isn't this a note to the fans? You liked the training ground and the stadium? Save that for Daniel Levy or the grounds crew.

"but sometimes you just want to try something new!"

You already said this...months ago while you were still a player and had some time left on your contract...we get it.

"So, Spurs fans it has been a pleasure to play at your club"

This just completely distances himself from the club and the fans. It was a pleasure to "play at your club". It's like there is no attachment or connection at all, or that he was any real part of it aside from just being there to play at our place for a little while.

"hopefully we meet again in the future!"

:dembelefingers:

Honestly, I was really over my frustration with him and moving on, but first his lack of any acknowledgement at first was poor, and now this pissed me off.

If he has a PR team, they suck. He wrote a letter to the fans and made no discernible recognition of the support he had received or showed any connection to the fans and club.

How about thanking them for all the support over the 6.5 years?
How about them singing his name millions of times during that period?
How about all the supporters who travelled thousands of miles to support him everywhere he went to play?
How about all of the people who bought his shirts and made him a household name?

None of that, no, he really enjoyed the training ground and the stadium.

Sorry, he's a cunt.

I really don't know how so many people can still stand the sight of this weasel faced little shit. Yeah he was great for us but all love died with his interview publically stating "I would have no problem signing a new contract at Spurs" a complete lie to simply let his contract down, the exact same thing he down at Ajax.

He should have simply said "Look I have enjoyed my time here but its time for something new" and give the club time to sell him. Instead his actions caused some fans to turn against the club which IMO is pathetic, Club and badge over any fucking player ALL of the time. But he chose to be a coward, so he can fuck off to Italy happily in my eyes.

Why the insistence to communicate the hate? What's the point?

You agree with the way he treated us in the end? Blatant lies to us as fans and good knows what he said to the management and owners. He put his own desires and wants before his employers and lied about it, which is fair enough its his choice, owes us or the club anything, but IMO he has acted in a cuntish fashion. I certainly wont be licking his arse while giving him a reach around as he leaves.

Last edited:
Because I think he's a cunt who has treated us like shit.

Because this is TFC, not Mumsnet!
"he treated us like shit". Really!?

Oh and the 'x' is not a weapon, it means "disagree". So when you are asked a question you can choose to answer it, or not. But you can't disagree with a question. I mean, what exactly did you disagree with the question asked of you?

You agree with the way he treated us in the end? Blatant lies to us as fans and good knows what he said to the management and owners. He put his own desires and wants before his employers and lied about it, which is fair enough its his choice, owes us or the club anything, but IMO he has acted in a cuntish fashion. I certainly wont be licking his arse while giving him a reach around.
How did he treat us? What did he do? What lies?

How did he treat us? What did he do? What lies?

Ummm saying he would have no problem signing a new contract a clear lie to allow his contract to run down, clearly playing below his standard for the last year to avoid injury. I cant find the quotes but they were to a newspaper, will post when I find.

EDIT: Found it.

“I have the wildest and deepest respect for everything that has happened in Tottenham. But I have also said that I would like to try something new,” he told Ekstrbladet. (fair enough should have said that and allow the club to sell him)

“I hope there will be a clarification during the summer. In football you do not know when a clarification comes. Everyone wants it best if it happens as soon as possible, but in football takes things time.

“It depends on Daniel Levy and another club has to come. Or I have to sit down at the table and negotiate a new contract.”
(This is the bullshit, never had any intention of signing a new contract, simply winding it down to get away on a bumper salary)

He done the very same thing to Ajax and its why he isn't held in the same regard as say Verts for example.

Last edited:
This is only a guess..

But maybe being booed for 3 games straight left a bitter taste in his mouth.

That tends to happen, he is afterall just a Humanbeing.
Oh, boo-hoo.

Maybe if he actually put in a decent shift more than twice in the last year, it wouldn't have happened. It wasn't like he was performing at his peak ability and he was getting crapped on by the fans. The fans knew it, Mourinho knew it, the commentators were starting to make digs at him for his lack of effort and he frankly knew it too.

There is one thing about Spurs supporters that can be frustrating but I still really like. If a player just doesn't have the ability but they give it all and put in the effort, they are looked at very fondly and generally very well supported.

It's when the players stop trying that this stuff happens.

Oh, boo-hoo.

Maybe if he actually put in a decent shift more than twice in the last year, it wouldn't have happened. It wasn't like he was performing at his peak ability and he was getting crapped on by the fans. The fans knew it, Mourinho knew it, the commentators were starting to make digs at him for his lack of effort and he frankly knew it too.

There is one thing about Spurs supporters that can be frustrating but I still really like. If a player just doesn't have the ability but they give it all and put in the effort, they are looked at very fondly and generally very well supported.

It's when the players stop trying that this stuff happens.
Speculation quite frankly on your part.

And again, maybe you say Boo-hoo, but any human would feel like that, incl you - Justified or not.

I do not think he downed his tools, I think he was struggling, and was burnt out.

People are kidding themselves if they think he will be a much better player at Inter.

It will take time, he will be just as bad to begin with imo.

Ummm saying he would have no problem signing a new contract a clear lie to allow his contract to run down, clearly playing below his standard for the last year to avoid injury. I cant find the quotes but they were to a newspaper, will post when I find.
I'll save you the bother:

He said he “I feel that I am at a stage of my career where I would like to try something new. I have the deepest respect for everything that is happening at Tottenham and it would not be something negative to stay. But I have also said that I would like to try something new.

“I hope that something will be decided this summer. That is the plan. In football, you never know when there could be a decision like that. It could be at any point. The best thing is always for it to happen quickly but in football things take time.”

“Real Madrid is a step up but then it would take Real Madrid picking up the phone and making contact with Tottenham and say that they want Christian,” Eriksen said. “And that they haven’t done as far as I know.

“It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.”

Eriksen was asked whether he would seek to run down his contract. “That is difficult to say,” he replied. “It depends on the possibilities. If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.”

Where are the lies?
How did he treat us badly?
He doesn't pick himself, two separate managers played him following these quotes, they didn't have to select him at all, but they did.

I'll save you the bother:

He said he “I feel that I am at a stage of my career where I would like to try something new. I have the deepest respect for everything that is happening at Tottenham and it would not be something negative to stay. But I have also said that I would like to try something new.

“I hope that something will be decided this summer. That is the plan. In football, you never know when there could be a decision like that. It could be at any point. The best thing is always for it to happen quickly but in football things take time.”

“Real Madrid is a step up but then it would take Real Madrid picking up the phone and making contact with Tottenham and say that they want Christian,” Eriksen said. “And that they haven’t done as far as I know.

“It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.”

Eriksen was asked whether he would seek to run down his contract. “That is difficult to say,” he replied. “It depends on the possibilities. If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.”

Where are the lies?
How did he treat us badly?
He doesn't pick himself, two separate managers played him following these quotes, they didn't have to select him at all, but they did.

I have outlined in my post above, look I don't expect everyone to agree with my way of thinking I am simply stating it and defending my reasons for doing so. My issue is players running down their contract with the intention of going on a free, I don't like it, but again its his right to do so.

He lied IMO by saying he would consider staying and signing a contract, this just gave him more time to run his contract down. Come on your not that naïve we had injuries to Le Celso (his natural successor) and Ndombele we didn't have much of a choice.

BTW even feeling how I feel about him I wouldn't have been booing if I was in the stands.

I can name a few other players who have played like "cunts" without getting booed.

It's in bad taste tbh, and I am just explaining why his letter to us, might seem disingenuous. Like I wrote good reason or not, that would affect anybody.

In any case, booing what was a loyal servant for many years, seems lowly and uncultured imo.
Wouldn't call him loyal at all. Seemed to down tools at the moment his manager needed him the most. The manager who made him in this country.

That's not loyalty in my book.

Wouldn't call him loyal at all. Seemed to down tools at the moment his manager needed him the most. The manager who made him in this country.

That's not loyalty in my book.
Well in my book, his 6 years of service, never complaining, always doing what the gaffer told him, always helping out the team, to me that is loyalty.

The manager did not "make" him, he made himself, and was a good footballer before he came here. As much as we want to take credit for whatever good he has done. In reality we owe him nothing, and he owes us nothing.

His form went down around a 10 months ago in my book. imo he did not down his tools, he was/is burnt out.

With that reasoning most of the team should be booed for "letting down" Poch.

But each to their own, eh?

He is done as a Spurs, so for me at least I am about done talking about him.

I have outlined in my post above, look I don't expect everyone to agree with my way of thinking I am simply stating it and defending my reasons for doing so. My issue is players running down their contract with the intention of going on a free, I don't like it, but again its his right to do so.

He lied IMO by saying he would consider staying and signing a contract, this just gave him more time to run his contract down. Come on your not that naïve we had injuries to Le Celso (his natural successor) and Ndombele we didn't have much of a choice.

BTW even feeling how I feel about him I wouldn't have been booing if I was in the stands.
He didn't leave on a free, we got what looks like £20m.

His statement was about as upfront as it could possibly be, he wanted to leave. He left the door open for further negotiations on a new deal but those depended on certain "conditions". Now no one knows what those "conditions" were. I doubt it was money, only because we offered him a mega new deal for him to stay (twice, once under Poch and again when Jose got here), he also refused to join Utd in the Summer. So if the conditions were not money then we can only assume it was for a Club that had a high percentage of maybe winning a League Title??? Who knows!

But there were no lies, in fact, you couldn't get more upfront of a statement in the moving sands of in football land if you tried.

Well in my book, his 6 years of service, never complaining, always doing what the gaffer told him, always helping out the team, to me that is loyalty.

The manager did not "make" him, he made himself, and was a good footballer before he came here. As much as we want to take credit for whatever good he has done. In reality we owe him nothing, and he owes us nothing.

His form went down around a 10 months ago in my book. imo he did not down his tools, he was/is burnt out.

Pretty shit in his first season before Poch arrived.

He didn't leave on a free, we got what looks like £20m.

His statement was about as upfront as it could possibly be, he wanted to leave. He left the door open for further negotiations on a new deal but those depended on certain "conditions". Now no one knows what those "conditions" were. I doubt it was money, only because we offered him a mega new deal for him to stay (twice, once under Poch and again when Jose got here), he also refused to join Utd in the Summer. So if the conditions were not money then we can only assume it was for a Club that had a high percentage of maybe winning a League Title??? Who knows!

But there were no lies, in fact, you couldn't get more upfront of a statement in the moving sands of in football land if you tried.

I don't think he had any intention of signing a new contract, that's my issue we could of sold him a season ago if he wanted. To go £20M is good negotiation but with a decent amount of contract he's worth at least £75-80M. You can choose to believe what you wish and I can choose what I want to.

Fair enough he wants to leave to win a title, great but remember who's paying your wages at the club you are currently at. His head was clearly "turned" for the last year.

Then stfu about it.

:harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom