Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mismanagement
Aurier makes such fundamental mistakes. How many times does this guy:

1) Head the ball towards the top of the box when he is defending in his own half
2) Pass the ball to the middle in front of the box with the other team’s players around that area

in a single game?

He makes many very basic mental errors consistently
I totally agree. He is a liability in defence. He can cross a ball but only once in a while. Lets not forget

So are you honestly saying that right now, based on how our squad looks with its injuries and all etc that you think a DM is a greater priority than a FWD?

Long term a DM is crucial yes but we have depth that can cover in Winks, Dier, Skipp etc, we have outs.

We keep getting injuries every season to Kane, this must be the 3rd or 4th season in a row where our season is at risk of getting derailed because of an injury to him. Sadly as it stands our team would massively benefit from a new forward ahead of any other signing made. Long term perhaps things are different but we can't risk another situation like the one we've seen time and time again

Yes. 100% yes.

We have 1 world class striker in ranks.
We have 1 elite level forward player in ranks in Son.

Now they are unfortunately both injured.

We have 0 elite level DM's / controlling midfielders in the whole squad. Even when everyone are fit. Winks and Dier are much further away from "world class" level in DM position than Son is in RW / ST position.

So with 100% certainty for me the position where we have no player at all is with higher priority where we have one world class player and one elite level player (even though they both happen to be injured now).

It is easier to create chances with very good midfield without designated strikers - this would mean we move ball faster, attacking players such as Bergwijn, Moura, Alli, Lamela will get the ball in better position and with more room.
It is much harder to have good goal-scoring opportunities when you have good striker like Kane upfront but your midfield is not able to deliver ball fast to dangerous areas.

My response to any defeat is to defend us against the media onslaught that follows - just look at the press coverage you'd think we lost 5-0 to a pub side - yours is to pile in and criticise the club ...

each to their own I guess .....

Nobody's pretending we're not struggling but we're not as you so eloquently put it "fucking shite" .... however if saying that makes you happy ... go right ahead just don't expect much support.

FYI - I guarantee I've seen us played off the park nearly as often as you've had hot dinners, it's all part of being a supporter sticking behind us with the good and the bad ...

Even though you’re a big Trump supporter, I really like you. You are Tottenham 100% - family. Blood. COYS!

Lloris (7)
Aurier (4)
Toby (5)
Sanchez (5)
Davies (4)
Winks (6)
Lo Celso (8.5)
Gedson (6)
Moura (5)
Dele (5)
Bergwijn (5)

Lamela (7.5)
Ndombele (6.5)

This is how i feel the players fare last night.
At some moment in the game i felt a bit confused as to how we cant seem to control game with the talents that we got.
Im just hoping Jose really understand the situation and not underestimating our potential.
We need our attacking players to be much braver. To go shoulder to shoulder with defenders.
Such a difficult situation indeed. But if we could pass around and control the match a little bit more, we could probably rest and rotate our front line.

But i do worry we wont be able to score goals against any team that played with 3 center backs. We are only gonna get outmuscled, and their box stayed relatively sterile.
I’ve not paid a huge amount of attention to your ratings as I got stuck on Sanchez at 4 ??
I mean I have been a stern critic of Dav. But a 5 !!

he might’ve been our best player ?

It’s not irony. I just simply answered your post.
Your post was off topic.
Although it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing.

Imagine going into January with no fit goalkeepers then rather than sign one we try wing it through the season with Jan or a Toby in goal?

I'm absolutely convinced there would some on here that would try to justify it.
There are as many opinions as posters on here. Got to be many disagreements. It's just a question of discussing without ge
Even though you’re a big Trump supporter, I really like you. You are Tottenham 100% - family. Blood. COYS!
Trump supporter?????

So much overreacting. This season was a write off.

It's the hope that kills you. Some people were perhaps expecting us to be able to raise our game significantly after Mourinho was appointed. I have to admit I didn't believe myself we would still struggle so much after Poch left and downplayed the need of a squad overhaul. Even so, I still think it's realistic to expect us to challenge for top 4/5.

I haven't seen anybody suggesting we sign a £100 million striker. Not one.

The ones we were linked with were all under the £30 million mark.

One in particular would have cost £22 million and was desperate to come but we refused to go over £14 million

Vedat Muriqi would have been cheaper at around £20 million. Lots of other names mentioned.

Why didn't we have a list of possibles when it was clear we were losing Llorente? Someone we could bring in with a minimum of fuss when the extent of Kane's injury was obvious? Why was there no contingency plan?

You were one of those saying it was paramount that we bring in a striker while the window was still open, one of those who rowed way back on that when it became clear we weren't going to. Why?

Are you suggesting a 20m striker would be better than Kane, Son, Lamela, Lucas, Dela, Bergwijn ....

We need a striker but not yet another waste of money low quality failure ... what's the point?

Yes. 100% yes.

We have 1 world class striker in ranks.
We have 1 elite level forward player in ranks in Son.

Now they are unfortunately both injured.

We have 0 elite level DM's / controlling midfielders in the whole squad. Even when everyone are fit. Winks and Dier are much further away from "world class" level in DM position than Son is in RW / ST position.

So with 100% certainty for me the position where we have no player at all is with higher priority where we have one world class player and one elite level player (even though they both happen to be injured now).

It is easier to create chances with very good midfield without designated strikers - this would mean we move ball faster, attacking players such as Bergwijn, Moura, Alli, Lamela will get the ball in better position and with more room.
It is much harder to have good goal-scoring opportunities when you have good striker like Kane upfront but your midfield is not able to deliver ball fast to dangerous areas.

I'm talking about what we could do with now and how we be hamstrung when injuries occur.

If Winks or Dier get injured we have ways we can work around it, even if it won't look the best. When Kane gets injured we lose our focal point and purely rely on Son.

We need both in my view. A DM to be a starter and a FWD to offer depth. As it stands there's only one of these that are going to stitch us up from now until the end of the season and I know if offered which one is the safe bet moving forward. We finished top 4 last season with Winks as DM, we are currently 5th with him as DM. We could have better but with no striker it absolutely batters the team so both slots come with massive importance and both need addressing.

Aurier makes such fundamental mistakes. How many times does this guy:

1) Head the ball towards the top of the box when he is defending in his own half
2) Pass the ball to the middle in front of the box with the other team’s players around that area

in a single game?

He makes many very basic mental errors consistently

It's insane, especially considering his overall skill level.

The bloke is so error prone.

And we are not even slagging him really. The level of sillyness he has displayed is staggering, conceeding such moments at least once or twice PER GAME running.

And then we have other Spurs fans accusing us of racism. Mind boggling.

I agree. We have very talented players, even with the injuries. We can díctate more of the game while defending well.
The biggest worry I have is simply how we have chosen to play.

I think it's highly relevant given who we have just played that we look to the philosophy of RB Leipzig's director of football Ralf Rangnick’s, on the first principle of the club’s play he says:

“Add maximum possibility to the team and act, don’t react. So you need to dictate the game with and without the ball, not through individuals.”

You saw this in practice last night, from a side that is made up of players that hardly anyone has ever heard of (with the exception of their Striker), not one player being bought for more than €20m and with a couple of loans, notably one a kid from Chelsea's academy thrown into a CL game to cover 3 of their first-team players also missing from their line up.

Jose's rationale seemed to be that if he lost two of his best players, then he best surrender the game completely and go into a deep low block (which was poorly executed anyway), it's completly reactive.

The obvious point here is that the pressing mobile game is so hardwired that you can play it with anyone. It might not be as effective without your best players, but it is still identifiable. It is still dangerous and this was proved by Red Bull last night who were missing key players also, but they still played in a progressive manner regardless of their players who were missing.

The system should be the playmaker.

Jose has already got the fanbase talking about the lost personnel, he's brilliant at expectation management, in the space of two months he's gone from "these players are "brilliant" and can win the title next year" to he "can't wait for it to be July". What has caused this swing? He's lost 2 players to injury!! It's quite a brilliant piece of expectation management to be fair, as it would appear that so many have bought into it.

People trotting out the line of not buying a striker as if this really was the reason/excuse for last night. Had we have bought one in Jan would they have played? Would they have been any good? Had we have kept Llorente would that have meant we would have transformed us to a team playing with energy and pressing them all over the pitch last night?!! Of course it wouldn't! We would have set up exactly the same.

It's hard to get my head around the fact that Nagelsmann has been in charge of RB for just 11 more games than Jose has been in charge of Spurs!! While we get rid of a progressive coach and swap him for Mourinho (a reactive one), we could have done what RB did and replace a progressive coach for another one and him build on what was already in place.

Last edited:
Man people love jumping to conclusions and using a small sample size to try and fit their broader narrative. The reality is Jose has not had a summer to instill his philosophy. It could be the same old or it could be something new, we just really do not know.

What he is doing now is being practical to try and get results (and you can't argue he hasn't been effective at that, look at our league performance).

We played last night without arguably our two best players who are our two best goal threats. That is not on him.

Man people love jumping to conclusions and using a small sample size to try and fit their broader narrative. The reality is Jose has not had a summer to instill his philosophy. It could be the same old or it could be something new, we just really do not know.

What he is doing now is being practical to try and get results (and you can't argue he hasn't been effective at that, look at our league performance).

We played last night without arguably our two best players who are our two best goal threats. That is not on him.

We played without our two best players and goal threats yet still had 3-4 very good chances to score that we should have done better with. Bergwijn, Lo Celso and Lucas on two occasions on another day could and should have done better. I saw a lot of promise last night from a team trying to find its way without their two talismen for the first time this season. I think we pushed and probed well in the latter stages given the circumstances.

We played without our two best players and goal threats yet still had 3-4 very good chances to score that we should have done better with. Bergwijn, Lo Celso and Lucas on two occasions on another day could and should have done better. I saw a lot of promise last night from a team trying to find its way without their two talismen for the first time this season. I think we pushed and probed well in the latter stages given the circumstances.
Probably more worrying is that we could've been 3-0 down after 25 mins, just like last Sunday at Villa Park, sometimes it seems as if certain players need 30 mins or even a half or an hour to get going.

Last edited:
I agree we did the best with what we have available. Davies made a howler tackle and in many ways that was it. When you play champions league there is very little room for errors. Goals are not just something other teams will give away. We are not good enough to compete, sorry to say. We got overrun and outplayed by a team everyone said was our best draw. Go figure.

I agree we did the best with what we have available. Davies made a howler tackle and in many ways that was it. When you play champions league there is very little room for errors. Goals are not just something other teams will give away. We are not good enough to compete, sorry to say. We got overrun and outplayed by a team everyone said was our best draw. Go figure.

We lost to a Champions League team that I believe were a good draw to get but once you lose Kane and Son you're facing a monster of a hill to climb. The only thing I saw in this Champions League campaign was hopeful progression to give us more money. The moment we lose both Kane and Son for the season our European chances of success go from slim to none.

How do you think Leipzig would have fared against us if we had Kane and Son fit and they were the ones without players like Werner & Schick? Sometimes in sport you get the tough breaks, other times you get a slice of fortune, that's just how it goes with athletes and injury lists good man, that's just how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom