Tottenham Hotspur v Wolves (01/03/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lo Celso - 19 epl starts. 0 assists. 0 goals. And this guy is supposed to replace Eriksen? His passing range and creativity is on par with Winks. At least we didn't sign bruno right?

Winks - I don't understand how a player that cannot pass forwards, can't shoot and is a poor tackler is starting for a 'top' team. He's bang average.

Moura - great work rate, but no end product. He has no vision to pass the ball and just runs down blind ally's.

Bergjwin - If Parott 'isn't ready' to play, why is this guy? Largely a passenger in games, and certainly not up to the required level yet.

Ali - yet another woeful performance. Is it because he is surround by shite?

Gedson - I'm not even sure what the purpose is of this guy. Not fast, not a passer, not a strong tackler. What is his purpose?

Time for mourinho to stop whinging that he doesn't have a striker and to get Parott starting games. We need a striker and he is all we have.

I didn't mind that line up at all, I wished it had been a 433 though, mirroring Wolves kind of worked for us and against us, we got Aurier into some good positions, two resulted in goals, but Wolves also exploited the vulnerabilities of both Aurier and Davies - and the novelty of our system to us - to score three.

As I said, I'd have preferred that to be a 433 - as GDG said above and I have said previously several times - both Poch and Mourinho kept/keep playing CM2 midfields, when none of the CM's we have are rounded enough to play as double pivots - and this does none of them any favours. But if we are going to play the 343, then I actually don't have too many problems with the side picked and set up. I liked the front three (based on who was available) especially Alli as that flash 9 focal point - which some omni present bumbling aside - worked really well I thought, he's got through a shit load of ball (60 touches, 42 passes) was heavily involved in both goals, and was unlucky with a header.

I also liked the back 3, get the logic, Dier the ballast (pun intended) with the quick and aggressive Sanchez and Tanganga either side to help cover the WB areas.

Although I wish dearly we'd just play a fucking 433/CM3 system and I'd even tolerate Dier as the 6 if we could try it with Lo Celso and Ndombele either side, I think both Winks and Lo Celso did decent enough jobs today, they both got through an absolute fuck ton of ball, (Winks 81/86, GLC 66/76 passes) and both completed the most final third passes in the game ( Winks 21, GLC 22) and Winks was involved in the build up of both our goals with forward passes. But both struggled to wade through the quagmire once Wolves got their ultra well drilled shit together. Winks was particularly wasteful around the box a couple of times.

Every week we are changing shape, changing players, changing how we approach games, but regardless of what we do, we are still allowing teams to get into too many decent attacking situations, something I'd really hoped Mourinho would have got to grips with by now. Giving him the benefit of some doubt, I'm wondering if he's looked at this squad, seen it's not been assembled with "defending" in mind, and is just trying to get results the best way he can, and to be fair, until the last couple of weeks his PPG was kind of validating that.

Once again we've let in some really pathetic goals. Two of which could and should have been prevented way before they got to the box, and then when they got to the box more shambolic defending ensued. The first one Dier inexplicably just misses a simple clearance and air kicks, which throws Tanganga who just takes the sting off their cross for their guy to bury. The second one Tanganga needs to stop Traore with that challenge, fair or foul, and most players his challenge might of, but Traore bounces off him, then feeds Doherty while Dier is left flat footed. The third Moura first, then particularly Aurier have to fucking stop Jota, fair or foul, but both are just too fucking flimsy, mentally and physically. I think this is what Mourinho was, rightly referring to post match. But it's this kind of fucking wet naivety that I thought he'd have squared off by now if nothing else.

I'm so internally conflicted on Mourinho. I know we can't make a full and fair judgement until he's had a pre season and time to mould this team into what he wants it to be. My issue, even if we are prepared to buy him who he wants to succeed, and sell who he doesn't, and he turns us into some pragmatically efficient winning machine is, will I be able to love that team? what will that look like? Will it look like a deluxe Wolves? or his ManU team ? I'm not sure I can love that. Will it look more like his Real Madrid, Inter or even his Chelsea MK1 phase? Maybe I could....maybe...

There's still a bit of me that remembers that all to fleeting heyday of Poch, when we didn't just win, but we won with panache, that watched (Herr Flick's) Bayern Munich's proactive flowing football in midweek, Ajax's youthful exuberance, the vibrant press-tactic energy of the likes of RB Leipzig, BM(eh)Gladbach, Schalke, Getafe and the positive attacking brand of Dortmund and Leverkusen and just thinks no matter how close Mourinho gets to making us in his image, will he get it so right that I won't always be looking over my shoulder wishing and wondering what else we could be...?
I remember the days of our tactical fouling to stop the counter than every team was moaning about. When did we stop that? I guess around the time we stopped our press.

We could have avoided 2 goals yesterday if people were prepared to take a card.

I thought we played well, certainly didn't deserve to lose. Terrible defending cost us. I get why Toby did not play as he just too slow but Tanganga really struggles when a defender runs at him. Didn't help that Davies can't run either.
We have no choice to play Dele and Lucas at the moment, I get that, but to see Dele moping around the pitch and constantly complaining is depressing. Lucas tries hard but can't keep the ball at all - is not good enough for the first team.

I sincerely thought he was. I truly did. Sorry if I did indeed put words in your mouth. I hate that as well.

But in my defense you say he's not your guy or your first choice but it does/did seem like you were happy with the appointment (him being a 'winner, etc). You have said we are lucky to have him. And considering how you doggedly you defend him I could be forgiven for thinking such. I think it could and would be considered a fair conclusion for a good faith actor to derive. But if I am wrong I hold my hands up my friend.

If you don't mind me asking Baz who was your first choice?

I was advocating Potter from Brighton
A sort of fresh start approach but not many agreed with me!

I defend José in the same way I used to defend Sissoko when everyone was on his back and look how that turned out

But he’s ‘our guy’ now so I’m going with it

Lo Celso - 19 epl starts. 0 assists. 0 goals. And this guy is supposed to replace Eriksen? His passing range and creativity is on par with Winks. At least we didn't sign bruno right?

Winks - I don't understand how a player that cannot pass forwards, can't shoot and is a poor tackler is starting for a 'top' team. He's bang average.

Moura - great work rate, but no end product. He has no vision to pass the ball and just runs down blind ally's.

Bergjwin - If Parott 'isn't ready' to play, why is this guy? Largely a passenger in games, and certainly not up to the required level yet.

Gedson - I'm not even sure what the purpose is of this guy. Not fast, not a passer, not a strong tackler. What is his purpose?

Time for mourinho to stop whinging that he doesn't have a striker and to get Parott starting games. We need a striker and he is all we have.

This is a bad take.

All these are shit. So let's give an 18 year old a go instead.

Why are you biased? Giving excuse for SLow Alli. He should have scored TWICE, one lucky dropped for Bergwijn to score and the other a free header wide. He was the worst Spurs player yesterday competing with Davies for that position.
You should have been fair and said LoCelso is surrounded by sh!te.

Last edited:
I didn't mind that line up at all, I wished it had been a 433 though, mirroring Wolves kind of worked for us and against us, we got Aurier into some good positions, two resulted in goals, but Wolves also exploited the vulnerabilities of both Aurier and Davies - and the novelty of our system to us - to score three.

As I said, I'd have preferred that to be a 433 - as GDG said above and I have said previously several times - both Poch and Mourinho kept/keep playing CM2 midfields, when none of the CM's we have are rounded enough to play as double pivots - and this does none of them any favours. But if we are going to play the 343, then I actually don't have too many problems with the side picked and set up. I liked the front three (based on who was available) especially Alli as that flash 9 focal point - which some omni present bumbling aside - worked really well I thought, he's got through a shit load of ball (60 touches, 42 passes) was heavily involved in both goals, and was unlucky with a header.

I also liked the back 3, get the logic, Dier the ballast (pun intended) with the quick and aggressive Sanchez and Tanganga either side to help cover the WB areas.

Although I wish dearly we'd just play a fucking 433/CM3 system and I'd even tolerate Dier as the 6 if we could try it with Lo Celso and Ndombele either side, I think both Winks and Lo Celso did decent enough jobs today, they both got through an absolute fuck ton of ball, (Winks 81/86, GLC 66/76 passes) and both completed the most final third passes in the game ( Winks 21, GLC 22) and Winks was involved in the build up of both our goals with forward passes. But both struggled to wade through the quagmire once Wolves got their ultra well drilled shit together. Winks was particularly wasteful around the box a couple of times.

Every week we are changing shape, changing players, changing how we approach games, but regardless of what we do, we are still allowing teams to get into too many decent attacking situations, something I'd really hoped Mourinho would have got to grips with by now. Giving him the benefit of some doubt, I'm wondering if he's looked at this squad, seen it's not been assembled with "defending" in mind, and is just trying to get results the best way he can, and to be fair, until the last couple of weeks his PPG was kind of validating that.

Once again we've let in some really pathetic goals. Two of which could and should have been prevented way before they got to the box, and then when they got to the box more shambolic defending ensued. The first one Dier inexplicably just misses a simple clearance and air kicks, which throws Tanganga who just takes the sting off their cross for their guy to bury. The second one Tanganga needs to stop Traore with that challenge, fair or foul, and most players his challenge might of, but Traore bounces off him, then feeds Doherty while Dier is left flat footed. The third Moura first, then particularly Aurier have to fucking stop Jota, fair or foul, but both are just too fucking flimsy, mentally and physically. I think this is what Mourinho was, rightly referring to post match. But it's this kind of fucking wet naivety that I thought he'd have squared off by now if nothing else.

I'm so internally conflicted on Mourinho. I know we can't make a full and fair judgement until he's had a pre season and time to mould this team into what he wants it to be. My issue, even if we are prepared to buy him who he wants to succeed, and sell who he doesn't, and he turns us into some pragmatically efficient winning machine is, will I be able to love that team? what will that look like? Will it look like a deluxe Wolves? or his ManU team ? I'm not sure I can love that. Will it look more like his Real Madrid, Inter or even his Chelsea MK1 phase? Maybe I could....maybe...

There's still a bit of me that remembers that all to fleeting heyday of Poch, when we didn't just win, but we won with panache, that watched (Herr Flick's) Bayern Munich's proactive flowing football in midweek, Ajax's youthful exuberance, the vibrant press-tactic energy of the likes of RB Leipzig, BM(eh)Gladbach, Schalke, Getafe and the positive attacking brand of Dortmund and Leverkusen and just thinks no matter how close Mourinho gets to making us in his image, will he get it so right that I won't always be looking over my shoulder wishing and wondering what else we could be...?

Very good summary.
Can't agree more - should have played 4-3-3. I think if we'd kept our fullbakcs back, Dier trying to provide support from midfield and Lo Celso-Winks either side of him, Alli on top and Moura-Bergwijn on wings, it would have worked better.

Lo Celso and Winks were decent but never suited for CM duo.
Though this game was lost in defense and offence for a change. We were able to match them in midfield - if Dele would have taken his chances and Dier-Tanganga duo wouldnt have just blatantly GIFTED Wolves the goals it would have been different thing.

BUT (!) I cant agree with last section of your post. Poch was chronical loser. Even though clearly during best spells under him we played football that was easy on the eye. But there were always 2 huge flaws which were reason we actually didn't win as much as League Cup under him (and we never would have won, even if he'd stayed here for 5 more years, I believe) -
- his attacking play was panically afraid of taking risks - even when we were controlling the game fully, we played first and foremost not to concede. We were not direct enough in our positional attacks.
- he was not able to make our players truly believe that we COULD win something. Look at how badly we started big games and how badly we coped with pressure if we ever got close.

Ultimately these shit players cost Poch his job, Levy (again!) didn’t sign the right players in Jan and now we’re a complete mess. Don’t feel Jose was the right appointment and furthermore nothing will change with these poisonous cunts owning our club. Sucking the life out the fans.

To think we were challenging for the title a few years ago supported by the fact we didn’t replace the likes of Dembele, Walker or signing a back-up to Kane. Enough is enough, the fans need to make a stand.
Dembele left in January a year ago, there was no title challenge to be had.

We had back up for Kane. It wasn’t used for two years and then it was used, got us through a CL quarter and semi and was then binned.

So basically we failed because we didn’t replace Walker?

they have, within what 4 years ? Assembled a squad that’s challenging for the Top 4. Whereas it took Levy how long ? Ok Chinese money has totally helped close the gap quickly, but it exposes the truth again that it’s ££££ that is key for the squad members to join and then perform, not a nice locker room, not a nice stadium etc. These things help but never as much as wedge does.
Not sure how that works. Our estimated player salaries total circa £85m/yr, Wolves are at about £30m/yr. How much you pay someone does not determine how good at football they are.

Dembele left in January a year ago, there was no title challenge to be had.

We had back up for Kane. It wasn’t used for two years and then it was used, got us through a CL quarter and semi and was then binned.

So basically we failed because we didn’t replace Walker?
So you're basically happy with our squad? It's fans like you who will just sit and suck up mediocrity.

So you're basically happy with our squad? It's fans like you who will just sit and suck up mediocrity.
I’m not happy with the squad but your rant didn’t add up.

Dembele didn’t need replacing in 2017

And THIS squad doesn’t have two back up strikers in it.
I’d be happier with Llorente and Janssen here than I am now though.

You want to go back to the title challenge season let’s do that.
Lloris, Dele, Eriksen, Kane, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Rose and Walker all at world class levels

Dier, Lamela, Davies, Wanyama, Trippier and Son all providing top 4 quality levels regularly.

Who failed to instill a winning mentality into them and show true tactical flexibility and rotation?

You want to compare then to now, you’re talking fucking shit

they have, within what 4 years ? Assembled a squad that’s challenging for the Top 4. Whereas it took Levy how long ? Ok Chinese money has totally helped close the gap quickly, but it exposes the truth again that it’s ££££ that is key for the squad members to join and then perform, not a nice locker room, not a nice stadium etc. These things help but never as much as wedge does.

It took us about 5 seasons. Which isn't bad considering that particular era was probably the strongest ever in Premier League history. Woolwich during their best years, United under Ferguson, Chelsea with Mourinho, Liverpool winning the CL etc.

Wolves are competing, however that's because they do have money, a great philosophy in terms of how they play, great recruitment and a weaker league.

I’m not happy with the squad but your rant didn’t add up.

Dembele didn’t need replacing in 2017

And THIS squad doesn’t have two back up strikers in it.
I’d be happier with Llorente and Janssen here than I am now though.

You want to go back to the title challenge season let’s do that.
Lloris, Dele, Eriksen, Kane, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Rose and Walker all at world class levels

Dier, Lamela, Davies, Wanyama, Trippier and Son all providing top 4 quality levels regularly.

Who failed to instill a winning mentality into them and show true tactical flexibility and rotation?

You want to compare then to now, you’re talking fucking shit
Can't be talking shit if there fans who agree with me, go back to your deluded imaginary world.

Back
Top Bottom