Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't know too much about Campos. Is the general feeling that he would be a good appointment?

That is the overall consensus. He has unearthed talent such as Kylian Mbappe, Nicolas Pepe, James Rodriguez, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy, Anthony Martial.

Here is a decent article on him.

I'd love to know that we had a DOF in that was looking two or three windows ahead regardless of manager.

That is the overall consensus. He has unearthed talent such as Kylian Mbappe, Nicolas Pepe, James Rodriguez, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy, Anthony Martial.

I'd love to know that we had a DOF in that was looking two or three windows ahead regardless of manager.
I also think that having someone with authority know where the uncut gems are will fit in well with the general objective of bolstering the squad while suppressing the net expenditure.

When the current Trump Boris Mourinho End of days nightmare passes (and it will). I look forward to the Naggelsmann/Campos axsis sweeping us to a ECL EPL double. This will happen.

Gotta say, I'm not at all impressed by that list. There is not a lot of 'unearthing' involved there and beyond that the more talented of the bunch he was in 'intimate' contact with such as Fabinho (at RM) and Silva (high profile Portuguese player and the main man on their U21 team before his Monaco xfer). Mbappe was a known quantity (already at Clairfontaine and watched by many teams) as was James (Mendes). Martial was from the Lyon academy and not an unknown quantity. Mendy showed his offensive threat under Bielsa at Marseille before leaving in a firesale and I'm not too impressed with anyway.

So, really, is this guy any good? And does his reach or focus go beyond Lusophone players or those he is in direct contact with? His time at RM was during Jose's time so it's not like he got the job on his own merits. And beyond that his time at Monaco coincided with the Mendes shady dealings. Lille is just about his first job where he can be evaluated on his own ability...and even that is not absolute when you consider Lille's history, both recent and past, of talent ID and nurturing.

Absolutely. Perhaps he is the guy to do this. But the previous links to Jose are worrying as it feels like the typical manager power grab situation and we lose manager and DOF at the same time thus setting us back, again.

Sounds exactly the man we need.

I also think that having someone with authority know where the uncut gems are will fit in well with the general objective of bolstering the squad while suppressing the net expenditure.

That’s why I’m convinced we will return to the model and it’s why Levy has always been a fan of it. Buy low, sell high, player trade to make money. All clubs do it of course but we have made a success of it and it has partially got us to where we are.

Gotta say, I'm not at all impressed by that list. There is not a lot of 'unearthing' involved there and beyond that the more talented of the bunch he was in 'intimate' contact with such as Fabinho (at RM) and Silva (high profile Portuguese player and the main man on their U21 team before his Monaco xfer). Mbappe was a known quantity (already at Clairfontaine and watched by many teams) as was James (Mendes). Martial was from the Lyon academy and not an unknown quantity. Mendy showed his offensive threat under Bielsa at Marseille before leaving in a firesale and I'm not too impressed with anyway.

So, really, is this guy any good? And does his reach or focus go beyond Lusophone players or those he is in direct contact with? His time at RM was during Jose's time so it's not like he got the job on his own merits. And beyond that his time at Monaco coincided with the Mendes shady dealings. Lille is just about his first job where he can be evaluated on his own ability...and even that is not absolute when you consider Lille's history, both recent and past, of talent ID and nurturing.

Absolutely. Perhaps he is the guy to do this. But the previous links to Jose are worrying as it feels like the typical manager power grab situation and we lose manager and DOF at the same time thus setting us back, again.

Seems to me you’re just focussing on any negative you can find. Transfers are only part of a director of football’s job. They organise everything else behind the scenes. That’s what Baldini did anyway as a technical director. He helped with the youth set up, recruiting staff etc.

This article sets out what they do pretty well:

Back
Top Bottom