The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit of a debate playing out at the moment concerning football players it seems. Corona has revealed some stuff and other things were easily guessable. Some players are nice guys, some are complete prats. I guess for every Walker you have a Rashford who gave a big donation to NHS hospitals. IMHO this is a good chance for a bit of a reset about the corporate monstrosity that is modern football, but I don't know if the appetite for real change will be there if (when?) things go back to 'normal'. I suspect things will be different following this, just not sure how.

Our boss lives on a £250m yacht and sold a painting for £70m. Worth over £4billion. Interest payment on the stadium £20m a year.

If push really comes to shove theI Think we will be ok

This point is really important. I'm not sure we will be OK because he doesn't seem to give a shit about us but when you see his wealth and the way he lives you can see why a player would think 'why should I bail him out. Especially when his already grabbing government money.

Last edited:
Last time I checked the staff weren't sacked tho. They were Furloughed.

You're right. Thanks for refining my comment....

Which is so that they do not have to fire them.

I'm not saying that the players should not chip in and that the directors should not chip in more (they have already taken 20% pay cuts). But we haven't fired our staff. The ground staff/those that cannot work from home are furloughed and the rest are working from home.

I maintain that there is no just cause for ANYONE to be furloughed at this filthy rich level of football. This hastily cobbled together support scheme isn't an endless pot of free money.... It's there to save businesses from going to the wall; not to save blue-chip businesses a few quid in difficult times.

Last edited:
The issue, as far as I can see, is not that they are willing to take a cut but that they are not willing to take a cut to allow the owner to keep the cash.
Imagine you are Mark Noble, you take a 30%pay cut hoping that your 30k is going to pay for the non playing staff. The dildo brothers and Edmonton’s finest think otherwise and just keep it in their pocket. Would you be happy?
I used a Spammer because their owners are the type of bounders who would play such a trick.

The issue, as far as I can see, is not that they are willing to take a cut but that they are not willing to take a cut to allow the owner to keep the cash.
Imagine you are Mark Noble, you take a 30%pay cut hoping that your 30k is going to pay for the non playing staff. The dildo brothers and Edmonton’s finest think otherwise and just keep it in their pocket. Would you be happy?
I used a Spammer because their owners are the type of bounders who would play such a trick.
This I can agree with. The paycuts have to be earmarked to ensure that regular staff can be kept on and the business kept running. It shouldn't go into the owners/investors coffers.

This point is really important. I'm not sure we will be OK because he doesn't seem to give a shit about us but when you see his wealth and the way he lives you can see why a player would think 'why should I bail him out. Especially when his already grabbing government money.

Think it’s exactly why players don’t like the idea of giving up their wages when they see the wealth their (non tax paying) owners have.

Whilst Levy does earn money from the club, Lewis does not. As I understand it he through ENIC bought the club and is a shareholder. To buy the shares he paid Alan Sugar and anyone else who had shares at the time. He since that time has neither put any money into the club or taken it out in the form of dividends. I do not know if he has a residence in this Country but doubt he is a tax payer. He no doubt has investments throughout the world that are taking a hit and the value of his Tottenham shares will have taken a hit although there is no price, the amount of buyers able to buy the club will have diminished. I do not expect Lewis to put any money into the club unless to protect his investment any more than MC's owners or Philip Green who owns top shop (taking Government money) and also has Yachts. You are right he probably does not give a shit about us and I have never thought he did. It is unrealistic to expect Lewis to do anything.
Levy is taking a 20% cut and should do more if the players do. He does care about the club and it remains to be seen what else he will do.

Possibly add the “players not doing their bit” pay cuts etc once this is over and life gets back to some kind of normality and contracts are negotiated and wages taken into the equation guaranteed what’s happened will leave a bad taste.

Why doesn't Lewis and levy do their bit. If I was one of the players is expect them to lead by example given they earn fuck loads

Whilst Levy does earn money from the club, Lewis does not. As I understand it he through ENIC bought the club and is a shareholder. To buy the shares he paid Alan Sugar and anyone else who had shares at the time. He since that time has neither put any money into the club or taken it out in the form of dividends. I do not know if he has a residence in this Country but doubt he is a tax payer. He no doubt has investments throughout the world that are taking a hit and the value of his Tottenham shares will have taken a hit although there is no price, the amount of buyers able to buy the club will have diminished. I do not expect Lewis to put any money into the club unless to protect his investment any more than MC's owners or Philip Green who owns top shop (taking Government money) and also has Yachts. You are right he probably does not give a shit about us and I have never thought he did. It is unrealistic to expect Lewis to do anything.
Levy is taking a 20% cut and should do more if the players do. He does care about the club and it remains to be seen what else he will do.

Oh I do feel sorry him losing all this millions when he has billions. Fuck me that's more money then any one person needs.

Why doesn't Lewis and levy do their bit. If I was one of the players is expect them to lead by example given they earn fuck loads

Lewis takes no money out of Spurs - never has.

Levy has currently taken a 20% pay hit - I suspect that might go up as he negotiates with players over their pay cut, just so that they see him taking as much or bigger cut than they do. Just my guess though

Oh I do feel sorry him losing all this millions when he has billions. Fuck me that's more money then any one person needs.
I was not suggesting he should receive any sympathy but that his investment in Tottenham was something he did many years ago and has not done anything about it. Do not know his other investments but doubt he is thinking about Spurs any more than any of his other assets. It is a financial investment and not an emotional attachment as I have never heard he actually has ever been a supporter. He is not in the Country and probably does not read our media comments against the club.

Unfortunately, I feel this is all just an excuse for politicians to gain popularity by pointing the finger at footballers. A lot of the public, especially those that don't like football froth at the mouth talking about their wages.

Their wages are simply a consequence of rising costs to fans. Tickets, subscriptions, merchandise, advertising income. To reduce the wages, they all need to come down. Otherwise, as others have alluded to, where would the money go? Would you be happy for Levy and Lewis to treble their income while the playing staff, you know, the ones that attract the money, don't?

And I'm genuinely interested to know why so many people hate high paid footballers but seem to have no issues whatsoever with other high paid public figures who do less for their money.

Apropos of nothing, Joe Lewis and all other cunt billionaire tax exiles could start by actually contributing something to the greater good of the countries that made them.

Fucking leeches

Apropos of nothing, Joe Lewis and all other cunt billionaire tax exiles could start by actually contributing something to the greater good of the countries that made them.

Fucking leeches
I see sugar giving his opinion that the board aren't to blame and the players are.

Why do so many seem so intent on defending billionaires as they attack millionaire's.

72 million we would lose. That's a transfer budget for the summer and the low paid staff his mugged off won't effect it.

Fed up with people having a go at players whilst Lewis and Co get off. If I was a player no way would I give money to Lewis and kevy, they come across about as warm as a fridge.

I see sugar giving his opinion that the board aren't to blame and the players are.

Why do so many seem so intent on defending billionaires as they attack millionaire's.

72 million we would lose. That's a transfer budget for the summer and the low paid staff his mugged off won't effect it.

Fed up with people having a go at players whilst Lewis and Co get off. If I was a player no way would I give money to Lewis and kevy, they come across about as warm as a fridge.

Footballers do get a lot of grief. Nice easy target for the press.

So I understand why they are loath to go into their pockets when they see the owners not doing the same thing.

Footballers are easy targets. I’m not sure why their riches are questionable compared to say actors and musicians.

I’ve never understood the idea that they are role models. It’s like wanting to be like a lottery winner. There’s no substance there.

Think I’ve had my fill of Levy and Enic though. Just bored of their nonsense.

Footballers are easy targets. I’m not sure why their riches are questionable compared to say actors and musicians.

I’ve never understood the idea that they are role models. It’s like wanting to be like a lottery winner. There’s no substance there.

Think I’ve had my fill of Levy and Enic though. Just bored of their nonsense.

Yeah it's a weird one isn't it? Footballers get a lot of stick as they're in the public eye and it's much talked about, but the same is true of actors and musicians, who don't seem to generate the same level of opprobrium. If I had a guess as to why that is, then it's because virtually everyone likes some form of music or film, whereas football is a minority interest, albeit a significant one.

I think they're all overpaid, FWIW.

Kids aside - I always thought if you saw a footballer as a role model you've probably got some issues.

"We face the danger of losing clubs and leagues as finances collapse."

Also

Back
Top Bottom