Kim Min-Jae

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like Dele, Bale...... etc.

The N'brothers didn't pan out. Doesn't mean it's a shit approach.

Other punts:

Mahrez: French 2nd Division.
Dele: League 1
Kante: Relegated from Ligue 1 having only just been promoted.
A.Robinson: Relegated to champo
H.McGiuire: Relegated to champo
Trippier: Relegated to champo.
Dier: 4m from Portugal.
Modrich: Came from Zagreb

Both Harry & Poch's CL teams weren't built on established talent.

Meanwhile, Ndombele, Soldado, Lamela etc. was us wearing big-boy pants in the trf market.... Not a great track record.

One may say that £15m is a lot for a player from the Chinese league... Maybe that's actually a testament to how much ability the club believe the lad has got?
All the players you mention there were playing at a level streets above the Chinese league though and most were much younger than Kim too.
I firmly believe that this signing is 90% financially driven, and if he happens to be any way decent at football then happy days. I’d be shocked if he isn’t tossed on the “Yedlin, Bongani Khumalo” scrap heap.
Would love to be proved wrong obviously, but I don’t see it.

Of course they were.

Were they experience players, 'guaranteed' to improve us? ....Nope.
Bale was arguably the best player in the EPL for 2 seasons in Lilywhite.
You're having a laugh.... Or are you suggesting that RM paid a world record fee hoping that GB would 'come good'.l
Like I've said, maybe that's a testament to the kind of talent we think the players has.....
Modric was a coup. Highly rated. We spent a lot of cash at that time for him because of his rep.
Bale had a difficult start to his career with us, and it's well reported he was either going off on loan or being sold but an injury to possibly BAE meant he got a start and the rest is history.
Regardless, neither were punts as they were very high rated.

All the players you mention there were playing at a level streets above the Chinese league though and most were much younger than Kim too.

Mahrez > Leicester 22y/o
Kante > Leicester 24y/o
McGuire > Leicester 24y/o
Modric > Spurs 22y/o
Trippier > Spurs 24y/o
Robertson > Liverpool 23y/o

Hardly "most" being "much" younger....

My point isn't that China is on par with these leagues; only that the fact that he comes without top league experience doesn't mean he's doomed to failure...

I firmly believe that this signing is 90% financially driven, and if he happens to be any way decent at football then happy days.

Oh, come on.... I thought the earlier "shirt sales" line was banter... You're actually serious?

We already have SKs #1 superstar.... You don't think 15m is a fair whack to punt on selling a few extra shirts? ...Particularly in this climate?

I’d be shocked if he isn’t tossed on the “Yedlin, Bongani Khumalo” scrap heap. Would love to be proved wrong obviously, but I don’t see it.

You and a few others seem determined not to see it....

My mind remains open and hopefull.

Last edited:
Game on!

Kimchi? (a bit like how you'd pronouce 'KMJ')

Note: Had some Kimchi noodles last night and they were extra spicy! Tears, snot, the works. Kind of how I want our opponents to look.

Kimanche? (Fierce brave etc.)

Kim Kong? (Monster)

Eric D and Da'Kim? (fuck knows, could be our future CBs)

Kimmeh! (liberlow! nnngg Kimmeh!)

That's all I've got.
Jelly as in KY!

Modric was a coup. Highly rated. We spent a lot of cash at that time for him because of his rep.

But half of your case here was that we were spending too much to bring KMJ in..... Again, maybe the club think he's worth the risk.... Much like spending a fair whack on a player from Zagreb with no top flight experience was.

Maybe KMJ proves to be a "coup" too.

Bale had a difficult start to his career with us, and it's well reported he was either going off on loan or being sold but an injury to possibly BAE meant he got a start and the rest is history.

That somewhat contradicts your "he was on his way out by the time he came good" line.

Both were gambles taken on prospects(*)... For the Nth time, maybe the club think he is a worthy gamble.

(*not the "experienced", finished articles you've spoken of).

Regardless; your talk of "why not Kondogbia" suggests that even a gamble equivalent to Modric wouldn't appease your desires anyway.... You're openly hankering for a big money signing of a player who is on the radar of the money-ball clubs like City.

Based on how the current market makes you over pay for anyone you want.

But still, unless you have a decent view of how good he is then that's just a figure plucked out of the sky... Doubling our alleged bid.

If you believe the rumours.... His club are holding out for another 2 or 3 million.... Which would mean £18m.

I'm going to jump in here and just say that Bale was a highly rated youngster (18) when he signed for Spurs.
However he was still a punt. Any young player is a punt (especially one playing in the Champo), you never know how or even if they are going to develop.

But still, unless you have a decent view of how good he is then that's just a figure plucked out of the sky... Doubling our alleged bid.

If you believe the rumours.... His club are holding out for another 2 or 3 million.... Which would mean £18m.

I never saw that number. I just read they were holding out for “big money”. So I figured we’d have to go up more than a couple million.

If that’s the case then we should do it. How many times have we dragged ass over a few million and then shit the bed?

But half of your case here was that we were spending too much to bring KMJ in..... Again, maybe the club think he's worth the risk.... Much like spending a fair whack on a player from Zagreb with no top flight experience was.

Maybe KMJ proves to be a "coup" too.

That somewhat contradicts your "he was on his way out by the time he came good" line.

Both were gambles taken on prospects(*)... For the Nth time, maybe the club think he is a worthy gamble.

(*not the "experienced", finished articles you've spoken of).

Regardless; your talk of "why not Kondogbia" suggests that even a gamble equivalent to Modric wouldn't appease your desires anyway.... You're openly hankering for a big money signing of a player who is on the radar of the money-ball clubs like City.
I didn't say bale was out by the time he came good whatever that means.
You think modric had no top level experience when we bought him? Really?!
Bale for 5mill or whatever when he was one of the best young players in the country is not a punt of the level 15mill for a player that's only performed well in China.
I'm not 'hankering' for a big money signing - I've suggested why not use the 15 mill towards a more established, experienced and higher quality player like koulibaly, who we've been linked to. If it's both then great but you know as well as I do that wont happen.
It's luck at the end of the day, and we've had our hands burnt at either end if the scale.

Put it this way, I am no more perturbed by the idea of this deal than I was us spending 30m on Sessengon under the romantic notion that Poch was some kind of FB-whisperer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom