Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winks was excellent against Leicester. He is not on the pitch to make Hollywood passes and dribbles.

His role is 2 fold

1. Cut out the passing lanes from oppositions midfield to attack - Winks has been excellent at this and reads the game brilliantly.

2. Receive the ball in congested areas and play the safe pass to relieve pressure and make room for our attackers. Winks has been an excellent calming influence on games. Slowing the opposition press and taking the pressure off.
Can't imagine why Leicester shot 21 times at our goal with a player so excellent in cut the passing lane from oppositions midfield to attack.

Winks was excellent against Leicester. He is not on the pitch to make Hollywood passes and dribbles.

His role is 2 fold

1. Cut out the passing lanes from oppositions midfield to attack - Winks has been excellent at this and reads the game brilliantly.

2. Receive the ball in congested areas and play the safe pass to relieve pressure and make room for our attackers. Winks has been an excellent calming influence on games. Slowing the opposition press and taking the pressure off.
Thing is with Winks. If he gets it right and start dominating yes. If he is a one show poney and come and go BIG NO

Seriously getting fed up with seeing his name in our starting line up .

Yea... fuck him. How in the world has he kept his spot if we have lost 4 games in a row now!
After consecutive losses we absolutely have to make changes to the side, right!??!?

Oh wait. It is 3 consecutive wins. With score of 8:2.
So calm your effing t*ts, it's not like we are letting prime Modric/Dembele/Wanyama letting to rot on the bench, are we?!?

Choke on it. We have ambitions perhaps more than you like

Just honest and open question - what do you suggest we should do during next 2 transfer windows?

I think if not everyone than 95% people in this thread are in agreement that as things stand now, Winks should not be our starting player (at least in 2 ppl midfield).
Also everyone agree that we should improve our midfield options - buy someone better than Winks who could push him down in the pecking order.

But what are you rooting / arguing for? That we should sell all the players who we will not see as future stars / nailed down stating players?
If that, what would be the alternative? That we'd buy bunch of new players with one go and hoping that they would all blend in seemlessly? Or should we then just put all of our hopes to those "higher quality starting players" and expect them to carry the load? And what if another Ndombele situation happens?

The way I see it - we need massive improvement in midfield.
We currently have -Winks, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Gedson, Skipp

From what we have seen right now I would divide them to following groups
- most likely long time starters (Lo Celso);
- unknown situation that could turn out to be good or not (Ndombele)
- squad players / fill gap solutions (Winks, Sissoko)
- untested prospective players (Skipp, Gedson)

What do you suggest? That we'd do cleancut in here and... ship on everyone except tested quality (even with a a stretch adding Ndombele here whose situation and future we don't know much) in Lo Celso and Ndombele + prospects in Skipp and Gedson? But what if young guns don't repay the trust and we cannot count on them and new players don't fit in either?

I find it way more reasonable and sustainable to acknowledge that Winks and Sissoko are players who we can use for filling the gap. We should bring in the player/players to improve the quality, then test them in the squad, hopefully get some more info about prospects. THEN when we have some track record of new players + prospects - move on those that are surplus to requirements (and if say Lo Celso and Ndombele has proven them as long term quality + new signings have fitted in well + prospects seem promising, I have no issue moving Winks and/or Sisosko on); keep best players + have some players that are fine with rotational role.

Building strong squad is not a task that can be done in space of weeks. Nor should we gamble too much with one go.

The simple way to rate whether or not Winks is good enough for us.......

Would he get get in a single one of the 6 teams currently above us?
No

Would he get in at least 3 of the teams behind us?
Unlikely.

He is upgradeable.
He's not alone in that, but he should not be a mainstay for us.

Last edited:
The simple way to rate whether or not Winks is good enough for us.......

Would he get get in a single one of the 6 teams currently above us?
No

Would he get in at least 3 of the teams behind us?
Unlikely.

He is upgradeable.
He's not alone in that, but he should not be a mainstay for us.

He is upgradable. Who has argued with that?
He should not be nailed down starter, now the question is - would he make it to 25 men squad for any of the teams higher than us - to that I think answer is yes.

He is upgradable. Who has argued with that?
He should not be nailed down starter, now the question is - would he make it to 25 men squad for any of the teams higher than us - to that I think answer is yes.
He seems to be starting every game for us at the moment.

That's my point. Would he start for any of them?
I'd say he get minutes here and there, not 90 every game.

That may be true, but unlike the 2nd half of last season we have a number of players on the bench who could have been playing instead, so we can't pretend it's under duress.

There have been plenty of players who've started games for top clubs that probably wouldn't start for others. It's about squad depth and what a player can bring to the team.

Winks has been brilliant against many top clubs and he's been average against many top clubs - it's about finding the right balance in midfield to allow him to flourish at what he does best and that's retain the ball.

If you can’t support Winks , I really question how much you can support Spurs.

Some of the mocking criticism he gets is bang out of order.

Oh and anyone catch that magnificent through ball to Son against Leicester ?
I'm a huge Winks fan however, you can't question if people support Spurs because they criticise him.

Is that the same for every player?

He wouldn't get in either Mancs, LFC or Chelsea 1st teams. One good cross now and again like Aurier ain't good enough. He'd make the bench there tho. In spurs first 11 coz there's no one better. Spurs need another M Dembele and fast !!

Back
Top Bottom