Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He seems to be starting every game for us at the moment.

That's my point. Would he start for any of them?
I'd say he get minutes here and there, not 90 every game.

for fuuuuc saaaakeee....
What is your point?!?

Yes. He is currently starting.
There unfortunately are no better options right now.
No. It is not normal. And he can be upgraded upon. And he most likely will be upgraded upon.

It is an issue that we should address as soon as we can make signings.
We all agree on this, what are you trying to say or prove??

The fact that he currently is starting but should be improved upon does not mean that he would not offer us any value at all in the future.

He wouldn't get in either Mancs, LFC or Chelsea 1st teams. One good cross now and again like Aurier ain't good enough.

This is a new low for this thread.... A #8 who's being fudged in as a #6 should have better crossing ability???

He'd make the bench there tho.

Where???

In spurs first 11 coz there's no one better. Spurs need another M Dembele and fast !!

Jose could choose Ndombele, Gedson or Skipp instead but isn't.....

I'm a huge Winks fan however, you can't question if people support Spurs because they criticise him.

Is that the same for every player?

I said support, have a scroll up at some of the somewhat vicious needles criticism of him.

If we don’t appreciate everything Winks is, do we really deserve Harry Kane’s loyalty ?

Last edited:
I said support, have a scroll up at some of the somewhat vicious needles criticism of him.

If we don’t appreciate everything Winks is do we really deserve Harry Kane’s loyalty ?
what does he do then? he doesn't score enough. assist enough break up play enough doesnt pass forward enough. for me he's overrated by some not underrated

There have been plenty of players who've started games for top clubs that probably wouldn't start for others. It's about squad depth and what a player can bring to the team.

Winks has been brilliant against many top clubs and he's been average against many top clubs - it's about finding the right balance in midfield to allow him to flourish at what he does best and that's retain the ball.
Brilliant?
If you think passing back to your nearest team mate, usually behind you, 47 times in a match makes you brilliant then there's no further debate between us.

for fuuuuc saaaakeee....
What is your point?!?

Yes. He is currently starting.
There unfortunately are no better options right now.
No. It is not normal. And he can be upgraded upon. And he most likely will be upgraded upon.

It is an issue that we should address as soon as we can make signings.
We all agree on this, what are you trying to say or prove??

The fact that he currently is starting but should be improved upon does not mean that he would not offer us any value at all in the future.
I'd try Ndombele, Gedson, Sissoko without Winks. Anything really other than having to endure watching Winks receive a pass, look up, stride 3 steps forward, put the brakes on, turn around and then pass all the way back to Toby.
Don't make out that's not what he does. That;s almost all he does.

what does he do then? he doesn't score enough. assist enough break up play enough doesnt pass forward enough. for me he's overrated by some not underrated

Do you really expect every player who comes through our academy to be Andrea Pirlo? He’s not a generational talent? We all know this.

However, he’s more than shown that in the right system he can flourish.

Brilliant?
If you think passing back to your nearest team mate, usually behind you, 47 times in a match makes you brilliant then there's no further debate between us.

Ah, the old "I'll see what I wanna see".

21 of his 34 passes against Leicester were forward with the same amount of key passes as Kane, Son and Lo Celso and only Lucas Moura created more goalscoring chances than him.

He was definitely more adventurous against Leicester, hence his 74% pass completion rate, which is probably his worst of the season.

And that was just at the weekend.

He was one of our best players when we beat City 2-0 at the beginning of the year. He was also one of our best players when we last beat Liverpool (4-1), and Real Madrid (3-1) and the draw away at the Bernebeau (1-1) not to forget his performance against Chelsea last season (3-1).

I'd try Ndombele, Gedson, Sissoko without Winks. Anything really other than having to endure watching Winks receive a pass, look up, stride 3 steps forward, put the brakes on, turn around and then pass all the way back to Toby.
Don't make out that's not what he does. That;s almost all he does.

What on earth have you seen in Gedson to think he deserves to start ahead of Winks ?!???

Never mind Ndombele, geezer can’t see out 90 minutes of football for 200k a week.

In an era of mercenaries, I’ll always enjoy having a Tottenham boy play for Tottenham.

Ah, the old "I'll see what I wanna see".

21 of his 34 passes against Leicester were forward with the same amount of key passes as Kane, Son and Lo Celso and only Lucas Moura created more goalscoring chances than him.

He was definitely more adventurous against Leicester, hence his 74% pass completion rate, which is probably his worst of the season.

And that was just at the weekend.

He was one of our best players when we beat City 2-0 at the beginning of the year. He was also one of our best players when we last beat Liverpool (4-1), and Real Madrid (3-1) and the draw away at the Bernebeau (1-1) not to forget his performance against Chelsea last season (3-1).
Where do you get your stats, my friend?

If we don’t appreciate everything Winks is, do we really deserve Harry Kane’s loyalty ?

Its standard football fan hypocrisy.

On one hand. Show us loyalty!!

On the other. Fuck off you're shit!!

Never changes.

I’m still a Winks supporter. He used to be one of our most attacking players, always pushing FORWARD with the ball and at least attempting an incisive through pass. He’s now a backwards or lateral passer and I’m not sure why. Jose?

Is he the same and I’ve just been reading this forum too much?
:harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom