Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im personally very pleased with this.

Disciplined
Good age
Experienced in PL (and Bundesliga)
Never gets injured (although now he's here presumably that will change and will end up with his own seat with matching plaque in the Darren Anderton Physio Lounge)
Leadership qualities (skipper at Soton)
Most ball wins in CM last year in the league according to the stattos
A "fuck you" mentality

Im all over this signing.

Less happy about KWP going given our lack of options at full back (remember Barca - terrible mistake then MOTM performance... i thought that was his "birth game" and would end up playing a lot more) but wish him all the best at Soton where he will put in a shift for them 100%.
Hell, we'll know soon enough when we see the team with him in it, but I think we might have gotten quite fortunate with this one.

>CDM an area of dire need
>nobody bigger than us came sniffing around, despite the fact I think he'd be at least good rotation for a top top side
>his contract was down to one year
>KWP was wanted by the Saints
>a much needed injection of leadership in the middle of the park

I might be wrong, he might be crap. If he's good then the stars have aligned on this.

Yes, impression here is that P-E H is happy to take the red as it's 'for the team'.

However, that notwithstanding welcome aboard and get ready to be lauded when you take out Aubameyang but then get shit for being worse than Sissoko as your passing is worse than Steffan Freund at his peak.

You'll love us when we sell you to Livorno.

Yes, impression here is that P-E H is happy to take the red as it's 'for the team'.

However, that notwithstanding welcome aboard and get ready to be lauded when you take out Aubameyang but then get shit for being worse than Sissoko as your passing is worse than Steffan Freund at his peak.

You'll love us when we sell you to Livorno.
You know it's bound to happen. People hate Sissoko despite how he works extremely hard, fulfills his role as a limited ball winner or ball carrier because he isn't a complete player.

Let's see how these true fans (TM) react when PEH misplaces his first pass

You know it's bound to happen. People hate Sissoko despite how he works extremely hard, fulfills his role as a limited ball winner or ball carrier because he isn't a complete player.

No-one hates Sissoko as far as I can tell, it’s just that he’s not particularly good defensively despite working hard - he runs around but rarely spots danger before it happens. On the ball, everyone including himself knows he’s limited.

Indeed.

However, he does have a chance as we have no one that can do what we are about to ask of him even though we will throw shit his way as soon as he hasn't decimated the opposing midfield, away fans and away stadium on day 1. Maybe, just maybe, he's what we need.

Fingers crossed, etc.

No-one hates Sissoko as far as I can tell, it’s just that he’s not particularly good defensively despite working hard - he runs around but rarely spots danger before it happens. On the ball, everyone including himself knows he’s limited.
PEH has some strengths and some weaknesses, just like Sissoko. He is not disciplined off the ball and is relatively wasteful, so let's see how much we support him once fotball restarts!

Couldn't give two fucks what he has tattooed on his arms ( as long as not offensive). People must have turned a blind eye to Toby etc.. this is the year 2020 who gives a fuck! All I care about is his performance on the pitch. Good luck to the lad!

Hell, we'll know soon enough when we see the team with him in it, but I think we might have gotten quite fortunate with this one.

>CDM an area of dire need
>nobody bigger than us came sniffing around, despite the fact I think he'd be at least good rotation for a top top side
>his contract was down to one year
>KWP was wanted by the Saints
>a much needed injection of leadership in the middle of the park

I might be wrong, he might be crap. If he's good then the stars have aligned on this.

Stars have aligned because not one decent team wanted him? Lol

Got a feeling he’s going to end up a cracking signing. One that gets crowds up for it, gets a bit of battle back amongst it all. One that can give a bit of a war cry and get those around him not taking their careers as seriously a bit of an elbow in the ribs or a bit of a showing up attitude wise.

He seems a real goer and I don’t know why but I can honestly see him doing well in a role that goes under the radar but is crucial to those around him. In Hojbjerg and Lo Celso we definitely have a bit of fire in the middle now, the thing that would get me very excited is to see Ndombele become everything he can be with a bit of what he’ll have around him now and hopefully reinvigorate then likes of Dele who really has lost that spark that made him the animal he was) Welcome Pierre-Emile, proper get stuck into them boy!

Last edited:

Some interesting points in the video above.

Those fragments with Dier being out of position are a bit riddiculous, as it happens to every player every game few times and depends on plenty of other factors than just bad awareness, but I agree in general.
I think it's going to be a great signing, maybe it's not a world class player, but mind that his price would be at least doubled if he had different contract situation (and didn't openly say he wants to leave). He's exactly what we need, on position that we have 0 players and which is crucial to most of reasonable tactics. And we still have money to sort out other positions.
And he's gonna have place in starting 11 instead of Sissoko, well that is double win.

Apparently “he only passes sideways and backwards” according to some Saints fan and some twit on here. Yet...

Sky Sports' Adam Smith:

In total, 37 per cent of Hojbjerg's passes were directed upfield this season, which is something Spurs have struggled to achieve for some time - particularly since another Dane, Christian Eriksen, left the club.

Hojbjerg attempted 289 passes into the final third - a total surpassed by only 10 other players this season. Those risky passes reduce his accuracy, but Spurs needed an injection of forward momentum in their midfield.

Last edited:

Some interesting points in the video above.

Good video, but I disagree with it´s conclusion.

Hojbjerg will be the physical presence in our midfield, disrupting the opposition and making us much more proactive when defending, yes, but I think he will be part of a double pivot - not the anchor in a traditional 4-3-3. So far, even when we played a 4-3-3, we quickly returned to the 4-2-3-1 as soon as we went ahead (Jose moved Sissoko alongside Winks, leaving Lo Celso as a 10; we sat back with two lines of four and killed teams on the counter).

The idea of having Hojbjerg deep, with Ndombele and Lo Celso ahead of him is very romantic, I know. But I fully expect us to use the 4-2-3-1 as a basic formation. Against teams expected to sit deep, the 4-2-3-1 will probably see a Hojbjerg-Lo Celso pivot, with four attacking players ahead of them. Against top 6 teams, I think we´ll play Hojbjerg alongside another steady and hard working midfielder (probably Winks), with Lo Celso as a 10.

Anyway, we´ll see. COYS

Last edited:
I see the guy as being a solid and dependable midfielder. Someone who does nothing too fancy but by being reliable he will allow other players to be a bit more adventurous. The expression "always puts a shift in" perfectly describes how I think we'll be assessing him next season.
I'm sure Lo Celso and possibly Ndombele will only benefit from having him on the pitch mopping things up and setting up attacks.
I don't expect great things from him but I do anticipate never having to worry about how he will perform on match day.
Money extremely well spent IMHO

We make a signing in a position that we need (that isn't another youth prospect, French gamble, or winger) and there are still people having a moan.

I shouldn't be surprised but here we are like clockwork. How much of it is trolling and how much is just a coping mechanism I'll never know. He hasn't even kicked a ball yet and is already getting slagged off.

He comes across like an intelligent cunt and if Jose wants him then that is good enough for me.

We make a signing in a position that we need (that isn't another youth prospect, French gamble, or winger) and there are still people having a moan.

I shouldn't be surprised but here we are like clockwork. How much of it is trolling and how much is just a coping mechanism I'll never know. He hasn't even kicked a ball yet and is already getting slagged off.

He comes across like an intelligent cunt and if Jose wants him then that is good enough for me.
Also, Everton made him an offer. He could have considered it. We could have lost him, or he could have forced our hand into paying him more money. Who knows? This fantastic piece of business by Levy and the club was very much helped by Hojbjerg himself, who made absolutely clear for everybody that he wanted to join Tottenham. He did everything in his power to play for us, and now it's all done: early in the window, for KWP and 3m. I think Tottenham fans should appreciate his effort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom