Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ega1qiFWAAEZxcN

This is massive news, signing a player that supports another club? I’ve never heard anything like it.
Every other club in the premier league only signs players that are avid fans of the club.
All woolwich’s players have supported Woolwich all their lives, Aubameyang, lacazette, Pepe, all huge Woolwich fans. It’s so important who any new signings support..:mourfacepalm:
Berkamp was a Spurs supporter, Justin Edinburgh was a gooner......... professionals put all that aside.

I remember Eriksen having less impact on the pitch than that beachball at Anfield. Literally.

Then come on here and read about how he ran the midfield and could walk into Barca.:kanehand:

He was surrounded by players not on his level, remember? I think that's why he doesn't start at Inter, no point playing him until they sign Messi.

How would another DM fit our current squad in your view?
I think I have a better grasp on what kind of tactics Mourinho will employ.

It will be a hybrid 3 and 1 defence. Double pivot and 3 attackers in support of Kane.

The double pivot will have PEH and either Sissoko/Winks. From what I have seen of PEH, he is a traditional midfielder. Mourinho wants us to be in shape to be difficult to break down. But he wants to press the higher up the pitch with Moura, Lamela, Son etc. PEH will also step forward to press the ball higher up. If he gets bypassed it leaves Winks/Sissoko as the only central midfielder. These 2 players can't play by themselves as a pure DM.
Hence why I think we will need a proper DM. It would give us the option of going 442, possibly with a 442 diamond if the DM can hold by himself.

I think we could see Mourinho play something like this with a DM. It would allow PEH to go press the ball higher and effectively turn it into a 4141.

Lloris
Doherty Toby Dier Davies
PEH DM
Lucas GLC Son
Kane

The only issue I have with playing 1 DM is that with a hybrid back 3 and 1. The DM will invariably have to cover the RB who is pushed up, leaving a big hole in midfield. The positioning of PEH will be really important. I don't think he will press the high up the pitch all the time. But he will have to pick and choose when to press. The Ipswich game was a good example of him pressing the ball which led to a goal. So I am very intrigued to see PEH play and whether he has the intelligence of when to press, to hold and cover Doherty most likely.

I think I have a better grasp on what kind of tactics Mourinho will employ.

It will be a hybrid 3 and 1 defence. Double pivot and 3 attackers in support of Kane.

The double pivot will have PEH and either Sissoko/Winks. From what I have seen of PEH, he is a traditional midfielder. Mourinho wants us to be in shape to be difficult to break down. But he wants to press the higher up the pitch with Moura, Lamela, Son etc. PEH will also step forward to press the ball higher up. If he gets bypassed it leaves Winks/Sissoko as the only central midfielder. These 2 players can't play by themselves as a pure DM.
Hence why I think we will need a proper DM. It would give us the option of going 442, possibly with a 442 diamond if the DM can hold by himself.

I think we could see Mourinho play something like this with a DM. It would allow PEH to go press the ball higher and effectively turn it into a 4141.

Lloris
Doherty Toby Dier Davies
PEH DM
Lucas GLC Son
Kane

The only issue I have with playing 1 DM is that with a hybrid back 3 and 1. The DM will invariably have to cover the RB who is pushed up, leaving a big hole in midfield. The positioning of PEH will be really important. I don't think he will press the high up the pitch all the time. But he will have to pick and choose when to press. The Ipswich game was a good example of him pressing the ball which led to a goal. So I am very intrigued to see PEH play and whether he has the intelligence of when to press, to hold and cover Doherty most likely.
Its not something i'm proud of ,but...
That was a like a foreign language to me.

I'm still struggling to understand what a false number 9 is!!

Back
Top Bottom