Tottenham v Everton - Sunday September 13, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think its because it feels exactly the same as the start of the last season, starting slow with zero intensity and the players strolling around feeling sorry for themselves rather than doing something about it.
It definitely has the feel of the end of Poch's era, which is why I'm giving Mourinho 10 games before he is gone.
He looks out of ideas, the excuses he is making about players not having a pre-season sounds desperate.

I don’t think what he said about preseason is desperate, it’s true. This was a bizarre preseason and now he’s admitted we had players who both had corona and who had to isolate due to proximity to those players. Kane missed two weeks of training because of quarantine and didn’t play one minute of our preseason.

But every team has had these issues. Liverpool were wobbly and made mistakes against Leeds, but they still played with a big intensity to win. Our players showed no appetite for the game in the second half. That‘s really concerning and is a problem we’ve had for a long time, of only playing for half the game.

No. The team got what they deserved. We, the fans, deserve a lot more.
Do we? its our choice to support this shit show and our choice to have a voice regards performances and what they serve up but as per we will all moan and groan about every game then go again in a few days time all the time paying our money, buying the merchandise following the team etc etc.......so it’s up to us really.

Surely, this is just poor managing then?

Whereas we had Aurier who DID have a pre-season.

Im not backing his decision to play Doherty BUT...he did mention he had players in quarantine due to proximity to player with Covid. So N'dombele had Covid so maybe Aurier couldn't play? I honestly don't know. This team is a serious mess

Edit- Noticed Aurier was on the bench. Nevermind. Just a piss poor managerial decision and performance from supposed professionals

Last edited:
Sorry no way else to put it but that was piss poor. By all of them. Dele should squared it in the first half.

my main concern (beyond PEH and Doherty looking out of touch) was that it seemed we didn’t have any game plan. Just eleven players on the field with no cohesion. I don’t think a new striker will change anything

I actually didn’t think we played that badly. We just didn’t have that bit of edge in that second half to up our level. I‘m more optimistic than most and will look to us improving as we play more. We’ve got a full season ahead of us, one game doesn’t make our season.

I was expecting Everton with Ancelotti to be compact and making it difficult for us to play but you could also clearly see the quality in their new signings. They did good business and you can see it in their movements in midfield. It looks pretty effortless for some of those new signings. This is where we will always find ourselves, when we look to pay 10-15m for a player, you get 10-15m worth of player most of the time. Sometimes, every once in a while you get lucky. Wages i’m sure played a big part in missing out on better players.

This isn't about just getting a striker in, this club has problems with policy and recruitment.
When you get the chief scout insisting that we have a good team with nice chaps and we only need 1/2 in, you know that the club is in denial from the top which is staggering.
It is only the first game but barely much has changed since last year, team is flat, lacking in sharpness and devoid of ideas, we have to ask wtf is going on at our club.

I'm going to stray from the narrative a bit here but I thought Winks and Hoj looked OK first half. Not brilliant but tidy, seemed they had some understanding, who went forward, who stayed back. Winks in particular was involved a lot, again, tidy, as I say. There's a lot to be said for tidy.

Dele was heaps more useful than Moura was first half too. Busy.

So on comes Sissoko (why I'll never know), a player whose skillset wouldn't look out of place at Orient. And then off goes Winks. Our midfield, which hadn't been brilliant, but "tidy-ish"up till then, fell to pieces.

Everton were OK, organised, tidy (that word again). That's all they needed to be in the second 45 to be honest.

Last edited:
I think I'm thinking like this because today is James McFadden Day here in Scotland.
Or is it because most would consider us the Motherwell of English football?
I honestly don't know.

Sorry no way else to put it but that was piss poor. By all of them. Dele should squared it in the first half.

my main concern (beyond PEH and Doherty looking out of touch) was that it seemed we didn’t have any game plan. Just eleven players on the field with no cohesion. I don’t think a new striker will change anything
That’s exactly how Man Utd fans said it was when Mourinho was in charge. :/

Eh0FnoxXcAMoDxc

Laughed but it’s terrible.
Lucas was really bad today
Lucas wasnt bad today. He was anonymous. Which in my opinion is worse than being bad as at least then you are trying to affect the game. I have no idea how he played the full 90.

Every manager has his favourites but the favouritism has been taken up a level here. Rose was right. There are players playing who don't deserve to play, but will still get in.

Back
Top Bottom