Tottenham v Everton - Sunday September 13, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

20200913-174711.jpg

I just can't get any enthusiasm going for this game, or for the start of the season in general. I know that's because I can't attend; televised games, especially home games, just leave me a bit "meh".
However, once the whistle goes, I'll be cheering us on / shouting obscenities at VAR and ref / wandering why Jose hasn't made a substitution / crying into my vodka & tonic - usual matchday experience.

Last edited:
FFS, 3 of the guys in the Everton line up weren't even at the club a week ago.

And you have this guy talking about lack of pre-season or preparation like we were the only club not to have one.

What I hope to see:

Lloris
Doherty-Sanchez-Toby-Reguilon
PEH-Ndombele
Bergwijn-GLC-Son
Kane
What I expect we will see:

Lloris
Doherty-Dier-Toby-Davies
Alli-PEH-Winks
Moura-Kane-Son

Really crazy of you to expect that we will be bench Skriniar, Bale and Thiago in the first gameweek, but, eh, that's your opinion.

That was a real tactical clusterfuck from Mourinho. From the get go it was deeply flawed. You're moaning about the lack of fitness of Doherty but you play him instead of Aurier. You play Doherty, a player used to playing as WB in a back 5 in a back 4, ask him to push up but play him with two slow, cumbersome CB's.

Whichever midfield pairing picked for Mourinho's CM2 was going to struggle, because....you know....WE DON'T HAVE ANY CM'S WHO ARE GOOD IN CM2's - none of them are voracious, dynamic, busy cunting footballers. And Everton played a 433/CM3. But that was probably the best "2" combo of the options available in terms of match fitness/energy/footballness etc

Where Mourinho's initial selections had just resulted in a festival of insipid meh, at least it had been largely safe, his half time tactical sub turned meh into a fucking nightmeh (fuck off I'm trying). Alli had bumbled away plenty but what that game didn't need was swapping him out for an even more technically atrocious footballer and putting the equally inept and even more pea brained Moura into the pivotal ACM remit that suits him much less than a wider one. Instead of improving one position it weakened two, considerably.

The second tactical sub/change absolutely killed us. They had just scored, we needed more control and ability to move the ball, not less, but what does Mourinho do, he swaps Bergwijn for Winks and moves Sissoko to the even more pivotal position of CM. It absolutely fucking killed us, just when we needed some direction and control and ability to move the ball we actually lost the ability to even receive it. At one point (66 minutes) I even saw Toby looking for a pass out of defence and Sissoko just turned his back and ambled away from him.

Neither Alli or Winks were great, but both were better than the solutions Mourinho replaced them with.

As I said back end of last season, we are now living with the omnipresent Hobson's choice of the tedious slog of Mourinho getting it tactically ok, or the fucking abomination of when he doesn't.

The argument of the end ("trophies") justifying the means just doesn't cut it for me - unless it was the league and even then a) it would be very reluctantly and b) it's not going to fucking happen - I'd rather watch us try to play good proactive, aggressive football every week and win fuck all, than have to watch us play negative reactive shite for 38 weeks and have one great day out at Wembley.

The horror of this situation is there are no easy fixes. Even a simple change of head coach isn't going to solve everything.

We need a root and branch overhaul. A new - proper - DOF, a new strategy and some direction from the top as to what we want to be and how wee are going to be it, and it needs to be an ethos fans and players (and fucking punters and sponsors) can buy into, new recruitment people and methods, and obviously new players that fit that that philosophy.

It should have been done when Poch went (shouldn't have been ditched before). Now we've installed the 15m a year bionic Pullis and promoted head of whippet breeding to DOF it seems even less likely to happen any time soon.

Rumours are GLC is injured. His persistent groin problems which we're trying to sort rather than making him play through.
Dodgy ITK suggesting he'll miss the first few weeks of the season.
I hope it's not true.
With GLC out and Mourinho probably not trusting Ndombele, we may have very little creativity in midfield.

Jesus Christ, it's going to be the pointing Rhino isn't it?

Just fucking shoot me now.

Genuine question for fans.

Will we ever experience another high like Moura's winner in Amsterdam?

I'm 24 and I'm fairly certain that I won't experience one for the remainder of my life. I expect to live until I'm 95.

How can Everton sign James, Doucoure, Allan and you only buy Hojbjerg, Doherty and Hart? And still blame Mourinho? Tottenham in transfer market is ridiculous. In my team in Portugal, Benfica, we already buy Jan Vertonghen, Everton Cebolinha and Pedrinho (both Brazilian internationals), Waldschmidt (German international), Darwin Núñez (the most promising striker from Uruguay) and almost Ruben Semedo. And we have less money and a much worse league.

Back
Top Bottom