Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brighton have been the better side tonight. If you say they havn't then you are the first person to say this and I'm sat watching the game currently with 3 Chav fans, all of whom openly saying they have been shit. All of whom are very disappointed at how they have played.

Great they can put that in the better team column and see how that works out at the end of the season.

tenor.gif

John Cross wrote that story based off what Ben Davies said, just paper bollocks.

This is the problem with Mourinho, he brings 20 years of baggage. The media and pundits are just waiting for him to fail so they can quickly regurgitate the usual Mourinho cliches and start fawning over the new hotness. Just like when we won the last NLD, they were cringing because they wanted to keep licking Arteta’s bunghole.

Mourinho may or may not succeed here but the media world want him to fail, it’s much easier and more entertaining for them when he does.

Did you see him talking about pressing in the Amazon Doc? I would love to see if he works diligently on that in practice or if it was just a dressing room instruction.

I made that mistake when coaching basketball with 6th graders. They were struggling to guard man-to-man and I was trying to coach 2-3 zone during halftime. Some kids got it, but most were confused as fuck. I didn't work on that prior in practice.

I am not saying Jose hasn't gone over his pressing tactics in practice, but the way they edited it made it look like the players were like "ok, good to know".

So what's my point? He was calling his front line lazy for not pressing effectively, but how much work has he actually put into pressing? Cause for the most part, we are not a pressing outfit. We don't press like SH, City, or Pool. For me it's not lazy, it's shit instruction.
For an effective press you need to do hold a high line - the press is done so as a team, it cannot be individual.

If Jose is instructing us to play in a low block and cede territory as it would appear, any suggestion of a press is both irrelevant and useless.

Great they can put that in the better team column and see how that works out at the end of the season.
They have inferior players to us, you have to judge the quality of performance and position relative to the players at their disposal.

Both managers are exceeding the talent they have. Jose isn’t......

For an effective press you need to do hold a high line - the press is done so as a team, it cannot be individual.

If Jose is instructing us to play in a low block and cede territory as it would appear, any suggestion of a press is both irrelevant and useless.

Agreed. Watching the game yesterday, you would have Dele, Kane, and lucas running at their men with the ball, but it would be a single push. It wasn't a cohesive push forward like he asks the team to do in the documentary. It was "lazy" in the sense that the team wasn't moving together in levels of press.

But even with only Dele, Kane, or Lucas pushing up, there were huge gaps behind them. Winks would push up on the receiving man, but all that man had to do was one touch to his midfield partner (3v2) and Winks and PEH were bypassed. It was a complete shitshow in terms of how to set-up the team. There was no clear style of play being deployed. They were all on different pages.

But what do we hear from Mou? Laziness. COVID didn't let me have my team. I still have injuries.

Again, teams lesser than us, with minimal investment are playing with an identity. He has had 10 months to imprint one on this squad and we look so far from any identity it is insane.

They have inferior players to us, you have to judge the quality of performance and position relative to the players at their disposal.

I have been back and forth with Igula about this subject A LOT. He doesn't get the argument. Table means everything. He is blocked for reasons other than this subject, but it could be worthwhile just ignoring him now.

Exactly when has Maureen adopted the high press? I was amazed in the amazon doc he kept going on about pressing but in the majority of games under him we sat deep and conceded possession. Especially after restart I didn’t see any press at all. Is he talking bollocks? I’d love to know if he has actually worked on the pressing tactics in trading or even discussed with the team in the prematch tactics. I have not seen a pressing game employed by us under JM not one we would recognise used by the top teams. Deflection again.

Exactly when has Maureen adopted the high press? I was amazed in the amazon doc he kept going on about pressing but in the majority of games under him we sat deep and conceded possession. Especially after restart I didn’t see any press at all. Is he talking bollocks? I’d love to know if he has actually worked on the pressing tactics in trading or even discussed with the team in the prematch tactics. I have not seen a pressing game employed by us under JM not one we would recognise used by the top teams. Deflection again.
Spot on I hope this drivel is only for the camera because I'm not sure from what we have heard and seen on the pitch he is even making sense.

Do you think we are good?

Compared to our last 5 years? No

Compared to the PL in general? Yes

I think we are somewhere between 5-10th with 5/6 much more likely than 9/10.

I think there are 2 great teams, 2 top 4 teams then probably 5 teams- us, Woolwich, Leicester, Wolves, Everton in a clump.

After that a bunch of teams in a group with WBA and Fulham in a bottom 2.

Take a real look at this wonderful piece of journalism and tell me that there isn't a industry of bad press simply waiting for things to go wrong between Jose and Spurs.

That's why I was criticizing The Athletic and Alasdair Gold. We have enough people against us. Let's criticize Jose for his mistakes - yes -, but not for something that is said about him for 20 years every time he loses a game.

Jose doesn't like talented players. Jose doesn't know how to attack. Jose fights with every player. All three stories in one day - after one defeat.

We need to be stronger to cope with this.

Last edited:
Take a real look at this wonderful piece of journalism and tell me that there isn't a industry of bad press simply waiting for things to go wrong between Jose and Spurs.

That's why I was criticizing The Athletic's article and Alasdair Gold's words about Jose's use of Ndombele.

We have enough people against us. Let's criticize Jose for his mistakes - yes -, but not for something that is said about him for 20 years.

Jose doesn't like talented players. Jose doesn't know how to attack. Jose fights with every player. All three stories in one day.

It's the same old story.

If the same story keeps appearing, doesn't that mean something?

It's like if I keep testing my BP and it keeps coming back 145/90, then I have high blood pressure.

People can claim vendetta's against Spurs all they want, but these conspiracy theories are weak. Just like the conspiracy that Man U gets all the penalties or that "of course Liverpool gets the penalty in the CL".

Jose gets his name out there because of what he does. His team hasn't played well since he got here. Sure, wins came and we got 6th from 14th, but the performances were rather dull. Jose has repeatedly left some talented players out of his squad because of his preferences (Pogba, KDB, Ndombele). People are going to pick on that especially when the quality of play is lacking. Jose does publically drag certain players through the mud and critics let the rest of the world hear about it.

When Poch was at the end, the press started to write stories that he looked/sounded miserable. It was the truth. The dude looked like shit, sounded like shit, and had a piss poor demeanor.

Being a top manager at a big club is going to get you headlines no matter what. It is Jose's choice to act out and he has to deal with the press jumping on it. It's because he is a walking headline.

I don't know about that.

I looked at Potter before and he isn't doing all that much better than Hughton before him and at Swansea he didn't do all that much better than the guys before or after him if I remember right. Brighton were close to relegation all last year not sure he is the great manager we should be pinning for.

Bielsa's record (or lack of record) speaks for itself.

Back
Top Bottom