Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's finding his feet in our team. It's all new. Got to give him time. At the moment, yes, Aurier looks better, and he's better because he's got competition. That's brilliant. Nearly every player now has a challenger. We've needed that forever and here it is.
Aurier has played this season no differently than he has in his previous 2.

I notice alot more "Auriers played well today" comments in the OMTs this season.

I have no doubt that's due to the fact he's now being compared to our shiny new full back and people realising Aurier wasn't actually that bad after all.

Because I don't think he's been any better than last season. It's just our form is better and we are winning. When we are winning, we praise our players more.

I said the same about Ndombele last year. His fitness, weight etc never ever got brought up when he was playing games and we were winning or getting good results (Villa, City, Norwich etc)

But things get magnified when we lose or are playing poorly.

Jesus, give Doherty some time.

We’ve only had a handful of games, and it wasn’t too long ago Son and Ndombele were showing us we can’t be judgemental so early!

It’s like we never learn anything from past experiences on here, everyone has their fingers on the cunt off Button whenever a new player comes in...!

The only way Matt would be as good for us as he was at Wolves, is if Mou played the same system ie 3-5-2, where Matt can just attack at will and not have to worry too much about defending cause he'd have 3 CBs + 1 DM covering his ass. But not gonna happen, at least not week in week out, and especially not if we don't sign another CB. I don't see Jose playing Sanch - Dier - Toby together that often without sufficient cover on the bench, which we don't have rite now.

So Doh will have to pull his finger out and learn how to defend, and do so in a 442 formation. Otherwise we'll concede loads and most will be coming from his side

I didn't mean Aurier was better than last season Aurier (although now I think about it, he looks more alert). I meant, between him and Doherty, he looks the better of the two at the moment. He knows he's not going to get every game so he can't switch off like he sometimes did last season if he wants to keep fighting for a first team place.

I didn't mean Aurier was better than last season Aurier (although now I think about it, he looks more alert). I meant, between him and Doherty, he looks the better of the two at the moment. He knows he's not going to get every game so he can't switch off like he sometimes did last season if he wants to keep fighting for a first team place.
I think that fits neatly into a narrative. He's simply (right now) the better of the two of them. To my eyes, Aurier has always been the better defensively and I've always maintained that Aurier dominates the right more than Doherty has ever done, that means his contributions are more even spread up and down his side of the pitch (attacking and defensively), whereas Doherty's presence is shown predominantly in an attacking sense. At Wolves when he was pushed on, he remained up the pitch).

The case for RB/LB rotation, however, is valid but that's down to how dynamic that position can be (depends on how the coaches use them). But it's one of the sympathy's I've had with Davies, who had to play almost every game due to Rose's injuries. This means he has to manage his output each game as he can't empty himself on the pitch in two consecutive games on the trot let alone 10. He can now afford to do this as there will be an opportunity to recover as he will be rotated (same on the right). I bought up Davies because you saw him being able to push high up (more attacking than Doherty was last night).

So IMO it has nothing to do with the competition making them sharper but more so the condition the player is in, the more rested the player is the more he can contribute in his game and if he knows that there's the likelihood of being rotated (I don't know if they know they will be or not) he can also afford to empty himself rather than keep something back for the following game.

Last edited:
Aurier has looked just as bad as he did last year. Against weaker opposition he reduced the number of awful mistakes but that is likely due to the opposition rather than him improving. Against Chelsea he returned to his normal form of rash tackles and crossing into the first defender.

Doherty, even with his struggles to adapt to a RB from RWB, has clearly been the better player.

I think Jose´s got a serious choice to make in relation to the RB position for Sunday. It´s not just the penalties Doherty gave away (none of them were penalties in my opinion and Aurier is not exactly an example of preventing penalties anyway). But in terms of physical conditions and speed, I got a feeling Doherty is behind Aurier at the moment.

Of course, last season Aurier was poor against Rashford and United - in the 1-1 after the break he had a good game, but made two individual mistakes that were almost two goals for them. Difficult situation.

I think Jose´s got a serious choice to make in relation to the RB position for Sunday. It´s not just the penalties Doherty gave away (none of them were penalties in my opinion and Aurier is not exactly an example of preventing penalties anyway). But in terms of physical conditions and speed, I got a feeling Doherty is behind Aurier at the moment.

Of course, last season Aurier was poor against Rashford and United - in the 1-1 after the break he had a good game, but made two individual mistakes that were almost two goals for them. Difficult situation.

Also set up our goal in that game.

Think Aurier would probably be best off starting. Especially considering how slow our defence tends to be and Utd have the quickest front 3 in the league.

Jesus, give Doherty some time.

We’ve only had a handful of games, and it wasn’t too long ago Son and Ndombele were showing us we can’t be judgemental so early!

It’s like we never learn anything from past experiences on here, everyone has their fingers on the cunt off Button whenever a new player comes in...!
tenor.png

Also set up our goal in that game.

Think Aurier would probably be best off starting. Especially considering how slow our defence tends to be and Utd have the quickest front 3 in the league.
Yep, important duel won (second ball after Shaw´s header).

My point is that he still made mistakes that could have ended in goals for United. And in the first game (1-2 at Old Trafford) he was simply poor - though he was not the only one.

As I said, difficult choice.

I'm not totally sold on Doherty yet, anyone else have an opinion on him?

I think he was a good signing at the price we got him. He's not a top RB, but he's an effective player and I think he'll improve in the RB position the more he plays there. Think he'll create a lot of goalscoring situations with the driving inside runs he makes, and they will be more effective situations as Bergwijn/Bale/Kane/GLC learn how best to respond to those runs. His defending vs Djenepo in the Southampton game was concerning. Admittedly early in the season, and we'll see how he improves, but he'd concern me playing at RB against Mane, Zaha, Pulisic, Rashford types when they run directly at him. He's good in the air (both boxes) and often makes good interceptions.

Happy enough to have two imperfect right backs, each effective in their own way.

Yep, important duel won (second ball after Shaw´s header).

My point is that he still made mistakes that could have ended in goals for United. And in the first game (1-2 at Old Trafford) he was simply poor - though he was not the only one.

As I said, difficult choice.
I like Tanganga at right back for this one. Reguilon on the other side, Japhet to give us balance and counter the threat of Rashford.

Giving away pens was less of an issue with Aurier last year , he cost us more goals with poor positional play and shoddy clearances

I don't personally agree that his criticism was for non football related reasons but if you believe that then fair enough
And giving up chasing Serge Gnabry because we were 2-5 down at home in the CL. Still haven't forgiven him for that.

Decent signing at that price. He's unlucky not to have a couple of goal involvements so far and very unlucky to have given away 2 penalties (two horrible decisions). Will improve as he settles in. And he's absolutely chuffed to be at Spurs. Just hoping those penalty decisions don't impact his confidence.

Defensively poor for Ireland tonight, but provides a unique spark going forward. Definitely have Aurier ahead of him based on his form this year.

Aurier has looked just as bad as he did last year. Against weaker opposition he reduced the number of awful mistakes but that is likely due to the opposition rather than him improving. Against Chelsea he returned to his normal form of rash tackles and crossing into the first defender.

Doherty, even with his struggles to adapt to a RB from RWB, has clearly been the better player.
Totally agree. Doherty played only few games with us and did it on Aurier's level, give him time to adapt and he'll prove everyone that he's far superior player. Much smarter, which is major asset for me.

Back
Top Bottom