Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Actually, you could well be right there.
However, our defence did its job, i. e kept a clean sheet and still people are blaming Davies for our woeful attacking play.
He's a defender that did his job well.
Davies did have a poor game going forward but he did well the game before, overall he’s nothing spectacular but he’s usually reliable.

Actually, you could well be right there.
However, our defence did its job, i. e kept a clean sheet and still people are blaming Davies for our woeful attacking play.

Burnley has 3 goals in 5 games, I think we have to consider that they did a lot of the heavy lifting to keep the clean sheet. Add on to that that Kane was the one who stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity and, while I think we can give them some praise, I am not sure how much individual praise should be handed out for that performance.

Yes the result was good and what we wanted, but when evaluating players I think it is fair to look beyond just the end result and see how we got there. It is great that Kane and Son were once again able to produce some magic and score a goal to avoid the draw, but that shouldn't absolve Davies from wasting a lot of chances with poor passes and crosses. It also shouldn't be ignored the huge amount of space that Burnley gave him and how it allowed them to better defend our more dangerous players knowing that the left side wasn't a threat at all with him there.

It may have worked yesterday but whether it will going forward is still up in the air and whether it worked because Davies was there instead of Reguilon is still highly doubtful.

Our forwards created nothing bar the goal which came from a set piece.
But only our defending players, who did their jobs and kept a clean sheet, get the shit.

That is what annoys me.

If davis had delivered more accurate crosses and decent forward passes we would've created more chances. He was good defensively, but he was part of reason why we lacked creativity. Reguilon would made huge difference in offense if we had him in starting lineup instead.

I like Davis as a defender, and He's been excellent defensively, but i can understand some fans frustrations

Last edited:
What I like about Davis is his attitude. Say what you want about his quality, but you can't deny how committed he is when he's playing - he's giving it 100% every game. I compare him to Lamela just on the defensive end.

Burnley has 3 goals in 5 games, I think we have to consider that they did a lot of the heavy lifting to keep the clean sheet. Add on to that that Kane was the one who stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity and, while I think we can give them some praise, I am not sure how much individual praise should be handed out for that performance.

Yes the result was good and what we wanted, but when evaluating players I think it is fair to look beyond just the end result and see how we got there. It is great that Kane and Son were once again able to produce some magic and score a goal to avoid the draw, but that shouldn't absolve Davies from wasting a lot of chances with poor passes and crosses. It also shouldn't be ignored the huge amount of space that Burnley gave him and how it allowed them to better defend our more dangerous players knowing that the left side wasn't a threat at all with him there.

It may have worked yesterday but whether it will going forward is still up in the air and whether it worked because Davies was there instead of Reguilon is still highly doubtful.
Again, fair points.
BUT, somehow, it's fair to absolve all our attacking players for being absolute shite in the final third.

If davis had delivered more accurate crosses and decent forward passes we would've created more chances. He was good defensively, but he was part of reason why we lacked creativity. Reguilon would made huge difference in offense if we had him in starting lineup instead.

I like Davis as a defender, and He's been excellent defensively, but i can understand some fans frustrations
That's my point.
Davies isn't a creative midfielder. He's not a playmaker, he's not even a winger.

Maybe we would of been weaker in defence if Reggie starter, I don't know but I'd bet there aren't many teams in La Liga that play like Burnley and maybe he would of been exposed.
All hypotheticals of course but the main point is that we kept a clean sheet and STILL people are slagging off Davies, Dier.

What I like about Davis

angry bobs burgers GIF

I think a lot of the problem with our attack was more to do with the line-up rather than the individual players.

We had nothing going through the midfield other than Ndombele and Moura is so useless that it made it tough to get the ball from the back 4 up to Son and Kane. Without Reguilon there to make runs and passes, it made the problem that much worse.

The make up of the team was all wrong and limited what we were able to do. Jose set up expecting a bland game and the line-up he put out there helped ensure that would happen.

You think nearly all our players are crap and Mourinho doesn't know what he's doing .

You're either on a wind up trolling the shit out of this place or more likely you're clueless and don't understand thevfirst thing about the game.

I think a lot of the problem with our attack was more to do with the line-up rather than the individual players.

We had nothing going through the midfield other than Ndombele and Moura is so useless that it made it tough to get the ball from the back 4 up to Son and Kane. Without Reguilon there to make runs and passes, it made the problem that much worse.

The make up of the team was all wrong and limited what we were able to do. Jose set up expecting a bland game and the line-up he put out there helped ensure that would happen.
Reading this, people would think we lost !

That's my point.
Davies isn't a creative midfielder. He's not a playmaker, he's not even a winger.

Maybe we would of been weaker in defence if Reggie starter, I don't know but I'd bet there aren't many teams in La Liga that play like Burnley and maybe he would of been exposed.
All hypotheticals of course but the main point is that we kept a clean sheet and STILL people are slagging off Davies, Dier.
LB is not purely a defensive position though. Against a team like Burnley, it’s probably 50% attack. And Davies did it poorly. Talking about fullbacks like they’re center backs is inappropriate.

LB is not purely a defensive position though. Against a team like Burnley, it’s probably 50% attack. And Davies did it poorly. Talking about fullbacks like they’re center backs is inappropriate.

.....And yet the primary 50%???

If as a defender you're not suited to coping with the oppo then we're left exposed.

For those calling for him to never be seen in the shirt again, what happens when Reggie has a 'poor' game?

'Well then we want Cirkin!'

Ok cool. What happens when Cirkin has a 'poor' game?

'Then we need to sign someone better!'

Who the hell would sign for us when they're one 'poor' game from being banished by fickle, ignorant 'fans'?!
Difference is - Davies has had poor games continuously for 3 years and was utter shit on Monday again.

Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Sanchez the more they played, the worse we became over the last 3 years.

We are not getting anywhere as long as players of this calibre keep starting games for us.

Failure to upgrade them in time has already cost CL football this season.

Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Sanchez the more they played, the worse we became over the last 3 years.

We are not getting anywhere as long as players of this calibre keep starting games for us.

Failure to upgrade them in time has already cost CL football this season.
The 4 knights of Doom who literally took us back 5 years

That's my point.

To be fair Dier did his best to not keep the clean sheet with how he let their player have a freeheader from close.

I know some really like to pile in on Davies and Dier when the oopo have an attack or two but Burnley were very well organised. Nothing much was going to come from crosses against two banks of four. The chances they had came from set pieces or balls quickly beyond our MF. To believe that the struggle on Monday was down to Davies’ poor crossing is absurd: the teams that beat Burnley comfortably rely on individual moments as much as we did. If it’s Kane or Son who score, for some reason it’s Davies’ fault that he can’t cross; but if De Bruyne threads a ball through to Aguero, it’s not Mendy’s fault they don’t score more?

I don’t mind calling out players who have a bad game, but the delight in comparing our players (negatively) to other teams is bizarre.

We (the whole team) didn’t play as well as we could. The whole team was static and not making runs forward as well as we can - Davies has no one to pass to, so has to pass the ball sideways / backwards. The oppo box / third is wedged with 16-18 players at times so there is no space. Sonny had no space. Kane had no space. Tanguy had no space, managed to find some and then refused to cross.

However, it’s Davies, Dier and Moussa’s fault. Yeh.

(oh, and for the sake of balance, Doherty looks slow, out of position and struggling for fitness...I hope he comes good, tho).

I'm not his biggest fan I do think he's a far better cb (especially in a back 3 which I thought we would of gone with vs burnley) than a left back but I understand why he played monday.If we had of attacked as well as we had been in previous games davies at lb wouldn't of been an issue. I thought doherty was far poorer personally. The tactics paid off we got the 3 points that were hard fought and I don't understand why he's getting so much stick. We know he's no reguilon but there's a time for him to play and it's definitely in games like monday imo.

To be fair, we limped home against a side that hasn't won all season and couldn't score in a brothel.

Any challenge for the top spots needs a skill, tactics and luck though.
To be fair

We did a professional performance and won 1-0.
I know it was like watching Woolwich under Graham but ....

And we headed one off the line or they would have scored.

If you watch it again , we defended from the front, our CBs held off two of the most physical forwards including one dirty bastard who regularly elbows people.

So many positives, no collapse in 92nd minute,
BE HAPPY THAT WE ARE IN THE RACE, SOD THE NUMBER OF GOALS

Back
Top Bottom