Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wow lost possession 11 times in a half. Didn’t realise he was that bad. That must be close to some kind of record!
That is because he tried passes that were more difficult. Winks gets criticised for passes back to the back 4 which keeps his stats up but that is no good if you play further forward. Ndombele stated that the reason for his better performances this season is more consistent playing time. Soldado had the same problem, it is very difficult for players without much playing time to perform. That is why I support Mourinho playing different teams in the PL and Europa and I hope he does not abandon it.

Always value your opinion fella, I feel we see the same game.

But anyone calling out a player (singular) for Thursday is bonkers, especially if that player was playing better than all bar one of those hooked (I thought both Dele and Vinícius were on par). He was no worse than Kane, Son, Lucas, Lo Celso and Lamela.

The argument can be extended further in that do you think it would be easier to play well when partnered with players that you are familiar with playing, rather than strangers where you don't know their runs and they yours?

If we really, really need to single out a player (I don't think we should) then it's only fair to start on the worst player on the pitch, BALE.
we need about 30 of those performances from Bale before it becomes a discussion on here. Please. don't commit suicide by critiquing him, I beg.

A huge wake up call is desperately needed and Jose is too 'close to home' for Dele to listen to him, it's just like a father and son with the sibling nodding his head and saying "yeah, yeah" but not listening at all. He needs a loan move at minimum if only to see what life is like in another club and under a new regime. I must admit though that I am tending to agree with some of the views on here that the guy has flattered to deceive and there's nothing left in the tank anymore. That being the case then a January sale would be advisable.

The argument can be extended further in that do you think it would be easier to play well when partnered with players that you are familiar with playing, rather than strangers where you don't know their runs and they yours?

If we really, really need to single out a player (I don't think we should) then it's only fair to start on the worst player on the pitch, BALE.
I agree completely and is an argument against the mindless rotation we saw yesterday.

Establish your best 11 and, whenever possible, play them (especially the defence). Injuries will force you to make changes but that's what the coach's job is all about. Throwing together 11 strangers and expecting them to play as a team is like using a pin to choose the team.

Playing people out of the position they've played in their whole career (Davies at CB anyone?) - compounds the madness.

He seems to be the sort of boy who thinks his talent is enough, like a pretty girl believes her looks are all the qualifications she needs.

Take that out and they have very little left to cope with life.

Very sad, but I have no sympathy with wasters,.Dele is not mature enough to deal with his changed circumstances, and cannot be given endless chances.

This world is littered with talented derelicts.

we need about 30 of those performances from Bale before it becomes a discussion on here. Please. don't commit suicide by critiquing him, I beg.
I wouldn't waste the computer ink, the worst performance in a Spurs shirt by any player this season was Bale last night. We've all seen players off form but all of them still try hard whilst struggling to play. Bale just didn't bother, I think he tracked back once all game, it wasn't that he was off form he was the only player that didn't bother (or was it he didn't run because he couldn't??). That's all the critique I'll bother doing. Always said it's a win/win with him, if he's done then we give him back, if he's still got it then it's obvious we reap that in performances and merchandise whilst he's here.

But why we have wank over a 31yr old whilst not supporting a 24yr old is totally bizarre to me. Maybe Jose's man management only consists of chucking a player to the wolves and if they don't respond that's it. Maybe Jose is just a one-trick pony when it comes to how to man-mange? Is he incapable of putting an arm around a player, finding the right or different buttons to push? On the evidence, I'd say yeah, he is.

I agree completely and is an argument against the mindless rotation we saw yesterday.

Establish your best 11 and, whenever possible, play them (especially the defence). Injuries will force you to make changes but that's what the coach's job is all about. Throwing together 11 strangers and expecting them to play as a team is like using a pin to choose the team.

Playing people out of the position they've played in their whole career (Davies at CB anyone?) - compounds the madness.
I kind of get what you're saying Mike but I still think it's possible to rotate this squad, it's huge and has proven talent.

The ones that will struggle to integrate will always be the new players, especially those from non-PL and I'd argue that those players will benefit more than say Dele would playing in the established team line-up. So, for example, Vinícius would speed up his integration if playing with Kane (who could be a 10 or a two up top option), Son, Lucas.

However, I still have doubts over how we play, by that I mean that word again "identity". What is it? Are we a counter-attacking side? There have been 45mins where we look to have put together great passages of play, repeated patterns to our play but with the exception of Newcastle game I've not seen it for a 90min period. So, this adds another layer of complexity to bedding in new players and have them understand their roles. I mean are we asking Vinícius to drop deep like Kane, and spray balls out wide to runners like Son & Lucas (or overlapping FB's)? If so there were NO runs yesterday from Bergwijn and Bale, so what was expected from him?

Thursday, whilst not a problem on it's own (it's a group game in a group which we should top) showed a bigger issue in that I'm not convinced we are a team that is structured with a blueprint to how we play. It possibly shows that we are reliant on the brilliance of Kane, Son & Ndombele who figure out something.

I wouldn't waste the computer ink, the worst performance in a Spurs shirt by any player this season was Bale last night. We've all seen players off form but all of them still try hard whilst struggling to play. Bale just didn't bother, I think he tracked back once all game, it wasn't that he was off form he was the only player that didn't bother (or was it he didn't run because he couldn't??). That's all the critique I'll bother doing. Always said it's a win/win with him, if he's done then we give him back, if he's still got it then it's obvious we reap that in performances and merchandise whilst he's here.

But why we have wank over a 31yr old whilst not supporting a 24yr old is totally bizarre to me. Maybe Jose's man management only consists of chucking a player to the wolves and if they don't respond that's it. Maybe Jose is just a one-trick pony when it comes to how to man-mange? Is he incapable of putting an arm around a player, finding the right or different buttons to push? On the evidence, I'd say yeah, he is.
Your defence of Dele is admirable but slightly misplaced. The lad walked on that pitch last night knowing he was under intense scrutiny regarding his playing future at the club. Unwelcome pressure perhaps but this is where the 'tough get going'. I would so like to be sitting here today typing how the team were shit apart from Alli, the one player who stood out from the rest for at least having a go and putting some effort in, but I can't.
No-one is singling him out for this defeat but what I am saying is that he was perfectly aware of his career predicament prior to the kick off and yet he did nothing to in any way show he was responding to the criticism he has recently faced.
He literally walked into the last chance saloon last night and showed no signs of realising he was there. It's a shame but fact. Let's not compare him to anyone else but simple assess his performance based on the 'behind the scenes' examination he knew he was under. With that solely in mind he definitely under achieved.
I sense his boat has now sailed as far as Mourinho is concerned.

Probably because he knows if he makes the tiniest mistake he will be hauled off even if he isn't the worst player on the pitch
So he works under the theory of "If I don't do anything then I can't make a mistake and be substituted" :thumbdown:

He was not singled out last night at half time, four subs closely followed by a fifth clearly indicated that the manager felt a drastic attitude and tactical change were urgently required. Nobody takes any credit whatsoever for that embarassing performance last night but Dele was under the microscope more than anyone else and he knew it and did nothing.

So he works under the theory of "If I don't do anything then I can't make a mistake and be substituted" :thumbdown:

He was not singled out last night at half time, four subs closely followed by a fifth clearly indicated that the manager felt a drastic attitude and tactical change were urgently required. Nobody takes any credit whatsoever for that embarassing performance last night but Dele was under the microscope more than anyone else and he knew it and did nothing.
He has been singled out this season though hasn't he or he takes son and kane off against Everton because they were worse then alli in that first 45 mins

You give the whole team not just alli a little bit more then 45 mins to get their act together before you make ridiculous wholesale changes that didn't do any better

Davies has played a lot at CB over his career and looked better at CB last week then he has at any point at LB for us.

Also, outside of one play, that had little to do with him being played at CB, he was effective yesterday as well.

Rotation will always be a part of the game but I think what we should do/have done is have a core of players for the Europa League so that the rotation has less of an effective on the play.

Maybe some will say it is hindsight but I think the squad yesterday had too many guys trying to find their game/fitness. Bale, Alli, Bergwijn all are players clearly not at their peak right now and it showed. having them all out their trying to get things right made the team very disjointed.

Your defence of Dele is admirable but slightly misplaced. The lad walked on that pitch last night knowing he was under intense scrutiny regarding his playing future at the club. Unwelcome pressure perhaps but this is where the 'tough get going'. I would so like to be sitting here today typing how the team were shit apart from Alli, the one player who stood out from the rest for at least having a go and putting some effort in, but I can't.
No-one is singling him out for this defeat but what I am saying is that he was perfectly aware of his career predicament prior to the kick off and yet he did nothing to in any way show he was responding to the criticism he has recently faced.
He literally walked into the last chance saloon last night and showed no signs of realising he was there. It's a shame but fact. Let's not compare him to anyone else but simple assess his performance based on the 'behind the scenes' examination he knew he was under. With that solely in mind he definitely under achieved.
I sense his boat has now sailed as far as Mourinho is concerned.
NO ONE played well last night, this suggests an issue with the team, not any one individual and that's a problem that the manager has to be responsible for.

We are faced with exactly the same scenario as we were when we went to Turfmore last season, where an absolute shitshow of a first-half (2nd half really wasn't much better) was put on the shoulders of a single player (when all 10 outfield players were poor).

The team didn't know what to do, this wasn't Dele's fault, Vinícius fault, Bales fault, Kane's fault, Son's fault, Davies fault, Lucas's fault..........

Yes, we can look at what he did or didn't do but do you know what he was supposed to do? But do you know what Vinícius was supposed to be doing? It looked to me like we were lobbing a long ball from the back to him, asking him to hold it up or knock it on, but to who? There were no runs from Bale or Bergwijn. Was Dele playing as a 10? If so, where was the movement for him off the ball?

Probably because he knows if he makes the tiniest mistake he will be hauled off even if he isn't the worst player on the pitch

Well unfortunately for him every game this season he has played he has been the worst player on the pitch so he doesn't have to worry about that.

It would be a huge improvement if Alli was making tiny mistakes, unfortunately he doesn't get involved enough to even make those.

Posters can slate Alli all day and night but I feel for him.

Not because he won't have all the money he probably needs to live a good life already but because I think he knows the magic he once had may now be gone............ aged 24.

We can say what we like but I think none of us would cope well or know what to do if we thought we were working hard and yet in our area of work and where it mattered it just wasn't there.

Last edited:
He has been singled out this season though hasn't he or he takes son and kane off against Everton because they were worse then alli in that first 45 mins

You give the whole team not just alli a little bit more then 45 mins to get their act together before you make ridiculous wholesale changes that didn't do any better
Then you risk being in the scenario of 60 mins played and 2-0 down. Easy in hindsight to say the changes didn't work but in my opinion it was the correct decision at the right time. Jose gave that team a chance to prove he had an A and a B squad strong enough to challenge for the Premier and Europa league titles. He did not get the responses he was looking for so decided to put on the big guns and try to win the match rather than just salvage a draw.
Okay. it didn't work but I'd rather see that than when we used to watch Poch sit on his hands until at least the 70th minute before he finally realised something needed changing. Don't just blame the manager for trying a total of16 players last night and still suffering defeat. Everyone needs to take the blame firmly and squarely on the jaw, if they don't then we risk such a debacle happening again and again.

Back
Top Bottom