Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So much content I've never seen before! Here he is at Oxford University Student Union, Ossie doing his translation at the presser, first vid. 2nd vid is his talk with the Students (jump to 34seconds in if you don't speak Spanish) quality isn't great.

Boca Juniors ground with just Maradona's box lights on...

EnwM9WvXYAAqjiW

Maradona was the best player in the world for a maximum 4 years.

Messi a minimum 10.

You're right. No comparison really.

Deary me. Take a poll mate. Maradona all day long.

As so many on here and elsewhere do, they look at it without looking at the raw facts and the bigger stages.

Maradona dominated the 1986 World Cup like no player had since Pele.

Really easy to decide.

Last edited:
I
Some people really do overlook how much better football is now.
went back and watched a game from the mid 00s in the Premier League between Utd and Chelsea
, t
The night before England played Brazil in Japan/South Korea WC, they played the whole of that "classic" between England and Brazil from Mexico 1970. You know the one - 2 best teams, shame it wasn't the final, still might be, Pele and Moore exchanging shirts, THAT Banks save, we hit the bar, THAT Jeff Astle miss........

well feck me - it was just 90 minutes of hoofball from England.

And that was 20 years ago that I watched it through! If I saw it now it would seem like a team from Hackney Marshes.

Deary me. Take a poll mate. Maradona all day long.

As so many on here and elsewhere do, they look at it without looking at the raw facts and the bigger stages.

Maradona dominated 1986 like no player had since Pele.

Really easy to decide.
Lol. A poll.

No player has dominated a year like 1986?

Lionel Messi scored 91 goals in 2012 and won 4 trophies.

#rawfacts

The night before England played Brazil in Japan/South Korea WC, they played the whole of that "classic" between England and Brazil from Mexico 1970. You know the one - 2 best teams, shame it wasn't the final, still might be, Pele and Moore exchanging shirts, THAT Banks save, we hit the bar, THAT Jeff Astle miss........

well feck me - it was just 90 minutes of hoofball from England.

And that was 20 years ago that I watched it through! If I saw it now it would seem like a team from Hackney Marshes.
Agree mate

That 1970 Brazil game was fantastic
one of the best I’ve ever seen and a brilliant advert for football generally Time flew by and we were desperately unlucky and we would have beaten them if there was a next time in the final
They were very relieved when Alf fucked it up against the Germans

No comparison to the following one which was eminently forgettable apart from Seaman’s ricket!

Messi is a million times better than Maradona, the statistics speak by themselves. There is no possible doubt. Many speak out of the heart. I have seen the career of both fully since Diego came to Barcelona, he was extraordinary but in terms of goals and assists, he is even under Cristiano, Gerd Müller, Ronaldo, Pelé or Di Stefano.

He was in the league of the extraordinary skilled players, not in the league of the most decisive ones. The league of Platini, Zidane, Baggio, Del Piero, Figo, Gazza, Zico, Rivelino, Garrincha, Laudrup, etc.

Messi is the best ever in both leagues, skilled, marvelous to see, and decisive, scoring 50 goals per season only in the Spanish league, plus many more in the Cup of Europe or the King's Cup, that is extra terrestrial figures. And I'm not exactl his fan, he has beaten us and humiliated us for 15 years.

Maradona fanatics are not realistic.

Messi wouldn't have been able to match Maradona if he'd played in the same era. The balls were match heavier, as were the boots. Modern boots are like slippers. And the pitches are of a much higher qualities. The pitch at the Azteca was terrible and If you you look closely at his 2nd goal vs England you'll see the ball bobbling all over the place yet he still has it under complete control. I'm not entirely sure Messi would have been able to cope physically with the football of Maradona's era, it was much more brutal sport.

Messi wouldn't have been able to match Maradona if he'd played in the same era. The balls were match heavier, as were the boots. Modern boots are like slippers. And the pitches are of a much higher qualities. The pitch at the Azteca was terrible and If you you look closely at his 2nd goal vs England you'll see the ball bobbling all over the place yet he still has it under complete control. I'm not entirely sure Messi would have been able to cope physically with the football of Maradona's era, it was much more brutal sport.
Messi wouldn’t stand a chance in Maradona‘s era the treatment he got was unreal okay he could look after himself but still it was brutal Messi nah he’d bottle it.

Sad reality is we'll never know.

Just by going off clips, I think Maradona looked aesthetically better than Messi when dribbling as he had that raw power and strength whilst looking like he was dancing with the defenders.

But also in the same clips, the defenders are mostly horrendous. Drawn to the ball and their technique for the most part was woeful. Football nowadays is soooooo much better. It's coached better to deal with players of that ability.

I think they are both products of their era. And personally, I think both are so talented and both do/did so many things that don't seem possible that you put one or the other in a different era and they'd easily be the best.

The reason the likes of Pele, Maradona etc. are hailed as above others are because the way they played the game differently. Mostly because the eras they were in were so poor in terms of the level of quality. Look at clips of Pele and it's like a modern footballer put into a game full of semi professionals. Same with Maradona. He was different. Something no one had seen at the time.

And in 20+ years time, someone will come along that'll be something completely different and this generation will have the same conversations about how they were never as good as Messi etc.

But he did this in '86. This clip is JUST from that tournament only! I think that's incredible by comparison of what's followed. (Yes, there are always one or two standouts each tournament e.g Scilachi, Baggio, Platini, Cryuff, Zizou, Pele, Gazza even in 90 and wasn't Greaves supposed to great in '66 before being dropped for the final? But fuck, look at this!)

As I said, I’m not trying to knock the fella down, I was just trying to add a bit of perspective.

Sad reality is we'll never know.

Just by going off clips, I think Maradona looked aesthetically better than Messi when dribbling as he had that raw power and strength whilst looking like he was dancing with the defenders.

But also in the same clips, the defenders are mostly horrendous. Drawn to the ball and their technique for the most part was woeful. Football nowadays is soooooo much better. It's coached better to deal with players of that ability.

I think they are both products of their era. And personally, I think both are so talented and both do/did so many things that don't seem possible that you put one or the other in a different era and they'd easily be the best.

The reason the likes of Pele, Maradona etc. are hailed as above others are because the way they played the game differently. Mostly because the eras they were in were so poor in terms of the level of quality. Look at clips of Pele and it's like a modern footballer put into a game full of semi professionals. Same with Maradona. He was different. Something no one had seen at the time.

And in 20+ years time, someone will come along that'll be something completely different and this generation will have the same conversations about how they were never as good as Messi etc.
The thing is when you say about modern football being better coached (defensively), you forget that the game has changed.

In the past, if you can't take a tough tackle, you wouldn't dare to taunt defenders, since they didn't need to defend the ball to stop you. If you're within the defender sliding tackling range, you're not safe.

Nowadays, once a player that can cut in front of the defender, the defender is pretty much being out of equation.

That's just one major change. So the context of the rule change can't be ignored. Can't just compare football matches from different era and come to conclusion.

Last edited:
The thing is when you say about modern football being better coached (defensively), you forget that the game has changed.

In the past, if you can't take it you would dare to taunt defenders, since they didn't need to defend the ball to stop you. If you're within the defender sliding tackling range, you're not safe.

Nowadays, once a player that can cut in front of the defender, the defender is pretty much being out of equation.

So the context of the rule change can't be ignored. Can't just compare football matches from different era and come to conclusion.

It's just better in general.

Better tactics. Better coached. Better level of quality overall. Everything. It might not have the same characters, charisma etc. - but we are now served a better product then we've ever got when it comes to actual football.

But that's the same with pretty much every sport. And nostalgia plays a huge part. So and so from my day were better than so and so from this day etc.

It's why it's impossible to compare eras. Maradona was the best of his era. Messi is the best of his.

I'd love a time where players are appreciated for what they did as footballers and more than just a comparison in conversation.

As I said, I’m not trying to knock the fella down, I was just trying to add a bit of perspective.
I get that but '86 one man truly dominated a tournament, I'll stay safe by saying like never since, despite some standouts as listed. (I simply can't judge further back than that with any credibility based solely on my own views, I'm at the mercy of what has been written and told, and YouTube clips of Garrincha and Pele etc rather than as seen by me).

I think it's probably a good thing that one player hasn't been able to repeat this dominance of a single tournament, I think that's a reflection of an overall improvement in the quality of individual players across the board.

Back
Top Bottom