Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's no big mystery here. He's not the athlete he once was and could have been a defensive liability today. There's still an element of not knowing what we have with him. I trust Mourinho to know what games he can be useful in.

This is sad. Mou wanted him and now he benches him, so he must be really out of shape. He looks so incredibly fit and strong, he must have put so much effort for so long without even playing wih the hope of returning...

It's a tough league.

Whilst I think it's a mixture of him being unfit and probably not the greatest defensively - I don't think this was a game for Bale at all.

He isn't the explosive countering Bale of yesteryear. He's the more experienced Bale, who can cut in and shoot or put in a good ball.

We probably won't see Bale start a league game for us until perhaps Crystal Palace.

More the games go on, more I worry that we wont see bale as a regular in the team I thought we would see him every week after the west ham match as was hyped about him returning to fitness some reason maybe because what he used to do for us/did for real madrid , Now I feel maybe he wont ever really have a outstanding match for us and wont be poor but average at best and wont see anymore of him past this loan, I think I just had un realistic ideas for him, I was expecting him to be full fitness by now and have scored already 5 goals , Think it's just what i used to think he could do and was expecting too much of him.

Even matched up against Bergwijn, James was getting a yard on him, enough to put in a couple dangerous crosses during that shaky spell in the 2nd half. There was no way Jose was going to replace him with Bale while it remained 0-0

More the games go on, more I worry that we wont see bale as a regular in the team I thought we would see him every week after the west ham match as was hyped about him returning to fitness some reason maybe because what he used to do for us/did for real madrid , Now I feel maybe he wont ever really have a outstanding match for us and wont be poor but average at best and wont see anymore of him past this loan, I think I just had un realistic ideas for him, I was expecting him to be full fitness by now and have scored already 5 goals , Think it's just what i used to think he could do and was expecting too much of him.

He arrived at Spurs quite unfit - do you recall him starting for Madrid on a regular basis in tyhe last yeaer.

Me neither

That's why its taking so long to get fit - he's probably pretty fit physically now but still needs to get match fit.

And that's why he's currently playing in the less demanding EL games to get to the required standard...... and that's also why Madrid were happy to come back to Spurs on loan without bid fees etc.

Jesus, since he's fit we played 2 PL games, why the fuck should he be starting this games? He doesn't have a guaranteed spot in the team for what he done in the past, let him work hard an own his spot.

Start him against Gooner scum

I tend to agree.... They're gonna sit back a) cos Arteta has them playing with the handbreak on and b) to try and nullify the 'sit and then counter' strategy we've employ in tougher games c) they'll be desperate not to lose..... In fact I'd be inclined to break out the TN / PEH / GIO / Bale / Kane / Son full-sexy front 6.

Last edited:
I knew we wouldn't see Bale in those last two matches against City and Chelsea unless we were losing and chasing the match. We were always gonna be defensive in those matches.

However, I think he'll start against Woolwich. We're at home and will need to win to keep up with Liverpool. Woolwich will try to park the bus so we'll need the extra bit of attacking quality Bale may be able to provide.

Like others here, I don't worry that we haven't used him vs City and Chavs. He will get games. He will get a new start vs LASK on Thursday thus improving his match-fitness further.

I could see him getting a start vs Woolwich. Think it might be between him and Lucas, as we would want to be a bit more attacking as the last two games.

He was due to come on against City but Toby went down injured. Chelsea was not the game to bring Bale on, too risky with the scoreline at 0-0. Bale will play again on Thursday and hopefully get closer to 90 minutes, without reaching 90 minutes then he isn't fit enough to start in the league. I imagine he plays a part against Woolwich off the bench and starts against Palace. Bale is slowly finding his fitness and form, there is no need to worry. This is a long season and I'm sure Bale will play a significant part.

He was due to come on against City but Toby went down injured. Chelsea was not the game to bring Bale on, too risky with the scoreline at 0-0. Bale will play again on Thursday and hopefully get closer to 90 minutes, without reaching 90 minutes then he isn't fit enough to start in the league. I imagine he plays a part against Woolwich off the bench and starts against Palace. Bale is slowly finding his fitness and form, there is no need to worry. This is a long season and I'm sure Bale will play a significant part.

Indeed; if our cup runs go well we could have another 40-odd matches ahead.....

IMO, Jose is protecting Bale as much as he can. Allowing him time to get back to his best without putting him in a pressured situation that could sour his status and support. With the squad strength, he is able to afford that for Bale.

Back
Top Bottom