Spurs vs Leicester City 20 Dec 14:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know, JT. I guess I was just trying to make a bit of a funny.
You blokes have been at this proper football much longer than I, I'm only about 10 years in. But my Yank sports allegiances are completely generational. And my teams, including Spurs, are inked all over my body. I couldnt change if I wanted to, and I've never wanted to. I suffered for decades through my youth, but when the Chicago Bears, Chicago White Sox, and Chicago Blackhawks finally won it all, I was able to celebrate so much more than the bandwagon jumpers that I despise to the point I refuse to recognize them. Suffering leads to that much more satisfaction and elation. As it will with my beloved Spurs.*

*But I'm getting old, might I ask they pick up the pace a bit...
So you know exactly how I feel supporting the Cleveland Browns 😖

I’m not offended Chico. I just wanted to hear your considered reasoning. And ‘dafuq’? I don’t know what to say. What kind of internet bullshit is that?
Not bullshit
Just another pissed off poster calling you out on your drunken rage rants
But you don’t give a fuck do you

It feels like we are no longer playing with a midfield. I know over the course of the season we are going to have to concede a lot of possession and counter attack teams but surely we cannot implement these tactics every week. I rate mourinho as a manager and I hope we are successful under him but we need to attack teams like the Tottenham of old. Players like Harry Kane will get fed up of tactics like these, he is a born goal scorer and will eventually get fed up of being stuck in his own box defending corners. We need to gain control in the midfield again and stop relying on the Kane and son to save us on the counter attack. Let’s get back to winning ways against Stoke on Wednesday and go from there, these season is a long way from over and we can still challenge at the top of this table.

It feels like we are no longer playing with a midfield. I know over the course of the season we are going to have to concede a lot of possession and counter attack teams but surely we cannot implement these tactics every week. I rate mourinho as a manager and I hope we are successful under him but we need to attack teams like the Tottenham of old. Players like Harry Kane will get fed up of tactics like these, he is a born goal scorer and will eventually get fed up of being stuck in his own box defending corners. We need to gain control in the midfield again and stop relying on the Kane and son to save us on the counter attack. Let’s get back to winning ways against Stoke on Wednesday and go from there, these season is a long way from over and we can still challenge at the top of this table.

Our midfield has been invisible last couple of games good post. Spot on too.

The midfield was so bad today we brought on winks for pass retention.

Our midfield has been invisible last couple of games good post. Spot on too.

The midfield was so bad today we brought on winks for pass retention.
Yeah it was very bad today. Seems like we have a huge gap between defence and attack and we are second to almost every ball. The problem with winks is he chooses the easy and predictable passes, I cannot remember the last time I have seen him unlock a team with a pass.

Yeah it was very bad today. Seems like we have a huge gap between defence and attack and we are second to almost every ball. The problem with winks is he chooses the easy and predictable passes, I cannot remember the last time I have seen him unlock a team with a pass.
We had a wall of about 5 players stood next to the Leicester back line with nobody in between the defence, while toby pumped long balls forward. Pretty shocking to watch

We had a wall of about 5 players stood next to the Leicester back line with nobody in between the defence, while toby pumped long balls forward. Pretty shocking to watch
It was a shocking watch and the worst performance since Everton. Just very concerning with the lack of creativeness in midfield and the fact that we cannot string more than 2 passes together in midfield. The more we cannot gain possession of the ball the more chance the other team will score.

Strange how you come on here for acceptance , just accept the fact that your life is a failure and try not take it to hard , it’s not your fault you need a bottle of the hard stuff to get through the day ,apparently Churchill was the same so your in goof company ?

I’m really not sure how to respond to this error strewn piece of literary garbage. Acceptance? Me? Even people who hate me at least accept me. You strike me as a fat man with limited self-control, who is literally wobbling with anger and frustration, because someone doesn’t think the sun shines out of your gargantuan backside.

And Churchill? What the bleeding fuck? I don’t want to pick your life apart, because you’d probably burst into tears and leave the forum you so desperately need.

It was a shocking watch and the worst performance since Everton. Just very concerning with the lack of creativeness in midfield and the fact that we cannot string more than 2 passes together in midfield. The more we cannot gain possession of the ball the more chance the other team will score.
But Jose persists with playing sissoko? He basically makes us a 10 man team when we have the ball. Surely PEH is enough as a holding player. Play GLC and Tanguy either side and make sure the front 3 press the opposition.

But Jose persists with playing sissoko? He basically makes us a 10 man team when we have the ball. Surely PEH is enough as a holding player. Play GLC and Tanguy either side and make sure the front 3 press the opposition.
He obviously doesn’t have a lot of faith in our defence so over compensates for it with 2 defensive midfielders which effects us massively going forward and retaining possession in midfield. I think PEH has been phenomenal but Sissoko will always be clumsy and run into no mans land chasing his first touch. We need an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences and keep hold of the ball. Why not try bale in a more central role, he held on to the ball very well today and made some good contributions going forward and also has that lethal left foot in his locker which will trouble the goalkeeper from anywhere.

It isn’t “melting”. That insinuates an overreaction to a singular result.

The reality is that a lot of people saw this coming even when we were winning, understanding the limitation of these tactics and how poor performances against the likes of Burnley, Brighton and WBA was likely to manifest itself in defeat against better opposition.

It’d be great to talk about what you’re seeing tactically that impresses you as opposed to criticising everyone who is dissatisfied as a “melter” like some sort of teenager.

For me, Jose has instilled some defensive solidity and managed the big games well.

Conversely, he has absolutely failed to find the correct tactical formula for games outside of that, and is yet to impose an attacking identity into this team. I’d also like to see him be a little more flexible with his tactics, the low block counter has become somewhat predictable.
The terms "melting cunt and woke" seriously need binning. Utterly empty. There are loads of people with valid concerns about the way we were getting results and its sustainability. I hope to God they are wrong. As I really liked that whole being top of the league thing...sigh

He obviously doesn’t have a lot of faith in our defence so over compensates for it with 2 defensive midfielders which effects us massively going forward and retaining possession in midfield. I think PEH has been phenomenal but Sissoko will always be clumsy and run into no mans land chasing his first touch. We need an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences and keep hold of the ball. Why not try bale in a more central role, he held on to the ball very well today and made some good contributions going forward and also has that lethal left foot in his locker which will trouble the goalkeeper from anywhere.
This is the contradiction with JM. If he doesn’t trust our defence and has to have two “defensive “ CMs playing then why play such a stupid tactic that basically invites pressure on your weakness. Our strength is in attacking players but even then he makes them come back in our third to play as defenders. I don’t get the logic.

This is the contradiction with JM. If he doesn’t trust our defence and has to have two “defensive “ CMs playing then why play such a stupid tactic that basically invites pressure on your weakness. Our strength is in attacking players but even then he makes them come back in our third to play as defenders. I don’t get the logic.
Because he is far too cautious to play attacking football so even tho we invite more pressure on ourself by having 2 defensive midfielders he still thinks we have a better chance of winning than playing attacking football even tho we are creating a massive gap between defence and attack. We can’t hold on to the ball for more than 2 passes most of the time. It’s frustrating to watch and not enjoyable. Like I said in a previous post I want mourinho to succeed with us and bring us some silverware but we can’t rely on winning games by counter attacking every week and trying to win by 1 goal.

I really hope that I’m wrong but Bale looks finished and his teammates realise that as he seems to be an unpopular choice to pass to unless I’m picking this up wrong 😑

Ok, fair points, but no manager only gets judged once a year, even if they've won the league a few years ago with someone else.
That doesn’t make it right

Next season could be huge for us but some alleged fans can’t see further than our last couple of games

I really hope that I’m wrong but Bale looks finished and his teammates realise that as he seems to be an unpopular choice to pass to unless I’m picking this up wrong 😑
You may be right. I think the nostalgia attached to bale from his first spell with us makes me wanna see him roll back the years and be the player to win us games but I think that yard of pace he has lost has affected his confidence. Would still like to see him play more central tho, I think it would give us another dimension to our attack. Like you said I too noticed that he made some decent runs but wasn’t passed to by team mates.

Back
Top Bottom