Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's like we're seeing a upside down Bale.

He used to be about power, athleticism and pace, and then he also had the technique to score - Bale has always been a great finisher, as we all know, and he became a elite finisher as his career got better and better.

What we're seeing now are glimpes of the last part: his two goals from headers, against West Brom and Stoke, demanded great finishing technique - Lucas or Bergwijn don't have it, for example.

Bale is still able to deliver moments of brilliance. We don't know yet what else he will be able to offer and, yes, at this moment he is a luxury player - which in my opinion is not a drama.

I think we should hope for the best and expect the worst.

If Bale can get better with more minutes on the pitch, recover some of his pace and power, we could have another world class player next to Sonny and Kane; if what we're seeing now is the maximum he can offer at this stage of his career, he could still help us in this very difficult season with his experience and his glimpses of brilliance.

This 275K a week rumour is unsubstantiated.. Levy would not have offered that to loan someone with a dodgy injury history. At most he is earning what Kane is earning (from Spurs that is) and R.Madrid and paying the rest of it just to get him out of there.

If Levy was truly willing to pay such staggering salaries then Spurs would've been first in line for Alaba

Injured again. This loan really hasn't worked out as I hoped thus far at all. Even when playing he just hasn't done enough. Can't see us taking the 2nd year option at this rate.

Need to see something more next year...

Maybe it is because I was not a fan when Bale first played for Spurs but I have been against him coming back since day 1. I agree he was treated unfairly at Madrid but the injuries speak for themselves. He's as injury-prone as they come and will never reach being a top player again imo.

Hopefully he'll be back for the rearranged Fulham match at the end of March.... that's if we haven't gone into full lockdown and cancelled the season by then!

Injured again. This loan really hasn't worked out as I hoped thus far at all. Even when playing he just hasn't done enough. Can't see us taking the 2nd year option at this rate.

Need to see something more next year...
Out for 3 weeks with a calf injury latest

Hopefully he'll be back for the rearranged Fulham match at the end of March.... that's if we haven't gone into full lockdown and cancelled the season by then!
I think we should award the title to the Dippers and the League Cup to us then go on a 3 month circuit break

Bale is my favorite ever player and I know more about him than anyone, and I was so excited for his return. But it's safe to say Bale's legs are gone for good and he should of course not be signed permanently after this season. No amount of game time will ever give him his speed and power back, all the injuries ruined him. He hasn't even had a burst followed by a decent shot in-game this season, that really says it all. And apparently he's again sidelined for a few weeks...

It was definitely worth it giving it a shot though, unfortunately it didn't work out the way everyone wanted it to.

Last edited:
This isn’t exactly going as anyone hoped. I think it’s a combination of decline, motivation and mentality.

He seems to be injured all the time and afraid to just run it out. Safe to say he shouldn’t take the second year.

A decline in pace and athleticism can be mitigated somewhat though, numerous players have adapted their games to compensate.

Main problem is he doesn't look like he's up for it. We've had one freekick and a couple of competent headers after the ball has dropped on his head, but it's slim pickings. He doesn't look switched on. He doesn't look like he wants to do put the work in. The pace of proceedings often looks too much for him. Ok some of it - lack of sprints, not really kicking through the ball properly - might be a combo of rust and fear of injury, but then his touch and passing hasn't been great on numerous occasions and he is getting knocked off the ball by a stiff breeze and just giving up. That's lack of desire and application and mindset.

It's like he's just tiptoeing around playing an exhibition or testimonial. Occasionally the flair will come off, every so often he will produce something from his greatest hits catalogue, but if he wants to contribute and rebuild his career here then he's got to knuckle down and find some sort of hunger and intensity to his play. At the moment in these aspects the difference between him and the rest, even the shittest members of the squad, is massive and no team could accommodate it at PL level.

A decline in pace and athleticism can be mitigated somewhat though, numerous players have adapted their games to compensate.

Main problem is he doesn't look like he's up for it. We've had one freekick and a couple of competent headers after the ball has dropped on his head, but it's slim pickings. He doesn't look switched on. He doesn't look like he wants to do put the work in. The pace of proceedings often looks too much for him. Ok some of it - lack of sprints, not really kicking through the ball properly - might be a combo of rust and fear of injury, but then his touch and passing hasn't been great on numerous occasions and he is getting knocked off the ball by a stiff breeze and just giving up. That's lack of desire and application and mindset.

It's like he's just tiptoeing around playing an exhibition or testimonial. Occasionally the flair will come off, every so often he will produce something from his greatest hits catalogue, but if he wants to contribute and rebuild his career here then he's got to knuckle down and find some sort of hunger and intensity to his play. At the moment in these aspects the difference between him and the rest, even the shittest members of the squad, is massive and no team could accommodate it at PL level.

I've been very disappointed with Bale.

It looks like Zidane was right about him.

Back
Top Bottom