Was your first match ever attended on TV?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1 Nov 1969, v Sheffield Wednesday, won 1-0, Roger Morgan scored the winner.

19 April 1969 v West Ham. Won 1-0 (Greaves). That goal condemned me to lifetime of futile hope and misery.

No footage that I’ve found, but I bought a programme a couple of weeks ago that is now on my Spurs “Wall-o-Tat”.

We beat Derby 3-0 and Gazza scored a hat trick, including 2 excellent free kicks. Got to briefly meet him afterwards as well as my mum worked for Holsten, the sponsor at the time.

Pretty sure it wasn't on TV.

Last edited:
We beat Derby 3-0 and Gazza scored a hat trick, including 2 excellent free kicks. Got to briefly meet him afterwards as well as my mum worked for Holsten, the sponsor at the time.
That was the 91 season, right? Peter Shilton taking a rare break from cheating on (and beating) his wife(allegedly), and proceeded to not get his hands near anything for 90mins.
I were at that one.

Was my my first. My first was a home win against Notts County. 1-0. I think Archibald bagged the winner

19 April 1969 v West Ham. Won 1-0 (Greaves). That goal condemned me to lifetime of futile hope and misery.

No footage that I’ve found, but I bought a programme a couple of weeks ago that is now on my Spurs “Wall-o-Tat”.
Yes, I didn't appreciate it at the time what that game would mean to me, I managed to get the programme on ebay a couple of years ago; the original cost a tanner and I shelled out a whole quid to get it :)

That was the 91 season, right? Peter Shilton taking a rare break from cheating on (and beating) his wife(allegedly), and proceeded to not get his hands near anything for 90mins.
I were at that one.

Was my my first. My first was a home win against Notts County. 1-0. I think Archibald bagged the winner
That's the one.

Brilliant game, my first visit to Stamford Bridge. Scary atmosphere, took us over an hour to get back to the tube station after the game.
My first experience at Stamford Bridge wasn't to see us. The bloke running the Sunday league team i played for arranged a match going experience for us all.on the way, him and his mates stopped to buy a load of Bananas. Alex Williams was in goal for man City that day.......

Next morning, I told them I didnt wanna play for them any more.

I still struggle to understand why any black player signs for them. Arguably the most racist support in the country.

There is footage of this game somewhere....
I think I remember one of the goals. From a Taylor (?) throw in out right, dummied and then 1-2'd back to PT by the player behind the dummy, took it into the box for a one on one and scored neatly.

From a bloody throw in!! It was such a great move and so simple, I could never understand why we didn't score others that season from it. Maybe we did and they weren't on TV.

Just remembered another v Citeh from a throw in out right, 3-0 at home, H in charge. Again, created a one on one. At our end, Paxton for that one.

I always remember the excitement as a kid if you turned up and the tv lorries were parked up.. " we're gonna be on the box". Crowds were a lot younger then. Me and mates were going on our own from the age of 10. Still going with some of them.
Ha ha... we used to bang on the gate pretend to cry - claim some big boys had stole our tickets and the plod or stewards would let us in. Probably got away with it half a dozen times all told. :)

Ha ha... we used to bang on the gate pretend to cry - claim some big boys had stole our tickets and the plod or stewards would let us in. Probably got away with it half a dozen times all told. :)
IIRC, we played Everton mid week in 1982 ? (Roberts screamer) and when we got there, it was sold out.
The fella on the turnstile let us in for a fiver.

My mate use to work the hot dog stand in the ground. We give him fiver and gor £20 change. Now its all cashless :roseunsure:

City at home in the 1989/90 season. I’m sure I’ve posted this before. East Upper. Quite a lot of City fans around us celebrating the equaliser. Remember thinking the ground looked tiny from up there. Can still remember the sounds from the terraces as we approached. Not the best match but God I’d love to relive that day for so many reasons

I also remember me constantly asking my Dad if our No. 6 that day was Gary Mabutt - my favourite player.

It was Chris Hughton.

:harrylol:

deadleyledley are you my Dad? Do you have a different recollection?

:mourbringit:

Pretty sure it was this on 30th March 1991

I remember being stood on the Park Lane, but must've been right in the corner as can't see any home fans in that end in the coverage.

Definitely would have been a couple of blocks for Home fans on the East side. You were at the right end to see the goals.

Definitely would have been a couple of blocks for Home fans on the East side. You were at the right end to see the goals.
Yeah! I was 10 at the time, and don't remember loads about it.

The main thing that always stands out in my memory was all the people leaving early to go and queue for FA Cup Semi Final tickets. I think we can safely say that it was well worth it

Back
Top Bottom