Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In terms of overall goal contributions (goals + assists):

Premier League leaderboard:
1st Kane- 29
2nd Bruno- 26 (8 penalties...)
3rd Son- 22
4th Salah 20 (6 penalties)

So when people try and disrespect Son with this ‘he’s our third of fourth option’ bullshit, bear in mind he’s third in the league in goal contributions (and would be second if not for Bruno’s pens).

In terms of overall goal contributions (goals + assists):

Premier League leaderboard:
1st Kane- 29
2nd Bruno- 26 (8 penalties...)
3rd Son- 22
4th Salah 20 (6 penalties)

So when people try and disrespect Son with this ‘he’s our third of fourth option’ bullshit, bear in mind he’s third in the league in goal contributions (and would be second if not for Bruno’s pens).
It's pretty clear that this forum doesn't value him at all. Son has 5.99 Player rating overall this season on the forum....blows my mind

Everyone should know that Son goes through purple patches. As his career has progressed, those purple patches have got longer and longer. Bale’s form has come at the right time but I’m confident Son will get into another purple patch soon enough. If we can get them all firing at the same time, well let’s just say we have a serious, serious team. How are you supposed to defend against those three; all of them being capable of worldies....trophie winning top 3 and could be coming at the right time.Thanks for the presents, much appreciate

No one remembers how you start but they’ll remember how you finish

Son seems desperate to get on the scoresheet again (which is a good thing) but he's making it harder on himself when he's trying to score worldies.

He could do with some better movement in the box à la Bale's goals last night, rather than rely on ball to feet and shooting from outside the box.

He’s been slightly inconsistent, unlike you, who consistently fills this thread with delusional conclusions.
200.gif

He's going through a bit of a cold spell but should get hot again soon enough. He played a lot of games while Kane was out and while Bale was still finding his form and got a bit burned out trying to carry the attack. Still made a great contribution to the attack today and got an assist. The only thing we should be worrying about is how to either sign him on a new contract, or less preferably how to sell him for the biggest fee possible.

He's going through a bit of a cold spell but should get hot again soon enough. He played a lot of games while Kane was out and while Bale was still finding his form and got a bit burned out trying to carry the attack. Still made a great contribution to the attack today and got an assist. The only thing we should be worrying about is how to either sign him on a new contract, or less preferably how to sell him for the biggest fee possible.
100%. Not sure why people are trying to completely miss the fact that he’s been significantly underperforming. 1 goal over the last 11 games? Maybe he needs to ride the bench a bit, recover and let others who’ve been playing well step in. Even Son would tell you he needs to do much better. People get so triggered on here.

It wasn’t that long ago where Son wasn’t always a sure starter AND we were near the top of the tables. Our success isn’t contingent on Son.

I don't want to see him sold and think it is unlikely we are better if we sell him versus keep him but I am at least wiling to listen to arguments in favor of selling him for a massive price and then re-investing the money to strengthen our team overall. I don't think it is the way to go especially with this manager and Levy/Hitchens but it is at least worth listening to/considering.

The ridiculous notion that we sell Son and replace him with Grealish or Pulisic to make us better, those I agree are dumb, dumb, dumb.
You sell cos this is likely the best time to do so. The alternative is to watch him decline while not having the funds to get an adequate replacement. Like it or not, we simply dont have the funds to run a transfer policy of holding on to ageing players.

The question of if the money would be spent on a good replacement is irrelevant, as we would have to get a replacement in a few seasons irrespective. In fact, having more funds makes it more likely to get it right than bargain shopping for unproven talent.

As an example, a sale of Son for £70-80m gives us the opportunity to get a replacement for £40-50m while still having £20-40m for another quality addition to the squad. That is far better than looking for an undiscovered gem for less than £20m

100%. Not sure why people are trying to completely miss the fact that he’s been significantly underperforming. 1 goal over the last 11 games? Maybe he needs to ride the bench a bit, recover and let others who’ve been playing well step in. Even Son would tell you he needs to do much better. People get so triggered on here.

It wasn’t that long ago where Son wasn’t always a sure starter AND we were near the top of the tables. Our success isn’t contingent on Son.
I can understand why Jose is keen to let him go on a run with Kane and Bale as long as he is healthy and playing well enough. You don't always land your shots but you can hustle, play defense, and be responsible with the ball when in possession. As Son has more or less done that, I haven't seen any real reason to bench him. Personally I'm way more an advocate of regular rotation but it is what it is and more importantly we've been winning because of it or despite it, whatever your take.

I can understand why Jose is keen to let him go on a run with Kane and Bale as long as he is healthy and playing well enough. You don't always land your shots but you can hustle, play defense, and be responsible with the ball when in possession. As Son has more or less done that, I haven't seen any real reason to bench him. Personally I'm way more an advocate of regular rotation but it is what it is and more importantly we've been winning because of it or despite it, whatever your take.
Well, it makes sense to bench good players(Mane prime example)but we just don't have the quality to make up for his talent. If you look at the overall goal contribution this season alone, there's no way you can bench Kane or Son from the manager's perspective. Maybe things will change if Bale continues to bring his A tier games.

Fair enough. I guess we do need someone to play the Berjiwin role to compliment Kane, Bale and Lucas. Sons doing a fine job at that I guess.

You sell cos this is likely the best time to do so. The alternative is to watch him decline while not having the funds to get an adequate replacement. Like it or not, we simply dont have the funds to run a transfer policy of holding on to ageing players.

The question of if the money would be spent on a good replacement is irrelevant, as we would have to get a replacement in a few seasons irrespective. In fact, having more funds makes it more likely to get it right than bargain shopping for unproven talent.

As an example, a sale of Son for £70-80m gives us the opportunity to get a replacement for £40-50m while still having £20-40m for another quality addition to the squad. That is far better than looking for an undiscovered gem for less than £20m
The upside of keeping him is that, besides retaining the services of a borderline world class wing-forward and cherished club icon, we can postpone getting another first team LW for another three seasons and make that position our main xfer target during that window. Funds can instead be spent on defense and CM, where we desperately need help. It's not all bad either way, but before doing anything radical, Daniel/The Club needs to be decisive and have a clear vision of where the team is headed. That clarity is not here yet though as with our recent uptick in form the jury is still very much out on Jose, with Levy probably hoping to pull a rabbit out of his hat with a late Jose turnaround.

Back
Top Bottom