Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but he's 34 lol

Do you not see why older players generally have lower values than younger players? Lloris has like 1 or 2 years left while a 22 year old can play for your team for 8 to 10 years and if flopping can potentially be sold to recoup value.

Players, like most assets, depreciate. Both over the course of their contracts and as they age. And because players have their physical and performance peaks from like 25 to 30, top teams will often have to sell players older and buy players in the peak age range, hence higher outlays.

We aren't even bad sellers. Look at Woolwich or Brighton or something. We made pretty impressive sales in Bale, Walker, Trippier, Wimmer, Bentaleb etc. But unfortunately we buy so many flops it doesn't really matter.

Also, 10m is like a top 20 fee in history for a goalie, let alone a 34 year old one lol

Yes I do see why older players generally have lower value that is not the issue I brought up. You introduced the older/younger thing. I was talking about players in general.

10m is not top 10, especially when guys like Maignan are being quoted for over 20m.

Yes I do see why older players generally have lower value that is not the issue I brought up. You introduced the older/younger thing. I was talking about players in general.

10m is not top 10, especially when guys like Maignan are being quoted for over 20m.
Maignan is how old?

If you buy a 34 year old you will have to pay less than if you buy a 24 year old of similar talent.

Maignan is how old?

If you buy a 34 year old you will have to pay less than if you buy a 24 year old of similar talent.

Sure but we are talking about buying a keeper of similar talent we are talking Maignan.

And my point was more about people always talking about how hard it is to sell our players, not just Lloris, while then claiming peak prices for guys we are buying.

Sure but we are talking about buying a keeper of similar talent we are talking Maignan.

And my point was more about people always talking about how hard it is to sell our players, not just Lloris, while then claiming peak prices for guys we are buying.
Because we are selling a 34 year old with a year remaining on his contract with little to no value and buying a 25 year old in prime age.

If we sell Kane and buy Aguero we'll net like 120m.

But tbh the main reason we sell fewer players now is the simple fact that most of them are fucking shit and no one wants them.

Also, when Aurier was on his way out last summer Levy didn't even want to do it. He'd rather keep a shit player for 3 years than sell him at a loss and reinvest.

We don't really have the issues United and Woolwich have where they can't sell players who might actually be useful for other clubs like Rojo, Darmian, Sokratis etc because they have insane contracts. Some of our rivals have Sanchez level players with higher wages than Son and Dele.

But anyway, if you buy talents at twice their value like we've done with Sanchez, Bergwijn, Clarke and Sessegnon, you either have to keep them forever or make a loss when selling them.

Im sure we will be doing alot of our business in Ligue 1 considering how bad the money is thwir at the moment

Soumare has a year left on his contract and we have been linked before, also Metz right back is fantastic and would love us to get him
And even tho it is popular to shit on Hitchen. He was one of the first coaches to really break that market open. He did find us Assou-Ekotto among others.

He has a network in France in place already more or less.

André Silva apparently has a 30M euro release clause
I think he would have it rough in the Premier League.

He is tailor made for the Bundesliga because Frankfurt's system is built to get the most out of him. And the vast majority of the Bundesliga teams play with very high defensive lines which he exploits.

In the Premier League you still have roughly half the league playing with low-relatively low blocks. And the rest know how to drop down and play that way.

He'd still probably score but nowhere near as much as in Germany. He struggled a lot in Spain at Sevilla once teams realised that they just had to drop deep to freeze his attack.

I think he would have it rough in the Premier League.

He is tailor made for the Bundesliga because Frankfurt's system is built to get the most out of him. And the vast majority of the Bundesliga teams play with very high defensive lines which he exploits.

In the Premier League you still have roughly half the league playing with low-relatively low blocks. And the rest know how to drop down and play that way.

He'd still probably score but nowhere near as much as in Germany. He struggled a lot in Spain at Sevilla once teams realised that they just had to drop deep to freeze his attack.
If Kane leaves, who would be best CF to try and replace him?

Ings is quite old now, and injury prone; otherwise I'd agree.
Andre Silva has a better goalscoring record in Bundesliga than Edouard in SPL and Dembele in Ligue 1. Would those 2 not struggle even more with the transition to PL?
Ings would obviously be more of a stop gap for a rebuild.

Dembelé's numbers this season have been impacted by him falling out of favour with Rudi Garcia. Last season he produced 24 goals (16 in the league) and 7 assists. Edouard has produced 20 goals this season for a shambolic Celtic, and produced 28 last season.

Silva has struggled at every club he's played at since leaving Benfica aside from Frankfurt. And even at Frankfurt he took almost a season to get going. I dunno if it is solely by his own ability or if just the league and system suits him.

I think the Bundesliga is just a better fit for him than any of the other big leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom