Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyway, it's Potter, and the financial resolve thing is about the massive compensation we're going to pay to Brighton for a manager we'll sack in 6 months.

He's got 4 years left on his contract, remember.

Russian Reaction GIF
I can see why him 'leading' Brighton to 16th place would impress Levy.

I'd be delighted to be wrong, but it seems clear that we have decided we need to operate with a Director of Football, and his name is Steve Hitchen.

With that as the structure, with the squad as it is, and with Spurs business practices the way they are, there is going to be tension between our next manager and the club, it's inevitable. They could give Mason the job and he'd be complaining within months.

For me it's about who can most effectively turn the page to a new era and get whatever squad he's got signing from the same song sheet and playing with a purpose. And while it's surely not impossible for a low-key appointment to win over the dressing room and accomplish that (Poch did after all), a real credibility and force of personality seems like what's required.

Combine fitting that bill to a T with his CV, and I just think if financial troubles in Italy open a crack of opportunity to steal Conte, the club has to go for it with everything they've got.

With the links to Rangnick and Ten Hag I see it as we are willing to change the structure of the club, but that might just be me holding out hope.

I will also say as much as I hate Levy I don't think he is a complete moron and keeping Hitchen as the main football guy, whether he is called DOF or not, is absolutely moronic. I honestly don't think there is a single person- Levy In, Levy out, media, fan, former player that thinks that Hitchen should stay in that role and that we shouldn't bring in a proper DOF. It is the one thing I think every one agrees on, even if who that should be differs. So how can Levy keep the same set up? It is beyond idiotic and unexcusable.

But if that is what is happening then I still care a little because as we saw Poch could do much better than Jose both in results and style but fuck me that will fucking horrible to see Hitchen still making transfer decisions.

I’m not to keen, sure he won them an FA cup which I would take all day long , but the fact he bottled top 4 twice, 2 seasons in a row is a huge red mark for me!
After all, Spurs dicked them 2-4 on the last day of the season after they were 2-1 up. He should be hanging his head in shame.

Hold on.... he sounds the perfect fit for us.

I've also just realised, I haven't changed my vote. Is there an "I coudn't give a fuck" option?

Anyway, it's Potter, and the financial resolve thing is about the massive compensation we're going to pay to Brighton for a manager we'll sack in 6 months.

He's got 4 years left on his contract, remember.

Russian Reaction GIF

4 years on a Brighton contract will that even cost us a million to buyout?

I will also say as much as I hate Levy I don't think he is a complete moron and keeping Hitchen as the main football guy, whether he is called DOF or not, is absolutely moronic. I honestly don't think there is a single person- Levy In, Levy out, media, fan, former player that thinks that Hitchen should stay in that role and that we shouldn't bring in a proper DOF. It is the one thing I think every one agrees on, even if who that should be differs. So how can Levy keep the same set up? It is beyond idiotic and unexcusable.
Honestly, I think the two of them really see eye-to-eye on the football world.

And their consensus is behind the times and they're both convinced it's everyone else that's wrong. Given that attitude you can see why they saw in Jose and Jose saw in them a good marriage, yesterday's men out to prove everybody wrong. It went exactly how such things always go.

I want the "modern football is bad" attitude out of any part of the club dependent on succeeding in modern football.

This is from AG's article:

Tottenham have also kept an eye on Brighton's Graham Potter, Ajax's Erik ten Hag and previously Belgium boss Roberto Martinez and it's understood that in the final days of the season more strong candidates made their interest known in the job

Seems to imply Potter and Ten Hag aren't very high on the list anymore.

Here's a scenario for you all.

If Laporta decides to give Koeman the boot (which it looks like he will). Would you be fine with him taking over Spurs?

Speaks fluent English. Did fine with both Southampton and Everton. Plays attacking football. Actually did fine with the Barca youth players once he got to know them. Will happily play the role of authoritarian and would have no problem telling players like Winks or Dier that they don't make the cut. Not a yes man either.

Won the cup with Barca as well. But Laporta wants to replace him with "his own man" by all accounts.

Would Tottenham accept Koeman?

No

Only appealing option left in my opinion is:

Ten Hag Manager
Rangnick DOF

Unless there is a real wildcard choice I am not seeing, everything else is depressing.
It's very funny how people treat Rangnick like a "Sonic and Knuckles" cartridge option who can just be plugged in with whoever their second favorite is even though they have nothing to do with each other.

(Where my real Sega heads at with that reference?)

This is from AG's article:

Seems to imply Potter and Ten Hag aren't very high on the list anymore.

The line is concerning.

I can't think of a single stronger candidate than Ten Hag that could have made their interest known.

Concerns me that we are going to make the Jose mistake going for name over fit.

A candidate who will test Spurs financial resolve could well be Rodgers in the sense that it will cost the club tens of millions in compensation to Leicester and salaries for Rodgers and his staff. He will be by far the most expensive to recruit out of all the candidates

Back
Top Bottom