Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.

Okay. I'll do the deep dive on his wiki to see if he has any experience. For the sake of the argument.

Turns out he has managed Dynamo Kiev between 2014-2017, Al-Ahli for one season. Then Ferencvaros from 2018 until now. 60+ win% at every club. 2 league titles in the Ukraine and 3 in Bulgaria.

Obviously not a name that we should go for but it is nice to see that he is doing well for himself.

I'd say a big YES to Poch under 3 conditions

1) He is given backing by the board in terms of finances
2) The club sell some of the deadwood that fell out with Poch
3) The guy has to be less stubborn. He got sacked for a reason last time. He looked really tactically inept and stubborn towards the end. No away win in a year either.
So it's a NO from your. Loud and clear.

You're being quite obstinate here.
Hell of a charge.
There are plenty of stories out there of Poch turning down players and yes, it's also true that he was asked to polish plenty of turds.
Were any of them Messi? So it stands to reason then that opinion could have been divided on any of those players. There wasn't 1 player that we were linked with during Poch's time that I was or would have been upset with him turning down. Not one! And beyond that there isn't 1 player 'turned down' that you could 100% prove was a mistake. So it's all a crapshoot that is best left up to the man expected to train them and most familiar with his tactical intentions and not Nigel down the pub or many folks on this board who show they have no idea day in day out. Everyday there's a new one, Fernandes, Tielemans, Coutinho...if folks can't see the problems with these players in general or in the specific context of the potential linking then there's little anyone can to do help them. Me? I would have hated any of these half-a-players coming.
Our youth system/young players may not be elite but he held their careers back by not wanting to loan out any young players and choosing to have them train over actually playing.
Held there careers back how? How do you gauge this? Where were their careers headed otherwise?

Surely you'd need some control group to make this statement. Otherwise someone could jsut as easily say that Skipp was actually 'made' by staying protected until he moved to Narge and had a POTY type season (not my assessment jsut going by folks comments on here) for them. See how easy that is?
One of the actual good things that happened when he left was you saw many young players going out on loan.
I'm not against the loaning or for it. I can easily see the logic in both. What I am against is the insinuation of these shit players being 'held back' from becoming Messi...or even mini Messi for that matter. Man City got Sancho off of Watford and they paid real money for him because he had talent. I don't believe he went out on loan either (could be a combo of age and lack of desire from Pep...who also has never loaned phil foden). We get players from fleetwood and hear stories about how they are held back. No, they are just shit and were never going to be anything other than league 2 cloggers.
I'm not saying Poch was shit and that Levy was a saint, I'm saying both made mistakes (Levy made many more than Poch) and it's no guarantee Poch has learned from his mistakes yet.
And Levy has shown us that he hasn't learned from his mistakes and keeps making them. Nothing has changed here and even looking at Poch now shows we are not truly seeing the scale of the fuckups. I think Poch would be mad to come back here now. And in fact, as you mention, I am not sure he has learned from his mistakes nor grown enough as a manager to satisfy my concerns about him as a manager. But those concerns have nothing to do with not wanting certain overrated players opportunistically foisted upon him or not loaning some shit youth clogger.

And for the record, I don't want him to return. He shouldn't give Levy the lifeline. but I also don't want ETH or another shortterm, quick fix in the other Chelsea reject.

You should want this. His appointment will obviate the need for updating your schtick due to Sissoko's leaving. RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK was telling me this was causing some anxiety as you were running out of low-hanging fruit. I, OTOH, do not want this. But I do look forward to ending this youth loaning nonsense.

Running out of low hanging fruit? It's pretty much all there is, and what isn't hanging has dropped off.

We need more Foden's and Sancho's not league 2 cloggers.

Foden's and Sancho's lovely. Two completely different scenarios though, yes? One left to play football, the other stayed and played football. That's the overriding point.

And there is also a lot of decent, viable grey area between the Fo-ancho's and the cloggers, and they aren't going to develop as footballers or characters, being kept in the cupboard under Poch's stairs. I don't care if it's stay and play, play reserve/U23, go out on loan, sell and buy back option. Footballers need to play football to develop, they need to play real football to develop their mentality.

And if you already know they're cloggers, then why the fuck are you keeping them at all. Get rid, preferably for a few quid, or more quid of they have some miles on the clock, don't just keep them around playing no football, helps no-one, them, you (the manager) or the club.

Last edited:
Okay. I'll do the deep dive on his wiki to see if he has any experience. For the sake of the argument.

Turns out he has managed Dynamo Kiev between 2014-2017, Al-Ahli for one season. Then Ferencvaros from 2018 until now. 60+ win% at every club. 2 league titles in the Ukraine and 3 in Bulgaria.

Obviously not a name that we should go for but it is nice to see that he is doing well for himself.

His Hungarian (not Bulgarian) side knocked out both Celtic and Dinamo Zagreb from Champions League last year.
So you could say a Hungarian side with Rebrov, was better than Tottenham with Mourinho :)

To be fair his record looks quite reasonable, not top tier reasonable, but worth a shot in one of the big leagues, by a middling side reasonable

I think KWP sucking and being scared wasn't getting fixed by a loan.

I also think a lot of the other youth players that he supposedly mishandled just aren't very good, Marcus Edwards being a prime example of an overrated player that isn't any good. He wasn't mishandled he just sucks
...can you say it a bit louder for those in the back?

His Hungarian (not Bulgarian) side knocked out both Celtic and Dinamo Zagreb from Champions League last year.
So you could say a Hungarian side with Rebrov, was better than Tottenham with Mourinho :)

To be fair his record looks quite reasonable, not top tier reasonable, but worth a shot in one of the big leagues, by a middling side reasonable
I seem to have gotten Hungary and Bulgaria mixed up then.

And yeah. With numbers like that he should be looking at managing in a bigger league soon.

Serie A would be a reasonable next step one would feel.

I'm not sure what the actual question is.
It's right here, these words below
For posterity's sake and context, weren't you fully behind the Mou appointment and could see the very many ways in which his influence was being stamped on the club?

It's funny because I've had someone else avoid a direct question in the last few days by saying something similar. I'm not sure where the disconnect is between what I see as a simple, direct question and your/his difficulty in recognizing them. A cynical person would suggest that the answer to said question might be inconvenient. Good thing I'm not a cynical person.

Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb train go choooooo....booooo
ridley scott gladiator GIF

We fought well the good fight mate

I think KWP sucking and being scared wasn't getting fixed by a loan.

I also think a lot of the other youth players that he supposedly mishandled just aren't very good, Marcus Edwards being a prime example of an overrated player that isn't any good. He wasn't mishandled he just sucks

Then get rid. Don't keep them. But don't keep them and do nothing with them, that helps no-one, you, them or the club.

And KWP might not be great, but we paid 50m in the meantime for two that aren't much better. What I would have preferred is we either used KWP as back up to Trippier the season we bought Aurier for 25 plus salary (who was fucking awful that season himself) figure out whether we want to keep him and if not sell him that season.

The second best option having bought Aurier, and already having Trippier, would surely have been to send KWP out on loan to either bump up his value and/or figure out whether he could improve for some actual game time in the mens league - as he had barely played any senior football.

So sending him on loan might not have fixed all his ills, but we could had him or some reasonable cash and a player off the books (space for another) about 2-3 years ahead of when we did, instead of a kid sitting around doing almost fuck all for three years (not even playing U23 football).

Then get rid. Don't keep them. But don't keep them and do nothing with them, that helps no-one, you, them or the club.

And KWP might not be great, but we paid 50m in the meantime for two that aren't much better. What I would have preferred is we either used KWP as back up to Trippier the season we bought Aurier for 25 plus salary (who was fucking awful that season himself) figure out whether we want to keep him and if not sell him that season.

The second best option having bought Aurier, and already having Trippier, would surely have been to send KWP out on loan to either bump up his value and/or figure out whether he could improve for some actual game time in the mens league - as he had barely played any senior football.

So sending him on loan might not have fixed all his ills, but we could had him or some reasonable cash and a player off the books (space for another) about 2-3 years ahead of when we did, instead of a kid sitting around doing almost fuck all for three years (not even playing U23 football).
See Skipp too.

Sat around with his thumb up his arse for a year under Poch, thankfully went on loan, now looks like a very useful player.

Back
Top Bottom