Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Angry Wrestling GIF

Levy saw the funds Conte wanted and then

Shocked Price Tag GIF

ETH is definitely an exciting option. Fits the Spurs module and is still a relatively young manager but with the experience of managing a top club, albeit in a weak league, but still has managed a club in the CL and took them far. He’s the only manager now that would put me back on board, although I’ll still be pissed at the club for this mess. Ten Haag is the only one for me now.

ETH is 51, older than Poch, Martinez, Potter, Howe, and is the same age as Conte. He is also older than the likes of Guardiola and Rodgers.

Late bloomer

Oh come on, Sarri is certainly a better option than Potter.

Consistently did very well with Napoli playing great football, EL title and top 3 with Chelsea, won a title with Juve.

You're right he would definitely require a lot more investment than Potter but he's a much more accomplished manager and it's not really close.
Well he’s obviously more accomplished because he coached teams with 10x the budget.

He wanted it.......along with unlimited transfer funds!

If we try to put aside some of the general frustration for a second, it's obvious that Levy couldn't hand over full control and funds to Conte. Could he help us win something? Of course, but he would only be here for a couple years at most, and god knows what he would leave behind in his wake that we would be left with. Anyone could see from a million miles away Levy was never going to let this happen.

For all of the appeal of suddenly having a chance at signing Conte, it was always going to be highly unlikely at best.

There would have been some criticisms still, but it would have been far less if the club just made it clear that Conte wasn't a fit at this time from the start and that they were working through their process. It was the abandoning of the process, chasing a pipedream, and wasting all this time for literally nothing.

I honestly think Covid fucked us good. We know Uncle Joe is a tight arse motherfucker so the stadium with NFL, sponsorship and gigs was a giant cash cow. All of that was to be used to fund everything along with expected CL football which we don’t have either, now all of it is gone at least for now.

Because Joe won’t back us we now are limited and so Conte terrifies Levy. One of the best managers in the World but one Uncle Joe won’t help us with, he won’t even loan us cash for transfers against future stadium income. Between Covid and Uncle Joe we are broke.

I honestly think Covid fucked us good. We know Uncle Joe is a tight arse motherfucker so the stadium with NFL, sponsorship and gigs was a giant cash cow. All of that was to be used to fund everything along with expected CL football which we don’t have either, now all of it is gone at least for now.

Because Joe won’t back us we now are limited and so Conte terrifies Levy. One of the best managers in the World but one Uncle Joe won’t help us with, he won’t even loan us cash for transfers against future stadium income. Between Covid and Uncle Joe we are broke.
Hmmm... The 'Uncle' thing humanises him.

Can we call him 'Step-Uncle Joe'?

Or 'StepJoe and Son'?

This is such a nonsense notion.

Juventus won SIX TITLES IN A ROW after the Conte hurricane blew out of town.

Just win. Just get better. If it doesn't work, rinse and repeat. There is nothing else.

I'm not questioning the footballing side of it, rather the financial side of things.

What I think is more nonsense is the expectation that we would bring in Conte and be able to do what he would want/need at the moment. Yes, we are a large financial club but we are poor at the moment. We have a squad that has greatly decreased in value with the exception of a few key players, and covid killed revenues for the past year.

Based on how Spurs are run, if we did bring in Conte and support him in the way we would need, we'd end up looking more like Inter at the moment trying to offload players to balance the books.

In other news, Pope Francis is reported to belong to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, while carnivoran mammals of the Ursidae family are believed to be prone to defecating in forested areas
In that case, I would appreciate it if you could attempt to perform coitus upon my own being whilst one or other (or both) of us is posed obliquely or in a slanting fashion.

Because he is a much better manager that plays a style that is much more likely to work at Spurs than Houghton.

I know Potter has been cast as the worst manager in the history of sports by many but this is getting ridiculous now.
You can be OK and over rated. Being over rated doesn't make him the worst.
That's too black and white.

In that case, I would appreciate it if you could attempt to perform coitus upon my own being whilst one or other (or both) of us is posed obliquely or in a slanting fashion.
The missus is getting her jab in a bit, if you can make it round here before 8pm I'll do my best.

At the very least you'll get some decent grub and a drinkable €4 Rioja

That’s because your comparing apples and oranges. Potter is more Rogers at Swansea, an up and coming mananger with very modern ideas, a great style of football. He took Ostersund 4 divisions up and got them Into Europe and has Brighton playing some of the best football in the league. Sarri by contrast is more established.

When Poch got sacked Ally Gold who is seen as a mouth piece of the club confirmed we had either Jose or Nagelsmann to look at. We choose the more experienced in Jose and ignored his football was out of date while Naglesmann who hasn’t won anything big but showed he could get a great tune out of average players with a very classy style of football was left. Jose and Nagelsmann are big names by far than Sarri or Potter but it’s a similar choice.

Going off record is fools game if the club is different. We don’t have large funds to spend, this isn’t the Italian league, we need a Poch mark 2. Someone who can play attacking football, work with lesser players and younger players and fit long term. Potter may not be the answer but he much closer aligns to it than Sarri. Ten Hag is probably the best bet at this stage but he may think we are a joke now.
I'm not saying we should go off records but I think it's fair to say a couple things:

1. I'm not sure Potter's success in Sweden is translatable at all to success in the Premier League.

2. Like I said, I do think Brighton play good football but results do have to matter at some point. He finished 10th win Swansea and has achieved 15th and 16th with Brighton.

3. Comparing the situation him to choosing Jose vs. Nagelsmann is utterly ridiculous. His record in Germany speaks for itself. I also really doubt Nagelsmann was an option when we sacked Poch (I could be wrong, but don't recall) since he joined RBL only like 5 months before then.

I'm not saying we should base our decision based upon the record, I'm saying it needs to play a role. Sarri also plays appealing football but has a much better track record and has shown he can compete at a very high level.

I am a fan of Potter but I'm just not sure how it would work. If we heard a coach from La Liga was a leading candidate for us after finishing 15th and 16th, but were also told "his sides play great football" I think next to nobody would be on board with that.

Back
Top Bottom