Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm with you here.
I seem to remember that Admin Admin changed the name of the starter of a fairly recent match thread from ArcspacE ArcspacE to himself, for precisely the reason you're complaining about (people couldn't see it, because he was on ignore). If admin can do it once, he can do it whenever he wants to. Although I don't have ArcspacE ArcspacE on ignore I can see how he/she starting match threads might be a frustration for you and for several others.

The problem with preventing ArcspacE ArcspacE from starting match threads (which is surely possible) may be a philosophical one, or it may be because admin doesn't need the hassle. This place is gloriously anarchic. If admin were to start actively policing the forum it would both diminish the nature of the beast and make work for admin, which I am sure s/he/they don't want.

The only solutions I can think of are:
1. Admin tells ArcspacE ArcspacE not to start match threads, or he/she will be sanctioned. This would be easy to do and easy to implement, but fundamentally alter the forum's 'free' philosophy.
2. You appeal to @rcspace's better nature - ask him/her to refrain from starting match threads. Good luck with that one! He/she will just do it more, as he/she craves attention and gets a strange, childish kick out of pissing people off.

I'm sure there are other solutions - I just can't think of any.
The mono-faceted ArcspacE ArcspacE disagreed with this post so soon after I'd posted it, he/she couldn't possibly have had time to read it!!!! lol

There you have him/her in a nutshell :) Speaking personally, I like him/her.

I‘m not sure if it’s possible, but what about some kind of separate account/admin for starting the match threads? More and more lately I’ve seen that people haven’t been able to see threads because they’ve got the thread starter on ignore so a system/admin/account just for starting the match threads would enable everyone to see them. It would also mean the threads could be started with sensible titles that give the information people need like the date, time and tv channel. Some of the threads we’ve seen lately are just moronic.
It’s happened a few times to me in the last couple of months and it’s very frustrating as the match threads are one of the best bits about the forum. The way the current system works I would have to take theat person off my ignore list to be able to see the thread, but then the rest of the forum experience is ruined because all of their posts show up.
I can see how this would be annoying. People who are being ignored by a lot of users shouldn't be able to create popular threads. Not sure what the best solution is though. I don't want the responsibility of starting match threads, I'll definitely forget.

We'll also get a situation where someone wants to make a point... "😭You changed it when I started it so you have to change it when they start it!! 😭" etc, etc...

I can see how this would be annoying. People who are being ignored by a lot of users shouldn't be able to create popular threads. Not sure what the best solution is though. I don't want the responsibility of starting match threads, I'll definitely forget.

We'll also get a situation where someone wants to make a point... "😭You changed it when I started it so you have to change it when they start it!! 😭" etc, etc...
Make him an offer he can't refuse?

giphy.gif

Case :

Only asking Case, but can the ignore option be made to only apply to a certain member's posts as opposed to their creation of thread titles.... similar to the "Search Titles Only" option in the current search bar ??

Last edited:
Only asking Case,

Only asking Case, but can the ignore option be made to only apply to a certain member's posts as opposed to their creation of thread titles.... similar to the "Search Titles Only" option in the current search bar ??
No. You ignore members, not specific content types.

No. You ignore members, not specific content types.
Hi Case
I tried emailing you directly but 'it' wouldn't let me!
It's been a blast on here mate, some really good people (I won't try and name them all) and interesting discussion over the last decade but I've had enough now - there's too many internet-warrior wankers on here for this old boy. I wouldn't mind so much if they knew how a football club was run or even if they'd ever been to an actual Spurs match but hey ho. Life's too short.
So I just wanted to thank you and the gang, sincerely and deeply, for setting it up and maintaining it over the years, you've done a great job and brought many moments of fun into our lives.
Please delete my username and records (is that what happens?) forthwith - I'm out.
best wishes to you, and to the many on here I've had a laugh with
Tom (Rutlandspur)

I could just bin the yellow/red card system and run the site like every other forum and ban anyone who causes any kind of hassle. There's a decent sized list of people that fit that profile. Anyone who's ever received a red card seems an obvious place to start.

It would be at lot less work from my end.

I'll give it some thought. Might be interesting just to try it for a bit and see what the site feels like.

Must be some forum glitch. When I click on the GB news thread it brings me to this "why did ---- get sent off?" thread
:mourwhat:
GB news..... Bringing the nation closer together

Back
Top Bottom