Gennaro Gattuso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you be happy with Gattuso as manager

• Total voters
Just seems an easy get out blaming journalists, it's just covering Levy's arse for serial incompetence. We're 2 months into our search, pre season training starts in 2 weeks. Thats your evidence we're stumbling from target to target. If you think this is all going well and we're not really after some of these managers you are really naive imo. We have form, we did similar in 2003/4.

So do you think it was a coincidence that Fonseca was ditched at the same time Gattuso became available, or were the Fonseca talks fake too?

I'm not asking you to trust Italian journalists.
The fact we ditched Fonseca for Paratici's #1 (as of yesterday) choice as of yesterday was reported by: Alasdair Gold, The Athletic, and the BBC.
All 3 are reliable, and don't have a track record of making things up. What's the chance that all 3 decided to independently make up the same story?

It's clear that Gattuso was first choice, but he was brought down by the fan outrage over his offensive comments. So if all fans took the position that all journalists are full of shit, and never said anything, he'd probably be being appointed right now.
Mate take it all with a pinch of salt. All these media outlets and accounts are driven by how many clicks and exposure they can get, yes even the likes of the BBC. Alisdair Gold is not as reliable as you think, yes he may have some contacts with the club but as has been proven through this whole manager search even he has been totally wide off the mark.

How can you even say Gattuso was first choice? Do you really think Levy would consider a bloke who famously headbutted Jordan and has made all these controversial comments in the past, oh and a very questionable managerial history? Can't you see this was never even an option and the likes of Romano and DiMarzio simply led everyone up the garden path once again? We didn't ditch Fonseca, I'm telling you Fonseca would have been a done deal long ago if talks were as advanced as they were claimed to be according to Romano, DiMarzio, Schira etc......the delays, the lack of news, the passing of time were big red flags that Fonseca was a no go, it was not going to happen.

This simply isn't true.
There are 1000 big stories on the internet, and 99.9% of them aren't recirculated by the BBC. They only comment on a tiny number of stories, and when they do they have a pretty accurate track record.

Alasdair Gold said that BOTH Fonseca's camp and Spurs officials told him that it was Spurs who pulled the plug and it was nothing to do with start dates, tax policy etc.
He is far more reliable than Italian journalists who have a track record of spewing BS.

I didnt say they recirculated every story now did I? However, you look at them and they will certainly be recircluating the same shite that gets headlines - same as all the tabloids.

Ali Gold is pretty reliable, I tend to think of him as club mouthpiece - generally in terms of trying to confirm things (rather than breaking stories). Doesnt mean everything he says is legit. I watch most of his videos, for example, and so much of it is speculative (which he is clear about) which then gets circulated by others as legit info.

And even then - Gattuso - really?

We've made such a mess of this managerial search that some people are now resorting to thinking not a single journalist in football has any inside information and that we've not held talks with any manager.

Ive thought that long before this search. If anything, this search has cemented it for me.

Take every headline with a pinch of salt, unless there are actual quotes within (and even then, check they havent been given some spin or taken out of context).

Do I believe we spoke to Gattuso? I think we probably did. Do I think we were in serious talks? About to sign him? Fan pressure saved they day? Probably not, thats speculative at best IMO.

Just seems an easy get out blaming journalists, it's just covering Levy's arse for serial incompetence. We're 2 months into our search, pre season training starts in 2 weeks. Thats your evidence we're stumbling from target to target. If you think this is all going well and we're not really after some of these managers you are really naive imo. We have form, we did similar in 2003/4.

Im not covering Levys ass, just saying what I believe is true.

The managerial search has been a clusterfuck, absolutely no denying that. I dont think its going well at all, I do think we have approached managers as reported (at least some), and I do think its a fucking shambles.

That doesnt mean I believe everything I see being reported. Most often the extent of the stories. This Gattuso one is a great example, I just dont believe for a second he was ever that close to being our manager.

Shouldn’t the DOF have something to answer for if he was behind pushing for gutusso? Fonseca was t ideal but he was nearly done only for someone to decide to pull out last min as they saw this prick become available. In any other business heads would roll. There must have been a reason for pulling out of Fonseca if it wasn’t financial. This DOF is worse than Levy.

Absolutely. Paratici’s first task at the club since joining, and he’s made a mess of it already. However, Levy will love that he now has a scapegoat to blame when things go wrong

We've made such a mess of this managerial search that some people are now resorting to thinking not a single journalist in football has any inside information and that we've not held talks with any manager.
If you really want a manager that's currently at the Euros, and you don't want his national team to be distracted by contract talks etc., what do you do ?

Smoke and mirrors: mention a name here and a name there. Don't deny any rumors, constantly look like you are just about to sign anyone brought up

Levy really is just the ultimate opportunist. Conte becomes available so despite Hitchen apparently having a list with Ten Hag at the top we just drop it and run for a man that would never work with us because of money.

Time and time again this club is just short term, whose cheap or who has a big name. It’s almost like we are run by a man who has great business tactics but doesn’t understand the sport he is in.

The below article has been posted before but it really does nail it. Football has changed even clubs like Leicester or even Brighton are now really professional, we don’t sort ourselves out we could be back to mid table for the long term, back to the 90’s.

I mostly agree with your criticism of the media. But if you don't think we were considering Gattuso, and you don't think Fonseca was in advanced talks, what do you think we've been doing these last few weeks/months?
We have been waiting for someone who is busy at the moment

Belgiums-head-coach-Roberto-Martinez-winking-at-the-press-during-a-Euro-2020-Qualifying-game-1536x762.jpg

Mate take it all with a pinch of salt. All these media outlets and accounts are driven by how many clicks and exposure they can get, yes even the likes of the BBC. Alisdair Gold is not as reliable as you think, yes he may have some contacts with the club but as has been proven through this whole manager search even he has been totally wide off the mark.

How can you even say Gattuso was first choice? Do you really think Levy would consider a bloke who famously headbutted Jordan and has made all these controversial comments in the past, oh and a very questionable managerial history? Can't you see this was never even an option and the likes of Romano and DiMarzio simply led everyone up the garden path once again? We didn't ditch Fonseca, I'm telling you Fonseca would have been a done deal long ago if talks were as advanced as they were claimed to be according to Romano, DiMarzio, Schira etc......the delays, the lack of news, the passing of time were big red flags that Fonseca was a no go, it was not going to happen.
I agree it was clearly our brilliant plan to sack our manager, replace him with a novice immediately before a cup final, approach nobody for two months , allow a media shit storm to engulf the club. Also to make our star player so disillusioned he wants to leave, make a car crash video, piss off the fans with ticket prices against Villa, end up in the Europa Conference League.

In Levy we trust, what a great strategic thinker

It's strange people put any credence in football journalists when they can literally put any shit out for clicks and follows and face no backlash when their predictions don't materialise.

Day 1: Gattuso to Spurs is a done deal. Contract signed. HERE WE GO!
Day 2: Gattuso to Spurs is OFF. Talks broke down over tax irregularities.

Etc, etc, etc.

Why would Romano have the inside scoop on every club's dealings?

Take it all with a pinch of salt and accept we have no fucking clue what's going on.
If you think a hashtag changed Levy's mind last night then you are lost.

If you really want a manager that's currently at the Euros, and you don't want his national team to be distracted by contract talks etc., what do you do ?

Smoke and mirrors: mention a name here and a name there. Don't deny any rumors, constantly look like you are just about to sign anyone brought up
Yes yes yes, this is what I've felt for many weeks. I genuinely never got distracted by the Poch, Conte, Fonseca and definitely not the Gattuso links. None made sense and none came to fruition.

I agree it was clearly our brilliant plan to sack our manager, replace him with a novice immediately before a cup final, approach nobody for two months , allow a media shit storm to engulf the club. Also to make our star player so disillusioned he wants to leave, make a car crash video, piss off the fans with ticket prices against Villa, end up in the Europa Conference League.

In Levy we trust, what a great strategic thinker
I want Levy gone mate, have done for long but even more when he sacked Poch and replaced him with Mourinho. That moment confirmed to me that he really has no idea what he is doing anymore and everything that has happened since is no surprise. He has lost the plot

It's strange people put any credence in football journalists when they can literally put any shit out for clicks and follows and face no backlash when their predictions don't materialise.
Day 1: Gattuso to Spurs is a done deal. Contract signed. HERE WE GO!
Day 2: Gattuso to Spurs is OFF. Talks broke down over tax irregularities.
Etc, etc, etc.
Why would Romano have the inside scoop on every club's dealings?

Take it all with a pinch of salt and accept we have no fucking clue what's going on.
If you think a hashtag changed Levy's mind last night then you are lost.
Exactly, very few ever question this.......Romano knows everybody and everything, just makes no sense whatsoever

Yes yes yes, this is what I've felt for many weeks. I genuinely never got distracted by the Poch, Conte, Fonseca and definitely not the Gattuso links. None made sense and none came to fruition.
Have to say when Gattuso came up yesterday I just didnt believe it or expect anything from it.

That Ive been proven right speaks volumes, because Im hardly prophetic, ITK, or even that smart 😁

I thought Fonseca was done, Conte unlikely but worth a try, hoped Poch wouldnt happen and originally wanted Potter or Ten Hag.

Levy really is Mother Theresa isn’t he , worried about upsetting the FA of some foreign country and destabilising their Euro ambitions. Or has promised the manager it won’t get out until after the Euros , just Lol, Or is choosing to wait until after the Euros before approaching his number one target , knowing we are an extremely attractive proposition right now, also backing himself to then conclude a deal in rapid time. Even a bigger LOL

LOL

We don't want his national team distracted? as if Levy would give a fuck about that, managers have signed to become club coaches before a major tournament plenty of times

Levy really is Mother Theresa isn’t he , worried about upsetting the FA of some foreign country and destabilising their Euro ambitions. Or has promised the manager it won’t get out until after the Euros , just Lol, Or is choosing to wait until after the Euros before approaching his number one target , knowing we are an extremely attractive proposition right now, also backing himself to then conclude a deal in rapid time. Even a bigger LOL

I dont think its a Euros manager, I just think we are a shambles.

If it were a Euros manager Levy wouldnt think twice about wrapping the deal up now, even if he didnt announce it until they were out.

If we do end up with a Euros manager there will be many an "I told you so" on here, but honestly I think it will just be a sign we fucked up our search so completely all we had left was the bargain bin of International managers.

Back
Top Bottom