Dane Scarlett

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has to make he has a totally cool name.

images

I hear all that, B-C, and I largely agree.

But 17 is young ,both physically and emotionally. And some youngsters have the mentality to get their heads down and graft on loan (eg Kane, Skipp), and some find it more challenging (eg Edwards).

I'm probably being optimistic, but I would rather we kept Scarlett for a year to get him stronger & fitter, hoping that Nuno does give him meaningful minutes. I know Fabio Silva joined Wolves for big money, but he was 17 last season, and according to wiki he played in 37 games (incl sub appearances) in alll competitions.

Tanganga's comments suggest Scarlett is popular and the other players want to help him develop:
“If everything goes well and he keeps working hard and remains focused and grounded then he will go to the top, because he’s a phenomenal player and I think all the players around him know that and are going to try to help him.”

Yeah that's fair, I'm not generally suggesting 17yo's go off on loan, but I wouldn't rule it out either on rare occasions.

and one goal in 45 mnutes this pre-season. Nice goal too

I suspect that Scarlett will get more time in pre-season to show his capability, and play u21 football this coming season with a number of outings in the Europa Conference league and maybe League Cup and PL (not forgetting u21's wil play in Papa John's trophy giving opportunity of 3 games before Christmas playing League 1 and League 2 sides).

This will give him more playing time with u21's (only played 5 games so far) plus some competitive football against mens sides, and maybe take a decision on a loan after Christmas. But at his age its not imperative to go on loan this season if he gets 3/4/5/6 first team appearances to build up his experience.

Not to be forgotten either is the mental thing of trying to organise day to day stuff (shopping, meals etc) which are not second nature at 17 but easier at aged 18 .

Fabio Silva was 17, same age as Dane Scarlett now, last season at Wolves. If the linked stats are correct, Silva started 15 games and came on a sub in another 21 across all competitions.

If Nuno is prepared to give Scarlett anywhere near that level of first team involvement, then I'd say keep him with the famous Spurs this season.

Plus what's the point of having world class training facilities & (allegedly) sports scientists, if we don't use that expertise to develop a 17-year-old boy into a man capable of competing physically in the PL.

There is no way Scarlett would get the same level of support in his physical development if we loan him out to some lower league outfit. And there's also a risk he'd be overplayed, or encouraged to play through injuries, and we know the long term impact that has had on other teenage prodigies.

Fabio Silva | Football Stats | Wolves U21 | Age 18 | Soccer Base

Fabio Silva was 17, same age as Dane Scarlett now, last season at Wolves. If the linked stats are correct, Silva started 15 games and came on a sub in another 21 across all competitions.

If Nuno is prepared to give Scarlett anywhere near that level of first team involvement, then I'd say keep him with the famous Spurs this season.

Plus what's the point of having world class training facilities & (allegedly) sports scientists, if we don't use that expertise to develop a 17-year-old boy into a man capable of competing physically in the PL.

There is no way Scarlett would get the same level of support in his physical development if we loan him out to some lower league outfit. And there's also a risk he'd be overplayed, or encouraged to play through injuries, and we know the long term impact that has had on other teenage prodigies.

Fabio Silva got more game time than he deserved due to Jimenez injury. With that in mind, I don't think in normal circumstances, Nuno would give Fabio Silva or Dane Scarlett that much game time. If Ings signs, there would be very little room for Dane Scarlett, beside an injury crisis.

Things can go ugly during loan, but it doesn't stop some youngster to gain needed experience, and help them with solid career afterward. Training, doing gym work is one thing; playing men football to earn experience is also vital. Teammates can't get as nasty and dirty as what opposition would try. Opportunity to learn other aspect of the game is the attraction of loan deal, if there is a clear pathway to first team.

Last edited:
Fabio Silva got more game time than he deserved due to Jimenez injury. With that in mind, I don't think in normal circumstances, Nuno would give Fabio Silva or Dane Scarlett that much game time. If Ings signs, there would be very little room for Dane Scarlett, beside an injury crisis.

Things can go ugly during loan, but it doesn't stop some youngster to gain needed experience, and help them with solid career afterward. Training, doing gym work is one thing; playing men football to earn experience is also vital. Teammates can't get as nasty and dirty as what opposition would try everything.
Dane is still only 17 and technically in school. I think that it could be worth it to keep him around until the January window since I do think that he could get some minutes in the ECL and the cups depending on the draw. And then we could look at loaning him out in January to finish up the season.

If school is an issue then we should look at loaning him to a London club like Orient or similar I guess.

And next season he should get a full season on loan unless he really impresses.

Silva didn’t have players like Kane or Son ahead of him in the pecking order, in fact, with Jiminez’s injury, he had an almost clear run to the first team.

Even if Kane goes, I can see us spending money on CF, who will then need to be played to justify expenditure. And there will also be Parrott, another CF prospect who’s a year ahead of Scarlett,

At 17, you would normally have no issue with Scarlett sticking around, getting a couple of first team run outs but also playing U21/PL2 games.

But now he’s already tasting first team football, and is clearly physically developed, I would definitely think about doing what we did with both Parrott and Kane, and keeping him around until Jan, giving him some LC and ECL minutes, reviewing progress and then maybe finding him a smart loan (pref abroad) in Jan, and then review again next summer.

There will be much less opportunities for him in the latter half of the season (we either progress in cups and they get more serious or we go out and are only playing PL) and after tasting first team football hopefully earlier in the season, he’ll be keen to continue challenging himself and developing, and maybe going back to just U21 football won’t suffice, or keep him happy.

As ever, I caveat this with “only if a smart loan can be found”.

Things can go ugly during loan, but it doesn't stop some youngster to gain needed experience, and help them with solid career afterward. Training, doing gym work is one thing; playing men football to earn experience is also vital. Teammates can't get as nasty and dirty as what opposition would try everything.
He gets nowhere near that i would imagine if Wolves don’t sell Jota and Jiminez does not get injured. If we sell Kane and Son gets injured I suspect we will run the poor sod into the ground, unless we replace our big two unlike Wolves

With injuries Wolves didn’t have much choice though.

Dane is still only 17 and technically in school. I think that it could be worth it to keep him around until the January window since I do think that he could get some minutes in the ECL and the cups depending on the draw. And then we could look at loaning him out in January to finish up the season.

If school is an issue then we should look at loaning him to a London club like Orient or similar I guess.

And next season he should get a full season on loan unless he really impresses.

Most scholars are schooled at Spurs during their Academy scholarship, I think, and Scarlett is in 2nd year of his scholarship.

I think we need to buy a striker (regadless of where we end up with Kane), but I think Scarlett is fully capable of playing a number of games in Europa Conference League and domestic cups, some off bench some starts and even some appearances off bench in PL this coming season.

I'd probably keep him at Spurs all season, and reviewed next summer as to whether he needs a loan or could be an option as a second striker in 22/23.

Certainly keep him until January and see how it goes.
I gotta feeling he won't need a loan but if I'm wrong then Jan might be the time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom