The entire Saudi Arabian soverign, population and government.. AKA Newcastle (A) 1630KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look at what he did vs Chelsea too. I do think his reflexes should be better at changing his body position in the last second to ensure ball goes away from goal.

You're right but Nuno is to blame for that result as a whole, but are you saying that Dier doesn't have a problem with standing still in the box in key moments? Is it something he's getting better at?

But as long as Rodon is able to eventually make that block, the end result may be okay? Are there any goals you can point to where Rodon's lack of reactivity is to blame? From what you've said he seems like the opposite of Romero.
I think Dier looks on his toes this season (and a fair chunk of last season too) which includes body position etc. He 100% should be back in the England squad, way better than Mings, Keane and probably on par with Coady and Maguire (they are similar players all share similar limitations on the ball Maguire edging both in that respect but both Coady and Dier better more mobile defenders than Maguire all similar influences on their teams, good leaders). Stones & White offer something totally different on the ball with Stones ahead of white on experience, will use one of these against dross low-block teams.

So hadn't given it any specific thought until now but yes, you're spot on with my views between Romero vs Rodon. It's nothing to do with specific execution of what either have done (eg vs Villa or Chavs or whoever) more to what each bring to the team, how they play effects the dynamic of how the team functions.

To specifically look at Romero he's making countless mistakes every single game (I find it a bit odd that people calling out Dier for what they perceive as 1 mistake against Chelsea or 1 mistake against Wolves, whilst ignoring 5 or 6 for Romero in the first half alone against Newcastle!!). What I see in Romero is a player that influences how the entire team play or at least his presence better matches how the team intends to play. If we want to take control of a game (going by what Nuno has said in his pre/post confs) then Romero is a player better suited to that aim, as he's aggressive, looks to engage, get ahead of, intercept the ball. Rodon to my eyes has been the complete opposite to this, so if we play Rodon then he suits a reactive Tottenham, a low-block Tottenham (a Jose Tottenham).

Romero is super high risk, he's missing loads of his interceptions/tackles and has been rolled by attackers, everytime this happens he's now out the game, oppo are attacking us and Dier is now exposed on his own. BUT I'm more than happy for Romero to be in the side because I want us to play more aggressively, the game state between passive and agressive is set by him as one of the major contributors (Skipp, Reggie, Emerson, PEH have shown to be aggressive and now Son, Lucas and Ndombele can move more that way as has been seen in recent games, all early days).

But what's important is to look at Dier's role in this, he's the one currently carrying the can for Romero loosing his battles/tackles/getting rolled. This partnership holds the best balance, it's new and needs loads of time to develop and it has to be said that with Romero spending most of his time with us in Argentina or self isolating in Croatia there has been very little time spent on the training ground together!! I expect this development to be in the form of Romero making better decissions when he decides to win the ball and for Dier to be better in his anticipation of Romero not winning his batlles. And of course communiction between the two, Romero speaks no English. But the basic peices are there for a sound (but high risk) partnership.

FB982TCXsAMQv03

i wish the best for nuno. But looking at the comments youd think we had beaten chelsea or Woolwich. Saudi or no saudi, newcastle are utter piss and will probably be relegated and we managed to make them look good. If they had the quality to make something of their counters we’d have been in trouble. Sloppy defending. Mistakes. Still no shape.

A wins a win but fucking hell i forgot we were playing newcastle and not barcelona the way people are acting on here. 3-2 win agaisnt relegation fodder. What did we learn?
I'm still angry about the NLD and this team has a long way to go to win me back over. But you can't say with a straight face that we made Newcastle look good. I'm sorry but that's utter nonsense.

They were on top for the first 10 minutes but after that it was one of the most dominant displays of football you will see in this league all season long. We ruined them and we even managed to play some nice slick football again for the first time in ages.

Yeah, they are crap. And yes we have a long way to go but yesterday was a good performance and the players had to show a lot of character when every pundit was rabidly pro Newcastle and the crowd were manic.

You have to give the lads some credit sometimes

i wish the best for nuno. But looking at the comments youd think we had beaten chelsea or Woolwich. Saudi or no saudi, newcastle are utter piss and will probably be relegated and we managed to make them look good. If they had the quality to make something of their counters we’d have been in trouble. Sloppy defending. Mistakes. Still no shape.

A wins a win but fucking hell i forgot we were playing newcastle and not barcelona the way people are acting on here. 3-2 win agaisnt relegation fodder. What did we learn?
well, who's a little beacon of hope and light then?

i wish the best for nuno. But looking at the comments youd think we had beaten chelsea or Woolwich.

There's been no wankfest for Nuno.... Only comments I've noted about him are complaints at the lack of subs.

Saudi or no saudi, newcastle are utter piss and will probably be relegated and we managed to make them look good.

Rubbish..... They didn't look good at all....

10m opening where they blew their load. We were completely dominant otherwise.... Biggest criticism ought to be that we shifted into 2nd gear and didn't go for the throat in the second half.

Scoreline flatters them; but they didn't look good.

If they had the quality to make something of their counters we’d have been in trouble.

So, visibly and repeatedly lacking the quality to break and struggling to get on the ball for long spells amounts to them looking good?

Hmmmmm....

Sloppy defending. Mistakes. Still no shape.

5CTWN4.png

Nah... No shape to that at all. :roll:

Last edited:
The only thing that really disappointed me yesterday was the second goal. I expected the first 10 minutes and for us to concede but after that we was completely dominant especially from the equaliser onwards. We seem to have recovered from that really poor spell and integrated kane back in the side. We've played some decent attacking football over the last 2 premier league games.

what did he say?

The only thing that really disappointed me yesterday was the second goal. I expected the first 10 minutes and for us to concede but after that we was completely dominant especially from the equaliser onwards. We seem to have recovered from that really poor spell and integrated kane back in the side. We've played some decent attacking football over the last 2 premier league games.
why be disappointed - it was a fluke/accident, sometimes when it happens you get away with it, or rectify it into row Z. Dier pulled the short straw and kneed it past Lloris.

for some it's proof positive that Dier is responsible for all the worlds ills,

for adults, it's just a bit of shit luck.

what did he say?

I think he means the comments in general and I agree. Whilst the result yesterday was good and so was Aston Villa, I won’t be forgetting that horrendous Woolwich and Palace performances in a hurry. Also, the 2nd half v Chelsea was a shambles too. Beating Newcastle is one thing, but going to Westham away at the weekend and taking 3 points is another. Win that, then I’ll start to believe we are slowly moving in the right direction. I’m still very cautious with this team, as I just don’t think we are that good, and when you have a player like Dier constantly making mistakes, you are always on the edge watching us.

I think he means the comments in general and I agree. Whilst the result yesterday was good and so was Aston Villa, I won’t be forgetting that horrendous Woolwich and Palace performances in a hurry. Also, the 2nd half v Chelsea was a shambles too. Beating Newcastle is one thing, but going to Westham away at the weekend and taking 3 points is another. Win that, then I’ll start to believe we are slowly moving in the right direction. I’m still very cautious with this team, as I just don’t think we are that good, and when you have a player like Dier constantly making mistakes, you are always on the edge watching us.

And Romero. Fucking hell what a Bambi.

How did Newcastle look good? They had one shot on goal (in the first 2 minutes). Zero the remaining 88).

We completely dominated them except the stupid own goal we conceded.

why be disappointed - it was a fluke/accident, sometimes when it happens you get away with it, or rectify it into row Z. Dier pulled the short straw and kneed it past Lloris.

for some it's proof positive that Dier is responsible for all the worlds ills,

for adults, it's just a bit of shit luck.
It’s shit defending. The ball didn’t get deflected or anything. Dier tried to head a ball at his knee and kneed it into his own net with little pressure on him.

Mistakes happen, but it’s not unlucky… It’s poor defending. He is lucky it didn’t cost us any points.

We've been far better at retaining possession and having actual offensive schemes to break presses and get players forward in the midblock. We still struggle to break a set low block at times, but any team that isn't City does too. It's looking great. The real test now comes during our next 3 games.

We're a very different team than the one that started the season, and in a good way.

How did Newcastle look good? They had one shot on goal (in the first 2 minutes). Zero the remaining 88).

We completely dominated them except the stupid own goal we conceded.
For 10 to 15 minutes they were winning every ball all over the pitch. We were a total shambles.
Every Spurs player looked 2 yards behind them, they were far more fired up and if it stayed that way I'd have been concerned.
Not sure how it changed so comprehensively in our favour but thankfully it did.

Back
Top Bottom