Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was fucking shit, let’s not try and out icing on it.
He had a chance to level us and squandered it.
Luckily the mighty Hojberg did what he couldn’t and Diers shit free kick caused more good than 150 of Kane’s since 2014

He ran around a bit and passed it properly isn’t what we need from our only striker, Janssen did that sometimes too

Some of the posts in here, it’s like NASA engineers picking up scraps from the Challenger and saying “well look this bit is still white, think positive”

Just clearly showing your bias here. Janssen never in his life played balls close to the quality Kane managed to show today, multiple cross field passes which unlocked the defence. Nobody else on our side is capable of it. Also worked incredibly hard (to the point where he was shattered at the end) and his hold up was very solid.

It was a good CF performance, only lacking a goal. But you'd what, stick Son up top? Who also hasn't scored in a while, and has wasted better chances in that time, ones Kane has given him.

Just clearly showing your bias here. Janssen never in his life played balls close to the quality Kane managed to show today, multiple cross field passes which unlocked the defence. Nobody else on our side is capable of it. Also worked incredibly hard (to the point where he was shattered at the end) and his hold up was very solid.

It was a good CF performance, only lacking a goal. But you'd what, stick Son up top? Who also hasn't scored in a while, and has wasted better chances in that time, ones Kane has given him.
When you’ve got a PL goal to talk about from Kane, get back to me.

Not interested

Prove he wasn’t

"Roll up! Roll up! Attention, Europe. Was Harry Kane fucking shit this evening?"

Animated GIF

To be entirely objective, Kane didn't have a bad performance. 110% effort today and he was solid. He did the Llorente role quite well today to my delight with a couple solid passes. Probably a lot of the other good stuff won't be caught in a stat line or highlight reel.

But i'm also cognizant of the fact that it was against Leeds who I expected Kane to do well against. Do I think that he's going to be a great striker again based on this performance? No, not really. Nothing suggests that he's going to turn it around.

The main problems still linger for me. He's still one of the slowest players on the pitch, his movement/mobility is terrible and his pressing is non existent. I still expect him to get bullied/dominated by better PL level defenders. His physicality/athleticism is just not there.

Can a 29 year old athlete suddenly add pace, mobility, strength, quickness? I can't think of one example to be honest.

He's on the way back, just not fit enough yet. Was fucked by the end of the game, too slow in body and mind. But in the earlier part of the game, he was showing some quality and really should have scored near the start of the 2nd half.
On the way back from what? His sulk? He hasn’t been injured so there’s no excuse for his chronic lack of fitness at the moment.

But i'm also cognizant of the fact that it was against Leeds who I expected Kane to do well against. Do I think that he's going to be a great striker again based on this performance? No, not really. Nothing suggests that he's going to turn it around.

The main problems still linger for me. He's still one of the slowest players on the pitch, his movement/mobility is terrible and his pressing is non existent. I still expect him to get bullied/dominated by better PL level defenders. His physicality/athleticism is just not there.

Can a 29 year old athlete suddenly add pace, mobility, strength, quickness? I can't think of one example to be honest.

He's not quick but has never been, so not an issue. Lots of top CF's aren't quick. He's perfectly strong (see him holding off defenders multiple times today, he's not weak .. at all) so all he needs to do physically is add fitness levels as he waned towards the end, and get a bit of sharpness back.

And pressing non-existent? He worked very hard today, dropped deep, playing for the team, got stuck in .. this was not a performance in which he wandered around and just played a couple of good passes. All that was lacking was a bit more sharpness in front of goal.

He was fucking shit, let’s not try and put icing on it.
He had a chance to level us and squandered it.
Luckily the mighty Hojberg did what he couldn’t and Diers shit free kick caused more good than 150 of Kane’s since 2014

He ran around a bit and passed it properly isn’t what we need from our only striker, Janssen did that sometimes too

Some of the posts in here, it’s like NASA engineers picking up scraps from the Challenger and saying “well look this bit is still white, think positive”

I like that analogy. But I think it's more akin to a NASA rocket that has been to the moon 6 times before but has a temporary launch ban due to the unstable pedestal that sits beneath it.

He's not quick but has never been, so not an issue. Lots of top CF's aren't quick. He's perfectly strong (see him holding off defenders multiple times today, he's not weak .. at all) so all he needs to do physically is add fitness levels as he waned towards the end, and get a bit of sharpness back.

And pressing non-existent? He worked very hard today, dropped deep, playing for the team, got stuck in .. this was not a performance in which he wandered around and just played a couple of good passes. All that was lacking was a bit more sharpness in front of goal.
Just not seeing it mate. You've been defending him since you've joined this forum. It's been 2-3 months and we're still having this same conversation.

"The team is shit..."
"But Son/Moura..."
"He just needs match fitness..."
"Kane just needs to score..."

I mean, what's next?

He's not quick but has never been, so not an issue. Lots of top CF's aren't quick.
Who are 2-3 top CFs that are slower/less quick than Kane?

Just not seeing it mate. You've been defending him since you've joined this forum. It's been 2-3 months and we're still having this same conversation.

"The team is shit..."
"But Son/Moura..."
"He just needs match fitness..."
"Kane just needs to score..."

I mean, what's next?

Who are 2-3 top CFs that are slower/less quick than Kane?

And in that time there's been 11 league games .. you think that's a big enough time span to write off a player?

He played well today, so I have nothing to defend or justify. I was happy with the way he played. Lots of really good signs, thought the pressing was good, passing excellent, hold up play really solid. 7.5/10, certainly better than Son or Lucas.

Guys like Higuain or Ibra of late are no notably quicker than Kane is. Giroud carved out a decent career and was significantly slower even when he was Kane's age. Loads of other strikers historically didn't have pace at all and were effective.

And in that time there's been 11 league games .. you think that's a big enough time span to write off a player?
You think he looked physically good during the Euros?

Lots of really good signs, thought the pressing was good, passing excellent, hold up play really solid. 7.5/10
:harrylol:

Guys like Higuain or Ibra of late are no notably quicker than Kane is. Giroud carved out a decent career and was significantly slower even when he was Kane's age. Loads of other strikers historically didn't have pace at all and were effective.

Higuain was in the MLS at age 32

Ibra was definitely quicker than Kane and a physical freak of nature and one of the most imposing strikers of his generation

Giroud was never a top level striker. His career high in the PL was 16 goals. And he scored 33 goals in 120 apps in his last 5 seasons in the PL (from ages 29-34). If that's the kind of production you're expecting from Kane from here on out, then I won't disagree.

You think he looked physically good during the Euros?

:harrylol:

Higuain was in the MLS at age 32

Ibra was definitely quicker than Kane and a physical freak of nature and one of the most imposing strikers of his generation

Giroud was never a top level striker. His career high in the PL was 16 goals. And he scored 33 goals in 120 apps in his last 5 seasons in the PL (from ages 29-34). If that's the kind of production you're expecting from Kane from here on out, then I won't disagree.

You can post laughing images all you want .. 7.5/10 is a totally fair appraisal of his performance for me. He played well. He created chances for others (Put Son through on goal, multiple balls out wide to start attacks), won free kicks, held the ball up and laid it off. He did everything right for a CF apart from score a goal.

So? He was still incredibly effective most of his career while not being quick. Ibra was not noticeably any quicker than Kane for a lot of his career, played nearly entirely back to goal. Another one who wasn't quick at all was Batistuta. Loads of centre forwards who are effective without pace have existed. He was just as slow last season and was incredibly effective, he hasn't got slower.

Another one who wasn't quick at all was Batistuta. Loads of centre forwards who are effective without pace have existed. He was just as slow last season and was incredibly effective, he hasn't got slower.
Mate, he played in the 80s and 90s. The game has changed since then.

In today's game, you pretty much need some sort of pace/quickness etc., regardless of position.

Especially in the Premier League.

On the way back from what? His sulk? He hasn’t been injured so there’s no excuse for his chronic lack of fitness at the moment.
I don't think fitness is the issue. He was never Usain Bolt. He just looks like a player that's lost a yard through injuries and general decline. He's not going to recover any special levels of athleticism and if he isn't fit enough to play under Conte's methods he's not going to get fitter under anybody else's

He's just older and slower, that's a permanent decline.

Back
Top Bottom