Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC / Levy are always trying to find hidden gems.

It's like trying to buy unknown international stocks with high/risk and high probability of going bust instead of buying proven domestic companies you know.

The former strategy almost always never works.

Going for punts is fine, but you need to supplement it with players you know will come in and be a real upgrade. Robertson was a bit of a punt at that price, but they brought in guys like Alisson/Van Djik to come in as full on upgrades as well.

We shop a bit too much in the 20-30 range for me and a lot are failures. Romero was actually an impressive one and looked a class above our other signings, so the injury is disappointing to say the least.

This fraud needs binning ASAP. Came here to use us as a training facility in between Argentina games. Can't see him coming good in the Prem. As an international signing you either hit the ground running or you don't at all. Too many examples of this in our recent transfer history.

Well I think me myself and most others are saying that "dont buy him" based on what we have seen up to now.

If he comes back and proves himself then this will be new evidence to decide on.

Right now these 533 minutes with half season are nowhere near enough to cough up 50 mil for a CB.
I don't think we disagree, but some of the posts on here seem to suggest that the decision should already be made now - I'm saying that we need to wait and see what happens Jan to May. We don't need yet another player being thrown to the wolves by the fans when he hasn't really had a proper chance yet.

If he doesn't come back from injury, obviously don't buy.
If he comes back from injury, but it still seems to niggle him a couple of months later, don't buy.
If he comes back fit but continues to make poor decisions, maybe gets another red or two, don't buy.
If he comes back fit and seems to be improving in terms of his decision-making (bearing in mind he is very young), keep.

We can't know now which of the above will be the case, so people saying now "don't buy him" are jumping the gun unnecessarily - it's very much a case of wait and see (which we have to anyway).

This fraud needs binning ASAP. Came here to use us as a training facility in between Argentina games. Can't see him coming good in the Prem. As an international signing you either hit the ground running or you don't at all. Too many examples of this in our recent transfer history.
Yes I’m sure he wanted to get injured.

The bolded sentence makes me question how long you’ve followed football. If anything, it’s the opposite. Players with PL experience settle faster than players from outside leagues.

Yes I’m sure he wanted to get injured.

The bolded sentence makes me question how long you’ve followed football. If anything, it’s the opposite. Players with PL experience settle faster than players from outside leagues.
When was the last time a new signing came to the prem, started off dogshit and turned it around? Very rarely happens any more, if ever.

The successful signings bang from the beginning - Salah, Bruno, even Sonny scored on his debut. I'm fed up of waiting 2-3 years still clinging to 'if only he can get a run of games/hit a bit of form/have one bounce in off his arse - then he can finally replicate the quality he showed abroad'. Almost all of our signings in recent memory fall into that category for one reason or another, and it just feels like Romero will too.

When was the last time a new signing came to the prem, started off dogshit and turned it around? Very rarely happens any more, if ever.

The successful signings bang from the beginning - Salah, Bruno, even Sonny scored on his debut. I'm fed up of waiting 2-3 years still clinging to 'if only he can get a run of games/hit a bit of form/have one bounce in off his arse - then he can finally replicate the quality he showed abroad'. Almost all of our signings in recent memory fall into that category for one reason or another, and it just feels like Romero will too.
Guess you are ignoring Salah's Chelsea stint when he was age 22-24... which is just about the same age as Romero.

Also, you say something like "even Sonny scored on his debut" as if just by scoring on his debut means you hit the ground running. In that case, Bergwijn hit the ground running too.

How many players come right into the league and are a top player immediately? If they do, they probably cost over 50 mil and signed by City, United, or Chelsea.

Guess you are ignoring Salah's Chelsea stint when he was age 22-24... which is just about the same age as Romero.

Also, you say something like "even Sonny scored on his debut" as if just by scoring on his debut means you hit the ground running. In that case, Bergwijn hit the ground running too.

How many players come right into the league and are a top player immediately? If they do, they probably cost over 50 mil and signed by City, United, or Chelsea.
Yes Salah flopped at chelsea. Went on to be great elsewhere - which is probably what will happen with romero.

The Son comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but his first season wasn't too bad - and definitely much better than anyone we've signed since. That's all I ask for - someone to come in and not be a complete disaster from the off. At least then there is something to build from. With players like Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bergwijn there is literally no hope of them ever making it at Spurs anymore.

Yes Salah flopped at chelsea. Went on to be great elsewhere - which is probably what will happen with romero.

The Son comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but his first season wasn't too bad - and definitely much better than anyone we've signed since. That's all I ask for - someone to come in and not be a complete disaster from the off. At least then there is something to build from. With players like Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bergwijn there is literally no hope of them ever making it at Spurs anymore.

Romero hasn't been a "disaster from the off" tho'.

How did Modric do in his 1st season at Tottenham?

The Romero deal is actually why I'm completely convinced Paratici is corrupt.

Getting a 50m worth player on loan with an OPTION to buy is dodgy beyond belief that offers absolutely zero benefit to the selling club minus a reduction of wage bill which isn't really a benefit when you're losing a quality player.

The Romero deal is actually why I'm completely convinced Paratici is corrupt.

Getting a 50m worth player on loan with an OPTION to buy is dodgy beyond belief that offers absolutely zero benefit to the selling club minus a reduction of wage bill which isn't really a benefit when you're losing a quality player.
Paratici is 100% going to jail - hope Levy too

Back
Top Bottom