Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

While we should have never put ourselves in this position with our performances, I literally couldn’t care less if we get knocked out.

I don’t understand this angle. Didn’t UEFA agree to the cancellation/postponement before the match? Like, how do you agree that day and now come back and say “we’ll you had 13 players and should’ve fielded a team, so you forfeit”. That’s just a ridiculous position.
I think we called it off before referring it to UEFA, although they agreed we had a case - think that's how it played out.

It seems utterly ridiculous to me that we're being painted as the bad guys in this situation. Have people forgotten what COVID is or something?

The worst thing to happen would be Rennes forfeiting and us going through because of that, though. Imagine how we'd feel if we saw another Premier League club progressing in Europe like that.

It seems utterly ridiculous to me that we're being painted as the bad guys in this situation. Have people forgotten what COVID is or something?

The worst thing to happen would be Rennes forfeiting and us going through because of that, though. Imagine how we'd feel if we saw another Premier League club progressing in Europe like that.

It’s going to hit everyone if the transmission is as bad as they say. Think of Liverpool with 10-20 players with Covid and their CL campaign, it could fuck a huge number of clubs in very unpredictable ways.

The panel will rule that we forfeit the game. I don't see how they can do anything else.

They will probably fine us too and I wouldn't rule out a UEFA ban next year.

Ludicrous as all that sounds, we are actually get our asses pumped because we had a covid outbreak....

#Only Spurs
Animation Falling GIF
Nah - forfeit the game is the most they'll do.

They can't set a dangerous precedent by fining or banning us from UEFA competitions as a covid outbreak is possible at any single club in Europe.

If they did that to us, then they'd have to do it to one of the darlings of Europe if they had a similar outbreak and had to miss a game.

I've just checked Rennes' fixtures and they do not have a game between Jan 16 and 23 which is a guaranteed free slot for Spurs.
Their fixture dates are:
Dec 12
Dec 18
Dec 22
Jan 8, 16 and 23
Feb 6, 13 and 20.
Does anyone have any doubt that Rennes are just being twats as the match is meaningless to them and they're just feeling "I'm alright Jack".

If Rennes needed the win, they'd be bending over backwards.

With all the grief we are getting from various sources I kind of just wish we had fielded a team (provided we had the 13 players and a GK) and if Rennes players had got infected and subsequently missed games then that's theirs and UEFA's fault for being such twats.
:avbfu:

There's conflicting reports.

Do we actually know whether we had 13 registered for Europa players and a goalie available?

It could all hinge on that.

We still did the right thing regardless for the safety of ours and the opposition players.

I doubt Rennes would have been happy if we played the game and infected a shit load of their players.

In fact we should probably have bluffed them and told them the team we were sending it was riddled with covid but we had no choice.......... I wonder whether the Rennes players would fancy tipping up to that for a dead rubber for them.

I still see fans who want us to quit the Conference League. It's a good chance to win a trophy, get some money incoming, try players.

No wonder we are alergic to trophies. Some fans need to grow up.

Back
Top Bottom